• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director of Gundam SEED Thinks Anime Has Too Many Regulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scowler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
TV airwaves are a public resource, so the government has every right to regulate. If you don't like it, feel free to go the OVA route.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
In my opinion, fan service ruined anime in general. Also I believe it will only get worse and worse in the future.

I used to watch a lot of fanservice anime, but the problem is they were just too much fanservice anime and less anime with good and superb storyline and it ruin the creativity of storyline in anime, and most of anime I've seen are fanservice (and moeblob) that just lack creativity and innovation. I'll agreed that it'll get worse if they don't change or stop targeting those audiences, not every anime fans like the fanservice and moe stuff. I speak as a former consumer of fanservice anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This is just not fanservice he means, things like drugs or underaged teens drinking alcohol can not be animated for tv these days.
How many times do characters say oh She got drunk on carbonated soda.

Perfect example is JoJo, Jotaro cigarette smoking is now blacked out, i guess its because it promotes cigarettes and his under aged but his a delinquent. Other examples are how you cant really really do a sex scene in non hentai anime.

Oh and dont you dare ever criticize Japanese goverment or the networks will not air it.
This is alot broader than showing some nipples on tv, it effects the themes and plots of shows. The Drug scene in Welcome to the NHK now would not fly at all!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope not Banjo but you of course have a point. And i forgot JOJO. For example Kill la Kill was the directors "worst" show(7/10) and i blame the audience he had to pander to. Trigger you need to be better ! BUT the are still good mangas being published ! Not all hope is lost.
I follow 140 manga(old and new ones so maybe half are form the last 5 years) on [some illegal manga reader site] and good shows are coming this fall. And tons of crap.
Still one day a fire will rise in the east ! I am sure. Maybe before 2020.
Could Baccano even be made in 2014 ? Tons of alcohol, smoking, animal cruelty and brain explosions.

[EDIT: copyright-infringing site name removed ~ Zalis]

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed May 21, 2014 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Fukuda is absolutely correct, anime does have too much censorship and regulations but the lack of ideas in some genres and a business model that cuts casual fans out for the most part is also to blame. The industry needs to be more welcome for casual fans to support their favorite series and the first thing that needs changing are BD/DVD prices, they should be 30-50% less than they cost today.

What you're suggusting would utterly destroy the anime industry. Anime is able to be able because of it's business model. It's a very American mindset to want to market something to the biggest, most generalzied audience possible. It is what lead to the downfall of American video games and animation, where 90% of the things produced as shooters and children's comedy because those are what sells the most so companies will make those since those yield the most profit. People who claim they want more variety, and then in the same breath ask for more generalized and casual content are contradicting themselves and do not understand how niche products work.

As someone who has watched anime for 30 years now, I agree that TV has become more censored over the years, though I don't think it has harmed too much. For children's shows like Gundam SEED, perhaps it might have some tweaks in this day and age, though I think they could largely get away with most of it so long as it doesn't air on TV Tokyo which is the most regulated channel. As far as late night anime goes, I think a part of it is marketing to get people to buy the uncensored DVDs and Blu-Rays, so they appear more censored than they actually need to be.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Gundam Seed by the way isn´t that "mature".

Going to have to correct you there. SEED is one of the darkest Gundam shows, right next to V and Z. Even Z had the occasional breather episode, and some comedy once in a while. SEED had nothing, unless you could the recap episodes as breather episodes.
Also, SEED was pretty bleak, with not many hope spots. Even the triumphant return of Kira with the Freedom was overshadowed by what happened right after. So please, stop saying SEED isn't mature. It touched on the subjects of racism very well. SEED Destiny on the other hand........

Now... about cutting the price of BDs. There's a word for that, in the business world: suicide. Here's what most western fans do not know or understand about the Japanese anime demand: it's almost completely inelastic. That means that a decrease of 1% of its price will generate far less then 1% in additional sales. In other words, the buyers market for anime is almost completely tapped out. Reducing prices will not increase sales. This has been tested and proved.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
RokugoPeachMoon wrote:
In other words: "The Anime industry's problem is that it's not pandering and catering to me enough!"

What predictable commentary......... Rolling Eyes

There's so much ignorance in this thread on how people can saving the anime industry. It always boils down to catering to what they want. Very transparent soapbox. Leave it to the usual suspects to take a quote about censorship and twist it to their own agenda of being anti-otaku. residentgrigo criticizes otaku pandering then says he loves an otaku anime. Such a hypocrite. People don't even know what they're complaining about it seems like otaku pandering just means anime they don't like and anime they do like somehow aren't for otaku. Such a scapegoat
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
In my opinion, fan service ruined anime in general. Also I believe it will only get worse and worse in the future.
An opinion based on what? Shows like -Monogatari and Infinite Stratos have sold 10-20k+ while artsy-experimental stuff like Fractale completely bombs. If anything, fanservice is keeping the industry alive.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
TV Tokio is hell ! You pointed you the big Satan rather fast.

