• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Early Anime Site 'Anime Web Turnpike' Goes Offline

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
That takes me back.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
So sad!I totally remember using this all the time. Ah memories.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, this takes me back. I don't date back quite as far as some do, but I still have fond memories of using the Turnpike to find other sites, back in the early 2000's when I was first venturing into the internet world. I can't say I've thought of the site in years, but...man, that takes me back.

And ditto on remembering Pocket Bishonen/Bishoujo. Now that REALLY takes me back. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Pocket Bishoujo was actually a spinoff of Pocket Bishonen... At one point, I had an almost complete collection... then my harddrive crashed T.T

Oh yeah, I used both sites, and I collected many bishounen and bishoujo. If you just do general google searches you can still find people who have them uploaded to places. I want to get my Ferio back to pair with Fuu, who I recently got again.

Both sites are back up again. The difference is that the Pocket Bishounen site is run by someone new, and all of the Bishounen have started from scratch. The selection is not as big, and it seems like it's only one person who's doing all of the work. I'd like to help out, because I'd like to see the site grow (more than likely it will be taken down again once the person is tired of paying to maintain the site).

As for Pocket Bishoujo, the site was down for a while as well, but once it rebooted all of the old Bishoujo were brought back, including the Gym Leaders. That's something that I wish Pocket Bishounen had back in the day - selected gym leaders that had 10 questions to answer instead of three.

My favorite part of the Bishoujo site was that Fuu Hououji was one of the gym leaders. It made my day that she was chosen over Hikaru and Umi. My sister and I were pretty dedicated to capturing all of the gym leaders even though a majority were from series we had never seen still haven't seen.

In fact, it was Pocket Bishoujo that first introduced me to Slayers. My sister finally captured Filia, a gym leader, and after all of the research she did (using Anipike websites) Filia became her favorite character and she wanted to watch the series. Since Slayers Try was coming out at the time, I started to buy the dubbed VHS. Yeah, the third season was my introduction to the series, and I still haven't seen all of it. I only bought as far as the fourth VHS of Try. Soon after starting Try, a friend of mine started buying the first season on VHS, so I got to see about half of the first season as well. I still haven't finished that either. And at one point I ended up watching the last episode of Next just to watch it. Laughing I have since bought the entire 3-season pack from Funimation, and the series is on my Pile of Shame to complete someday.

Of the three seasons, Try's OP and ED are probably my favorite. But Slayers tended to have awesome OP/EDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
I feel bad because I did not even know about Anime Web Turnpike, at least I do not remember ever seeing it. If I had known about it I would have visited it at least occasionally.

I did not know about Pocket Bishoujo either.
I am glad that this thread let me discover that site. I am not really interested in playing the game, but it looks like a good resource for information about characters.
Thank you to the people who mentioned it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
I used it quite a bit back in the day. Though admittedly I had completely forgotten that it was a thing over the years. Still, sad to see it go. Sad
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
So why it is offline?
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
That's very sad to see, I know Anime Web turnpike used to be the earliest anime website that came out before ANN or any current anime websites we have today. RIP Anime Web Turnpike. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ah, memories of pre-2000 internet. I miss the personal touch of fan websites.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
So why it is offline?

Who knows, it can be a many number of things, though it would be too much to list, kinda funny the article doesn't mentioned why or how it got offline.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
So why it is offline?

I'm thinking it has been dead for quite awhile. It simply might be that the owner has decided it is not worth paying for the monthly fees for it to remain online.
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
(sigh) Those were the days.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Both sites are back up again. The difference is that the Pocket Bishounen site is run by someone new, and all of the Bishounen have started from scratch. The selection is not as big, and it seems like it's only one person who's doing all of the work. I'd like to help out, because I'd like to see the site grow (more than likely it will be taken down again once the person is tired of paying to maintain the site).

B-but... I want my "first caught by Dessa" badge back for chaos... and the "alternate" one that got made as a gag.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey I remember that!

dear god I'm old...
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
So why it is offline?

We may never know why it went offline. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3