• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli Name Change Considered

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
obvisously miyazaki loves this challenge of surpassing his iconic totoro. i would cheer and idolized him even more if he did.

and in my opinion GHIBLI SHOULD BE GHIBLI! the world luv and embraced it and no matter what name itll be it will always be ghibli!

moriogawa wrote:
This just strikes me as really odd, considering "Ghibli" already means the southern wind blowing over Italy. It'd be like changing "Microsoft" to "Small Software"

lol small software

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
moriogawa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
This just strikes me as really odd, considering "Ghibli" already means the southern wind blowing over Italy. It'd be like changing "Microsoft" to "Small Software"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm glad they didn't change Ghibli's name. I mean...it's not really that important of a name, it's just such a household name now. ...Besides, the other name looks like it's even harder to pronouce/spell than Ghibli is. Anime hyper

As for the 'You'll never top Totoro' comment...I feel kinda bad for Miyazaki. Anime hyper I'm a huge Disney fan, but I'm sure it gets tiring for Miyazaki to be CONSTANTLY compared to Disney.

Anyway, Kiki and Princess Mononoke are actually bigger icons to me than Totoro...but that's because I knew more about those movies than Totoro when I first started watching Ghibli films. I know it's not quite that way in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
The original merger was for the "parent" company's benefit anyway. It was a marrage of convience. Is there a licensing issue with Toroto? Did it stay with Tokuma Shoten? Studio Ghibli with Toroto is a marketing success, would hate to see them dispose of it because of some petty issue.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well even if Ghibli could come up with a better sounding name than Ghibli, it just wouldn't be right. It's like changing Gundam's name to, say a better name like Macross (pretending an anime isn't already called that); it's too late. Ghibli is Ghibli to too many people already.

However, some name changes could be good. Most notable: 4kids. That name is dreaded by anime fans, and if perhaps it were to be changed to... well, pretty much anything without the word "kids" in it, maybe shows wouldn't necessarily have to be butchered down to be for a six year old.

Last edited by halochief_90 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The God of Japanese animation suggested that?! Shocked I wonder what was going on in his head.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
As for the 'You'll never top Totoro' comment...I feel kinda bad for Miyazaki. Anime hyper I'm a huge Disney fan, but I'm sure it gets tiring for Miyazaki to be CONSTANTLY compared to Disney.

The irony is that Studio Ghibli's current partners include Buena Vista Japan...

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
toru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote

Suzuki talks the reasons why they were going to change the name of Ghibli in this interview.
But Ghibli World doesn't translate it.

"The person who yearns to the name of the company doesn't have excellent talent."

"People say that the name of Ghibli includes value. But I and Miyazaki do not think so.
Important thing is the contents , not the name."

"I and Miyazaki get tired of things very quickly. It is our characteristic. So we were going
to change the name."

"We do not make a sequel because we get tired of things very quickly."

Other interview
http://www.jti.co.jp/sstyle/my/cafe/62/index.html
"We want to make our studio more small. Only I and Miyazaki have not affection for the studio.lol
One day, a lot of investment companies came to Ghibli. Miyazaki said to me "Let's sell the studio and establish a new studio."lol So we thought new name.lol "
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Toru for the translation and providing more insight to the issue,

I don't agree with the master's logic here, but hey, it's their company...
George986

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Zeta Gundam was just rereleased in Japan as a very successful movie trilogy, I really doubt that it's a coincedence that the proposed studio name was the same as the name of Zeta Gundam's villain. Who the heck has ever heard the word "Scirocco" outside of Zeta Gundam? Considering most of director Yoshiyuki Tomino's names were totally made up (Amuro, Paptimus, etc.) I always assumed it was invented.

My guess is that a Zeta Gundam fan at Ghibli suggested the name when he found out it meant something close to Ghibli, but it was rejected because naming a studio after a character they didn't even invent was really dumb. Then it got leaked to the press, which is really embarassing for them.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
George986 wrote:
Who the heck has ever heard the word "Scirocco" outside of Zeta Gundam?

Hard disk drive from Quantum. Successor of Fireball. Spelled as "sirocco" though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Hmm I'm suprised no one mentioned the Volkswagen model yet:

But then again...
Tenchi wrote:
I don't blame the staff for objecting: they'd be downgrading the name from that of a Maserati to that of a simple Volkswagen.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
George986 wrote:
Who the heck has ever heard the word "Scirocco" outside of Zeta Gundam?

Hard disk drive from Quantum. Successor of Fireball. Spelled as "sirocco" though.

Wow, that really takes me back. Quantum was a whole different type of company before they were absorbed by Maxtor. Who could ever forget their bizarre 5.25" form factors still being sold in the 3.5" era?
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 am Reply with quote
George986 wrote:
Considering that Zeta Gundam was just rereleased in Japan as a very successful movie trilogy, I really doubt that it's a coincedence that the proposed studio name was the same as the name of Zeta Gundam's villain. Who the heck has ever heard the word "Scirocco" outside of Zeta Gundam?

I think it's pure coincidence. Miyazaki has a love relationship with Italy and is friend of animator Marco Pagot. He even named "Porco" from Porco Rosso "Marco". So my guess is, he and Suzuki thought of another italian word with a similar meaning as "Ghibli" and found this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki...the man from Jupiter.

I just couldn't resist making some form of Zeta Gundam reference. LOL
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3