• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds Moribito Fantasy Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I guess it's good news and bad news for me. Picked up part 2 of the media blasters bluray for real cheap new, but part 1 is out of print and selling for 40 dollars.

It's pretty cheap here: http://www.deepdiscount.com/bluray/BLR-PT-1
pangea001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
On the short list of anime I could show anyone and not be embarrassed at all.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I guess it's good news and bad news for me. Picked up part 2 of the media blasters bluray for real cheap new, but part 1 is out of print and selling for 40 dollars.

Are you really complaining about paying $40 for 13 anime episodes?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
I bought this entire DVD set for $10, brand new.

Though very stunning visually, with great character design, animation, art and great music too, I was bored to tears with this show. I remember fast forwarding the last 13 episodes on 2X speed, just to get through it and finish it.

I doubt I'll ever re-watch this, but to the fans of this show, this is great news and I bet it will look even better on Blu-Ray on a nice HDTV.

I'm agreed on most points. The series is great to look at, but it actually feels very thinly spread as far as real content. While I do appreciate the intricacies and world building, the final third of the show really didn't include much of that. I have no idea why the ANN reviewers give it such credit, it really feels like a show that would have been well-suited for 18 to 20 episodes, but it's just no "masterpiece" to me. "It was a good show."
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Fonzel: Thanks for the link never thought they would still have it every other site is sold out.

angelmcazares: If it was a show I really liked and had to have price is never a issue for me. But this is a pretty old show that wasn't a super big hit. I remember watching the show a long time ago and thought it was ok, then a friend of mine said the blurays looked amazing which did not come out at the same time as the dvd's.

So I said what the hell it's only so much for part 2 it was on sale I bit the bullet and bought it. Then I find out part 1 is out of print, and now it costs a minimum of 40 dollars I've seen people asking 65 to 80 bucks for it because we all know when it's out of print it, the price goes through the roof.

Basically if I waited and bought the Viz blurays I would have spent the same amount or maybe even more. Plus I don't want to have one part Viz and one part Media Blasters. Rather have both parts from one of them.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo--

I have read the two books released by Scholastic;* and in my opinion, the reason that the director was forced to use filler was that that there was not enough material for a 24-episode series.

*And why, oh why, won't Scholastic publish more?!
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

Because they apparently sold pretty poorly. Which is a shame, because they were really quality releases (both the content and the books themselves) and I too would've loved to read the rest.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link -- never has the world of the bibliophile been so bleak.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I already own it, but I'm happy that more people will have the opportunity to discover this great series.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
PusoPimp wrote:
When did Media Blasters lose the rights to this exactly? I think I just watched through this early last year on Hulu and it still said Media Blasters...man it must've been picked up pretty fuckin' quick!

Since it got pulled without warning from Crunchyroll mid-December, I'd say around then.

The list of series formerly licensed by Media Blasters is pretty long now and contains quite a number of well-known properties.

I presume VIZ intends simply to remarket the existing DVDs and BDs. I never trust them after waiting so long, and so fruitlessly, for Monster.

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
nbahn wrote:

Because they apparently sold pretty poorly. Which is a shame, because they were really quality releases (both the content and the books themselves) and I too would've loved to read the rest.

They were also boring as all hell, even more so than the incredibly stale series. It was no wonder they flopped.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga--
Vive la différence!
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Morbidbito is one of the few series I couldn't make past the first episode of... It was just so incredibly dull.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I can buy the whole series now that Viz saved it!
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I personally absolutely loved the books and series. It's such a shame the books got canceled, but at least we got one volume past what the anime covered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4