• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Portable Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
psp died too quick in US. it's shame that people don't like psp in the states. Since they don't buy psp games, alot of AAA games didn't get release over here.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Closest dealings I ever had with the PSP was finding copies of Valkrya Chronicles 2 marked down in a remote K-Mart between installation jobs in Marysville, Ohio and contemplating picking them up and selling them at a higher price. Decided not to.

Oh, and the fifth character for Ultra Street Fighter IV should be announced this Saturday. Last chance to make some bets on who it'll be.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know how y'all used the PSP as the low-res screen was hell on my eyes. Even the Vita's screen is annihilated by a smartphone's (especially if that smartphone has OLED and is being compared to the Vita Slim).

Long load times, Sony's infernal cash-grab proprietary memory cards and a horrible display. I wanted to like it but it just wasn't possible.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Why do people keep claiming that the PSP uses proprietary memory cards? I use the exact same Office Depot-bought SD cards for my PSP and my 3DS.
Samo2222

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
32GB memory cards for the PSP/Sony systems can be found for around $30 on eBay. With that and the help of the internet you could really put a PSP system to great use.
victor viper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
I always like to see the PSP getting its due appreciation, as I've come to just love that system. If I had to pick an unappreciated PSP title, it would probably be Pangya golf. Despite its surface silliness, there's a really solid golf game under there and with all the costumes and character customization options, there's plenty of incentive to keep on playing. It also doesn't hurt that the characters are very cute and moe.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Among Sony's own originals, the three Patapon games stood proudest. A new twist on the rhythm game, each Patapon title sends a pack of Seussian silhouettes marching, attacking, and cavorting to a beat kept up by the player. Sony adopted a similarly cute style for Loco Roco, where players tilt smiling blobs through mazes, and published Level-5's underrated strategy-RPG Jeanne D'Arc. Yet Patapon had the most sequels.

I encountered the guy who was animating Patapon. Months before any announcement, he hinted that he was contracted to animate something new and innovating but can't say what. He was very excited about it.

victor viper wrote:

I always like to see the PSP getting its due appreciation, as I've come to just love that system. If I had to pick an unappreciated PSP title, it would probably be Pangya golf.

I recall friends playing that for "free" on PC way before PSP. The publisher's mistake with Pangya Golf was that it was mis-marketed as a family golf sports game in the West when it has elements in it that wouldn't fly like that, so it was a bewildered game in search of an audience.

Anyways, FFX would be a nice playthrough, maybe that and MGS may give Infamous a run for the money. Though overall everyone knows Titanfall would be the big game this month, - whose Titan class mechs BTW are influenced by Gundam (no, really):

http://gamerant.com/titanfall-video-atlas-ogre-stryder-classes/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSIx4RR_1A#t=155

(And yes, they too have nuclear power cores that could self-destruct killing your enemies.)

As for handhelds........... Gaming is expected to have just steady growth for the next few years, not as explosive as the last gen. Console gaming depicts only modest growth at best. PC gaming keeps growing with the help of Steam-like services/devices, as even basic hardware/tablet PCs can now run modern games. But the biggest growth is expected on mobile gaming of course, as everybody has a phone or tablet now. Unfortunately, the only one expected to contract is handheld gaming:

Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Let us cling together had great character and story (plus it shipped with the awesome tarrot card) but god it's class system suck!

In FFT I grinded maybe one hour at the start of the game (to get people out of there squire chemist class) and never had to do it again, In LUCT you have to grind every time you unlock a new class, this is especially enraging when you unlocked a special character or a special job and then wanted to use them but couldn't cause they were level 1. Like when I unlocked the main character lord class, awesome, except he's level one and everyone is mid thirty, so I have to spent the next 2-3 hour just grinding random battle. Oh and you can't even give them really good equipment cause what equipment they can use is tied to there class level. Well it fix the problem of having to level up a new character after one dies, NO! It doesn't even do that cause the new character has no skill and the only way to get skill/level up skill is to grind.

I really don't understand how that system even got green lighted, it should have been obvious it was broken back in planning stages. It really ruined the game for me, one of the very few time I wish there had been an "no battle" mode or something so I could have just enjoyed the story without having to deal with the gameplay.

That's the problem with the psp version, they completely changed the battle system from the snes, ps1 and ss version. It plays much more like final fantasy tactics where you gain exp as a character attacks a unit or chants a spell of healing. Also a character attacks back and also gains exp making it a level playing field for your enemies as well. Overall play snes or ps1 version instead they are much easier to deal with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hobbiton Guard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
I notice that ZHP: Zettai Hero Project doesn't seem to be getting any attention. That game was one of my favourite ones from NIS. It's also just a blast to play. Other than that... the rereleases of Riviera and Yggdra Union are also notable. Sting's GBA RPGs finally fell into my hands on the PSP and boy were they ever worth it.

Those are some of my favourite PSP games that do not fall under the already talked about games. My all time favourite though is Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. As much as I loved Let us Cling Together, War of the Lions was just astounding.