And regarding Seed i liked it the first time but then i watched all of Gundam except G and Ace/Builders and adjusted my score a bit. The series isn´t bad bud but the bleakness meter is somewhere in the middle for me.
What i hated most was the way it portraits military life. I was a soldier form 2 years and actually know my stuff here. Captain Taylor was more believable. Seed is so way of the mark i don´t even know where to start. The females and half the villains were just cardboard cutout that screamed bay too much and "acted "too little. OK Gundam has a hum ho track record with women but still. And what was up with the space whale ? Still 6,5 is almost a recommendation. Unicorn and Wing are a 6 for me and Destiny a 4 or a 10(so funny) just to compare.
Is the a more messed up children cartoon(just watch the Victory ads if you don´t believe in my target demographic) then Victory and how great is it that Tomino hates his own creation with a passion. I love that lunatic.

Great discussion you all !

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed May 21, 2014 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time I've ever agreed with anything that's come out of Fukuda.

CE Gundam is still terrible, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
TV Tokio is hell ! You pointed you the big Satan rather fast.

And regarding Seed i liked it the first time but then i watched all of Gundam except G and Ace/Builders and adjusted my score a bit. The series isn´t bad bud but the bleakness meter is somewhere in the middle for me.
What i hated most was the way it portraits military life. I was a soldier form 2 years and actually know my stuff here. Captain Taylor was more believable. Seed is so way of the mark i don´t even know where to start. The females and half the villains were just cardboard cutout that screamed bay too much and "acted "too little. OK Gundam has a hum ho track record with women but still. And what was up with the space whale ? Still 6,5 is almost a recommendation. Unicorn and Wing are a 6 for me and Destiny a 4 or a 10(so funny) just to compare.
Is the a more messed up children cartoon(just watch the Victory ads if you don´t believe in my target demographic) then Victory and how great is it that Tomino hates his own creation with a passion. I love that lunatic.

Great discussion you all !

I just seen a couple commercials on Youtube, wtf, Victory Gundam is far from a kids show. There was also a Super Famicom game geared towards kids too.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Gundam Seed by the way isn´t that "mature".

That means that a decrease of 1% of its price will generate far less then 1% in additional sales. In other words, the buyers market for anime is almost completely tapped out. Reducing prices will not increase sales. This has been tested and proved.

Do you have a source for this?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Were are all anime fans and don´t need 100 percent seinen or something. What we NEED are shows of all colors. So i am 100% behind the Sailor Moon remake and so on. When i started animes in the 90s there were tons of genres now the are only a few and the industry needs to rely on the worst possible cliche of otakus to survive with BD/DVD sales. No more Master Keaton or Nana for me.
I am currently flowing 15+ American shows this season and had to throw of good content like Turn to gain watching space. If i watch even 10 anime to completion in one year i consider it good. That is sad. No one here should be content with the state of the industry since lets say 2008. YOU deserve better unless you like teenage incest and shonen blandness No. 101. I may not care about the World Is Still Beautiful but thank god they made the show and broaden the viewing spectrum. Does the average Japanese viewer care about new anime outside the jump Trinity and Conan and so on.
Titans(the only spinoff i like is the prequel by the way) is well and good but wee need 10 more shows like this every season !
The market need more inovation and not a spiral into darkness. So many of my friend don´t even watch anime anymore and they can´t be the only ones getting out. So my recommendation is to show friend of yours a good anime from the last 5 years like The new Lupin or Durarara. I did that last week with Redline and said the same thing Miyazaki and Fukada did without knowing abut the quotes. We can´t save the industry on this board but maybe we can bring old sheep back to the fold ? Sharing is careing.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed May 21, 2014 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
What's weird about his comment to me is that it's about late-night anime. While sometimes they have to black out or otherwise censor large chunks of the screen, it doesn't seem like there's anything they can't actually do. It would have made more sense if it was aimed at more mainstream time-slots, though even then, Psycho-Pass, which was the most mainstream you can get outside of kids' stuff, basically had on-screen rape along with other pretty gruesome stuff and wasn't censored the way, say, Brynhilder is. Though maybe that was a case of CR or Funi streams being less censored? Guess I'm not 100% on that. I do recall hearing that Code Geass's second season was heavily rewritten because of it's switch to a more mainstream time-slot.

In any case, Pupa seemed to be a specific case of content being so extreme that it significantly affected the production (I don't think super short episodes were what they originally wanted to do, I believe they had trouble getting TV stations to even air it). But otherwise? What exactly are they being prevented from doing?

In any case, if there's an audience anime could reach but currently isn't, I have a hard time seeing this being a major reason for it, or a reason at all.

Hoppy800 wrote:

I just seen a couple commercials on Youtube, wtf, Victory Gundam is far from a kids show. There was also a Super Famicom game geared towards kids too.

Of course it was a kid's show, just like every single Gundam TV series ever, contrary to what some fans seem to think. So was Space Runaway Ideon, have you heard about or seen how THAT turned out? The original Gundam had some fairly graphic scenes as well. Seems like TV stations started cracking down in what kids' shows could get away with in violence sometime in the past 5-10 years though.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Do you have a source for this?

It's an economical principle, well known and researched.
If you're asking if I have a source for saying the demand for anime in Japan is almost inelastic, well, sort of, but I don't remember any details. In the mid 2000s, several companies tried selling their BDs for half price, and then concluded that the sales had not increased by any significant numbers. I can't remember what show that were though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8