• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Things that are reliably realistic in anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Tower always seems to be fairly realistic as well (until it's destroyed)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Tokyo Tower always seems to be fairly realistic as well (until it's destroyed)

And on that note, there's Osaka Castle which I recognize in anime from King Kong versus Godzilla {how I tell it from the other castles, I don't know} ... which went all meta in Neo Ranga where the title giant kaiju wasn't called in precisely because of this movie.

Still, this is on list of Japan monuments and such, like the Diet building, Mt Fuji or most of Kyoto which is mostly hands off in kaiju films while Tokyo and Osaka can get crushed on a regular basis ... how realistic or something, somehow {historically speaking, I think}. And while the shows that get to Kyoto are numerous, the number set there are small {I can't resist: Kyoto: The anagram lover's Tokyo} because it is so iconic.

And pursuing the guns subject, there's tanks {all military hardware but I pick out tanks as it's the most ludicrous weapon for an island nation to focus on... Unless they came up with an amphibious version but at that point, anime just make them into mechas}. Skipping the obvious choice, the tank in Those Who Hunt Elves was the most developed and concrete part of the show.

The most obvious reliably realistic thing in anime: sailor suits.

Quote:
From the old wooden structures (usually abandoned these days) to contemporary upscale and downscale academies and even schools in the future or in space they seem true to life backgrounds. In spite of never having been in one I think I could get around in one without a guide just after seeing so much anime.

The one in Kanon 2006 is based on a real school {there's a photo comparison floating around the internet} with labyrinth-like hallways, oddly placed stairwells and curious dead ends. The "getting lost" montage was ... reliably realistic.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
I can't say about Tokyo, (other than the fact that there are bajillions of people walking super fast everywhere you look), but I've been living and studying in Kyoto for a little over a month and here's a short list of things that I've noticed:

-Conbini/Convenience store. They're literally everywhere (There are at least 5 in the vicinity of my dorm, and we're far in the mountains), and as the name suggests, incredibly convenient. 24/7 and you can buy almost every daily need products there.

-Children can walk alone in the streets, it's incredibly safe

-School clubs are SERIOUS BUSINESS. The first day of class, the amount of people recruiting new students to their clubs was overwhelming, and all over the campus there are posters about the school's clubs activities. And there are all sorts of clubs, not only sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball, bicycle) and culture (shoudou, music, guitar, dance),, but also journalism, radio, tourism club, snowboard club, yacht club (the university provides the yachts and they ride them in lake Biwa), English club, concert organizing club, flamenco, mountain climbing... off the top of my head. One of the Japanese guys in my dorm is in the concert organization club (or something like that), and he barely slept at all for at least a week to organize a concert.

-Entrance exams are a HUGE concern for students. I've visited a number of shrines and temples, and the amount of ema (where people write their wishes) with "I want to pass the entrance exams" is terrifying. A teacher also showed us a picture of a Tenjin shrine (the kami who is said to look over scholars and knowledge) in New Years, and the hundreds of students lined up to pray

-I know this will sound silly, but Japanese girls are incredibly girly, to a point where it gets kind of ridiculous. Everything has laces and pink and kawaiisugiru. It's a little disturbing.

-The classic scene of the road framed by sakura trees and sakura petals floating everywhere... it was so beautiful I could've died

There are the ones I can think off right now, but I'll probably add more some other time.

Bonus: To anyone who watched Ben-to, I can confirm that at some point during the night, a guy comes out from the back of the store and puts "discount" stickers on the Bentos that are left. I didn't see people killing each other for them though, and today was able to get one with a 50 yen discount without risking my life. LOL
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

*Also how passengers are portrayed on trains is accurate. Hardly anyone ever talks; if they do, it's quietly.

I suspect this is true on the trains in most places, at least the within city ones. If you're British you do NOT speak to other people on the Tube in London.

Chiibi wrote:

*Maid cafes are a real thing too. They walk around Akihabara handing out flyers.

Get these in Nipponbashi (Osaka) too. They're out there all day handing out flyers and trying to get people to visit. Feel a bit sorry for them sometimes.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
While I'd say the abundance of convenience stores is far from unique to Japan (where I live in Canada there are 4 within a 10 minute walk from my home), I can confirm the rows and rows of vending machines for every product imaginable is true. If anything I'd say it's one of the few things that are downplayed in anime.

I was so sad at the lack of pink sakura when I was there. 90% of them were white. We have white-blossomed trees where I live so it was a real letdown.

Visiting a maid cafe was one of the few parts of my great otaku adventure that I passed up. I just didn't see the appeal and the language barrier was higher than at a normal restaurant.

Adding another one - drunk dude wearing a necktie around his head. True. And while you could find this anywhere in the world where people wear suits easily enough, this was at, like, 10pm. Nobody here who works to 10pm has to wear a suit. I worked for a company once where the male employees fought for 25 years to loose the noose and the company finally agreed and we all left the office with our ties around our heads when the day was ended (5pm) and promptly took them off.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
While I'd say the abundance of convenience stores is far from unique to Japan (where I live in Canada there are 4 within a 10 minute walk from my home), I can confirm the rows and rows of vending machines for every product imaginable is true. If anything I'd say it's one of the few things that are downplayed in anime.