Square look at what those games did. They can easily appeal, story wise, to the current fantasy crowd drawn in by Game of Thrones! Get back to making games like that!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Let us cling together had great character and story (plus it shipped with the awesome tarrot card) but god it's class system suck!

In FFT I grinded maybe one hour at the start of the game (to get people out of there squire chemist class) and never had to do it again, In LUCT you have to grind every time you unlock a new class, this is especially enraging when you unlocked a special character or a special job and then wanted to use them but couldn't cause they were level 1. Like when I unlocked the main character lord class, awesome, except he's level one and everyone is mid thirty, so I have to spent the next 2-3 hour just grinding random battle. Oh and you can't even give them really good equipment cause what equipment they can use is tied to there class level. Well it fix the problem of having to level up a new character after one dies, NO! It doesn't even do that cause the new character has no skill and the only way to get skill/level up skill is to grind.

I really don't understand how that system even got green lighted, it should have been obvious it was broken back in planning stages. It really ruined the game for me, one of the very few time I wish there had been an "no battle" mode or something so I could have just enjoyed the story without having to deal with the gameplay.

This could have been easily fixed if new classes were treated the way new characters are in most RPGs: instead every new class starting at lv1, they started at a set level based on where you're expected to be at that time or based on where your other classes are at.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I mostly used (and still use) the PSP as a literal portable PlayStation. I was able to catch up on nearly the entire Squaresoft PS1 library that way, finally taking care of games I started but never finished as a kid, as well as a few I'd never played in the first place.

As for SquEnix's original output for the system, though… well, Crisis Core was dull, pandering crap and War of the Lions was basically unplayable on account of the slowdown (the overwrought translation didn't help either). Dissidia was a slightly better kind of pandering (at least if you ignore the cutscenes, which were outstandingly awful even by fighting game standards) but I got disillusioned with it after realizing that its incredibly convoluted system of feedback loops is as manipulative as any F2P title, and the core gameplay isn't really all that remarkable mechanically. At least it gets some points for originality, though. The Final Fantasy I and II remakes were, well, mostly faithful enhanced ports of Final Fantasy Origins, which still didn't change the fact that the core games have aged as badly as any other 8-bit RPG. The 3rd Birthday looked disgraceful, and given that the same director was behind that game and Crisis Core, I have no interest in Type-Zero and really don't give a damn that it was never localized. I did sorta want to try that remake-of-the-remake-of-the-remake of Final Fantasy IV though, and I may yet pick it up at some point.

I would really love to see a sequel to Metal Gear Acid, though. I must've spent hundreds of hours between both games, and I wouldn't mind going back for more.

With that and Persona 3 out of the way, I guess the game I'd be most inclined to write about would be either Riviera: The Promised Land or Yggdra Union, but both of those were remakes of GBA games so I'm not sure if they really "count".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I don't know how y'all used the PSP as the low-res screen was hell on my eyes. Even the Vita's screen is annihilated by a smartphone's (especially if that smartphone has OLED and is being compared to the Vita Slim).

Long load times, Sony's infernal cash-grab proprietary memory cards and a horrible display. I wanted to like it but it just wasn't possible.

PSP launched in late 2004 in Japan, and had the same screen resolution throughout its entire life. When compared to portable machines of that era, it was definitely a beast. Coming fresh to a PSP today might be a bit rough on the eyes if you're used to more high res devices, but that's like saying it's rough to go back to PS2 games after playing PS4 ones.

Even comparing Vita to today's smartphones is unfair. Vita launched in late 2011 for about the Japanese equivalent of $250. Buying a high end smartphone with similar specs off contract would've cost you considerably more than that.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I don't know how y'all used the PSP as the low-res screen was hell on my eyes.

This is the first time I've ever heard this complaint regarding the PSP.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
I don't know how y'all used the PSP as the low-res screen was hell on my eyes.

This is the first time I've ever heard this complaint regarding the PSP.
Truly? With the sub-SDTV screen resolution I would have thought that complaints would have been more common.

Sony is refreshing the Vita with a new model. I wish that they would, instead of using their dated tech, upgrade it to a higher quality screen and equip it with higher quality internals. Technology has gotten more powerful and more efficient since the launch, no need to keep churning out that ancient, power-hungry tech that they've been using. Now that they're abandoning OLED (sadly) for the Vita they could go for a higher resolution screen more easily.

Improving the console's tech in the "refreshed" models is a tradition established by the PSP. Might as well continue it with the Vita. Especially since they're continuing the proud Sony tradition of taking away features (oled) in newer versions.

I've noticed that some PSP games live on in Google Play. It's fun to revisit some of these old games, especially with solid-state memory eliminating long load times and its related bugs, but the ugliness of the PSP's resolution is made 7-15+ times uglier when played at the standard 720 - 1080 resolutions now common on Android devices; what was ugly then is fugly today Sad
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
With a userbase as tiny as Vita's there is literally no sense in fragmenting the userbase by changing the internal hardware to a great degree. Especially when you consider that there are already plenty of Vita games that struggle to hit its current native resolution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3