• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nobunaga The Fool Episodes 1 - 6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The records and transcripts of her trial are just incredible. An illiterate nineteen-year-old peasant girl at a kangaroo court and yet she made her accusers look like muppets, such was her intellect and steadfastness.

Reading through the thread I was planning to say the same thing, but found you'd beaten me to it. Those trial documents (recorded by her enemies) reveal her as at least some form of badass.

I started off on the first episode fully in sync with Echo_City's appreciation of a rare anime with "male characters who aren't angst-ridden wimps", but the series' treatment of Joan got pretty painful and I stalled at episode 2 or 3. Not sure if I'll go any further.

I don't care too much about the use of crazy versions of historical characters but it's always a pity to witness the lost opportunities that generally result from it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps the "half Japanese" part of Jeanne can be blamed for her deportment in this to date? Laughing

It's possible that, once "inured" to her circumstances in "space Japan", she'll rise to her army-leading self. If she had just stepped out of the ship and had started acting like her historical "badass" self in a strange land-had "come out swinging"-then it would have been as farcical as the overly-romantic martinet (and borderline "ice princess") Alice in Pumpkin Scissors. Currently in Nobunaga the Fool there is no true enemy for her to fight and, considering the established disdain that most of the "space Japanese" hold for outsiders, no army for her to lead in her own right.

We don't even yet have Nobunaga-the titular character-with a well-defined enemy to fight or an army to truly lead. It's unreasonable to expect Joan to have those things. If y'all are saying that Joan should be more of a Stoic and less, ah, flighty then I would submit that in her "male persona" she publicly is and that if she were constantly portrayed as a strict Stoic to the viewer then she would be much the same character as Nobunaga's sister.

...besides, the idea of Joan of Arc being portrayed as Nobunaga's "special" male friend is pretty hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2