• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Otaku from 100 Countries Voice Which Characters They Want to Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Asuna - Pft
Nico Robin - Oh yes
Hinata - Meh
Nami - OH YES
Erza - Okay
Holo - Oh yes
Rias - PFFTT
Lucy - Eh
Kuroneko - (Pre-S2) Okay / (Post-S2) KILL THE DAMN THING
Mio - Meh

That would be my summary, pretty much. I totally dislike the pic they chose for Nami though. That Glorious Island thing gives an image of the show and its characters that's completely exploitative and false.

On a different note... Zoro needs to top the male chart.

Last edited by LinkSword on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
What the hell do women see in these men? They're just a bunch of brooding loners who play by their own rules.

Girls go gaga over Loki from Thor these days.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
Among all these characters, male or female, I think the most surprising is Holo.

Holo has the most rounded personality of all the girls in anime shows that I've seen (not counting movies (Wolf Children, Summar Wars, etc)). She seems the most realistic. However, this is fantasy and when we talk about anime girls/guys we are talking about what we like to have which usually departs from reality quite a bit (in most cases).

However, be that as it may, I find Holo to be a fun character because she doesn't seem one dimensional (input the same reaction if certain criteria are met). She does things that defies our expectations and doesn't react the same way to the same matters all the time. There is depth to her. She still falls prey to cliches but none so bizarre as "the girl/guy that promised something in their childhood to someone and are seeking out to fulfill that promise years later" (who has a memory like that and ambition to fallow that memory knowing nothing about what the other person is doing or how they are living like).

Holo is sometimes cute, some times aggressive, other times she is playful and other times she is unfairly demanding. She kinda portrays females mood swings through out the show (not in a bad light, but doesn't sugar coat it either). At least that's what I got from it. On top of which, most of the female characters mentioned are "shipping" material. The reason so many people liked these female characters are because they ship the relationships they "should" have (usually with the protagonist). Holo and Lawrance make a good couple. So, people shop them. People ship Hinata and Naruto a lot so it's not a big surprise she is on the list. Same could be said for Nami and Luffy.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 4 times in total
sarroush

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
_V_ wrote:
What the hell do women see in these men? They're just a bunch of brooding loners who play by their own rules.

Girls go gaga over Loki from Thor these days.

We can't help it. He's gorgeous, has a great voice and makes witty comments. We of course completely disregard the fact that he's a bit...yeah.

Not really husbando material though, since you never know when he might stab you in the back.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Levi could be nice... I love a man with a sense of duty. I'm okay with being second place to that fervor. Smile

Yep, I'm a military brat.
lefthand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting Sanji, Hisoka, and a character from Kuroko no Basuke to show up in the top 10.
terran3020

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

has to be the pretty boy swag
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
FLAZE35 wrote:
Are they sure they asked otakus and not people who just watch mainstream?

This. Too many never ending shonen-title female characters in this list. Rolling Eyes Glad to see Kuroneko & Holo in there though Very Happy !
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

you just answered your own question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It would be a tough pick between Lucy and Holo
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Seems like most of the men's picks are from action shows, with the occasional exception from Oreimo and K-ON! (I don't know enough about High School DxD to classify it). Just kind of interesting, considering how often I'm told that "moé crap is all Japan makes anymore".
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
FLAZE35 wrote:
Are they sure they asked otakus and not people who just watch mainstream?

This. Too many never ending shonen-title female characters in this list. Rolling Eyes Glad to see Kuroneko & Holo in there though Very Happy !

Agreed, this list is a little too mainstreamy, but Holo is there so it's all good.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Seems like most of the men's picks are from action shows, with the occasional exception from Oreimo and K-ON! (I don't know enough about High School DxD to classify it). Just kind of interesting, considering how often I'm told that "moé crap is all Japan makes anymore".

DxD is all action with plenty of big naked breasts tossed in. So you can go ahead and throw it in with the rest.
Seifukun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
aw kuroneko my baby
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Asuna is #1 pfff i don't see it she's not ugly but she ant balls to the wall hot or sexy and were's fujiko mine or bulma briefs? was this list made by kids? and wtf is up with one piece chicks there not very hot at all Crying or Very sad btw Holo ftw she's by far the hotest
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6