I'm no stranger to convenience stores either, but the ones in my home country don't have the wide variety of products that Japanese ones have. It's not only food and magazines, but stationary, manga, special anime promotions, cleaning supplies, some toys and even underwear and of course, umbrellas. Heck, we can even pay our rent and buy movie tickets in conbini. In some places you may also get local souvenirs there.
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
Don't forget about paying utilities as well.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
I love Japanese convenience stores! Whenever I visit Japan, I'd say that I probably shop in them at least five times a day. Their pastry shelves are my favorite spot in the store.

The groping problem is a real problem. Problem enough that the more major train lines have women-only cars during peak travel times.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
These are generalizations based on my own perception from when I went to Tokyo, not necessarily facts:

Cuteness: The real-life counterpart of moe in anime is the strong emphasis on cuteness in popular society, which is a Japanese cultural phenomenon. I think this is one of the reason why the girls dress up very girly, wear kneesocks, high heels and tons of make-up.

Unnatural haircolor: When I went to Shibuya (Tokyo’s fashion/hipster district), a lot of people (men included) had dyed hair. In fact, there were more people with dyed hair than those with their own natural color. Though I didn’t notice anyone with green, pink, silver or blue hair like in anime, most of them had a blond, brown or red color.

Flip-phones: Most anime characters have flip-phones and the same goes for Japanese people.

Height: I believe most anime characters are small and the majority of Japanese people also have a small height (1.50 m – 1.70 m).
(Although, maybe I came to this conclusion because of my own perception, since I’m 1.83 m (6 ft.), which is pretty much average in my country, yet I felt like a giant walking over there)

Weight: Anime characters are usually thin in physical appearance while overweight ones are rare. Though I know it’s drawn this way to enhance attractiveness, it’s also fairly accurate. The percentage of overweight people in Japan is very low (around 4%) compared to western countries and I’ve witnessed that most Japanese people are actually slender (must be the low-calorie food!).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
-I know this will sound silly, but Japanese girls are incredibly girly, to a point where it gets kind of ridiculous. Everything has laces and pink and kawaiisugiru. It's a little disturbing.

Calling it 'disturbing' is a little harsh, don't you think?
I think it's lovely. :{ What's so wrong about girls dressing like girls?

Nice contrast from the "EW, PINK IS FOR BABIES AND DRESSES ARE FOR WIMPS" attitude 9 out of 10 American girls have. >_>

Pink's pretty popular in European countries too. Barbie is likely what ruined the color's appeal in America.

Quote:
and I’ve witnessed that most Japanese people are actually slender (must be the low-calorie food!).

No preservatives or hormones and smaller portions.

Last edited by Chiibi on Mon May 05, 2014 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
What I'd really like to know is how little truth there is to the impression that anime gives about numerous Japanese teenagers living on their own.

I've wondered about that myself. The Tsukumoto sisters in School Rumble occupy a enormous house by Japanese standards. Who is paying the bills? Are the parents away on a trip? Sawachika Eri lives in a large mansion, but she has staff, and we see a rather sad scene where her father drives off on a business trip.

As for realistic items in anime, I nominate utility poles and wires. Many shows seem to include one or more shots with poles and wires, a tradition that dates back at least as far as Evangelion I believe. What's the fascination with this? One commentator in a discussion I had on this subject suggested they are used in a nostalgic way to symbolize the older technologies that contrast with postwar industrialized Japan.

Women-only rail cars in Japan first appeared in 1912. It looks like they were discontinued after World War II but reinstated in the early 2000's after groping became widespread. "[A]ccording to a survey conducted by Tokyo Metropolitan Police and East Japan Railway Company, two-thirds of female passengers in their 20s and 30s reported that they had been groped on trains, and the majority had been victimized frequently."
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know that do those "Ojou-sama" prestigious elite schools exist in Japan?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Is it true that there are a decent amount of black people selling their rap music on the streets of Tokyo? Or am I confusing this with another country?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Is it true that there are a decent amount of black people selling their rap music on the streets of Tokyo? Or am I confusing this with another country?

I haven't seen it during any one of my five visits, though it doesn't that it doesn't happen. I have seen plenty of Japanese musicians performing their music and selling it in Yoyogi Park, though.

There are quite a few black people that I've seen working outside of bars and sex shops that try to get customers to patronize those businesses. They're most common in Roppongi and the seedier parts of Shinjuku.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
There are quite a few black people that I've seen working outside of bars and sex shops that try to get customers to patronize those businesses. They're most common in Roppongi and the seedier parts of Shinjuku.

I'd say those guys, regardless of race, warrant a mention. I too saw well-dressed guys accosting girls to come work for their club.

There was an amazingly hot Russian girl working at a cosplay club who no doubt made a lot of money for that place. I first saw her on a pamphlet I was given when the japanese guy handing it to me said something to me in, I assume in Russian. I get it. I'm white so I must speak whatever language the only other white person he's ever talked to speaks. LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3