• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Chernin Group in 'Advanced Talks' to Control Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
There, it implies if Chernin acquires CR, TV Tokyo will become an owner of Crunchyroll.

TV Tokyo has had a stake in Crunchyroll since around 2010.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Quote:
The [Chernin Group's] company's current investor's include...Japanese media company TV Tokyo...if the reported deal came to fruition...TV Tokyo would remain an owner

There, it implies if Chernin acquires CR, TV Tokyo will become an owner of Crunchyroll.

It says remain, you're saying become. And it doesn't say they own enough to have a controlling stake or that their stake is changing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
Ah, okay, just wasn't sure about that.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Would this mean a total shake up in the format of the current site? due to new ownership? The site works well now, even turns a profit, while promoting anime around the world.

One could hope, since its doing so well it would be left in its current state.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
If this happens, could we at least have some decent video ads on the site?
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Would this mean a total shake up in the format of the current site? due to new ownership? The site works well now, even turns a profit, while promoting anime around the world.

One could hope, since its doing so well it would be left in its current state.

Companies get bought by other companies all the time. It's not really worth the effort speculating on how this one will play out before it happens.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not adverse to it being sold, assuming service doesn't deteriorate, but I am adverse to it being sold for such a paltry sum. They should refuse the offer and keep growing the brand. CR has done a great job so far and things are continually looking up for them. They've overcome most of the bumps and hurdles that people could have forseen like resistance from Japan, competition from other streaming sites, and US anime companies trying to throw a monkey wrench in their plan.

Not saying it's smooth sailing from here to eternity, but they're very much on an upward path to being a more and more lucrative company. I'd suggest they keep on doing what they're doing until buyout offers greatly exceed lottery winning sized numbers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree. But Crunchyroll will always be seen as niche, so I doubt it will ever score the prices Tumblr and Facebook got, even though CR is actually profitable, with the possibility of an increase of profit in the future.

I do think they can shop around for better offers while they continue to grow--they just started their manga service, who knows what they might try next?
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
We don't know how much they're offering except that it's "less than $100 million." I wouldn't presume to be able to evaluate how much a company as complicated as Crunchyroll is worth.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I do think they can shop around for better offers while they continue to grow--they just started their manga service, who knows what they might try next?
Why are people acting like Crunchyroll is selling out? The only details we know don't really argue against him merely buying out Venrock's share - which would be entirely out of CR's hands. It's entirely possible for him to sink more cash into the enterprise without increasing his ownership - which doesn't really leave him with much reason to that wouldn't impel him to buy out TV Tokyo.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Why are people acting like Crunchyroll is selling out? The only details we know don't really argue against him merely buying out Venrock's share - which would be entirely out of CR's hands. It's entirely possible for him to sink more cash into the enterprise without increasing his ownership - which doesn't really leave him with much reason to that wouldn't impel him to buy out TV Tokyo.

How did you read that quote and take it as, "CR is selling out" rather than they, "they're expanding into other areas and should wait on selling the company"?
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I agree. But Crunchyroll will always be seen as niche, so I doubt it will ever score the prices Tumblr and Facebook got, even though CR is actually profitable, with the possibility of an increase of profit in the future.

I'm reasonably sure it won't be content origination, because:
+ unlike netflix they aren't having problems with content acquisition
+ most of their owners already have access to content origination and so for them to spend money giving crunchyroll content-origination capacity won't actually give the owners anything they didn't already have.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
How did you read that quote and take it as, "CR is selling out" rather than they, "they're expanding into other areas and should wait on selling the company"?
I only used it as an example - a role which your response fills quite well, too. There's not too much reason to believe at this point that Crunchyroll is heavily involved in this transaction; Chernin could probably secure a controlling interest just by buying out Venrock and perhaps part of TV Tokyo's share.

Essentially, you(and quite a few others) seem to be missing the fact that Crunchyroll's creators aren't about to sell out - they already did.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm not adverse to it being sold, assuming service doesn't deteriorate, but I am adverse to it being sold for such a paltry sum. They should refuse the offer and keep growing the brand.

They aren't buying Crunchyroll at that price, they're basically buying the largest fraction of CR at that price which appears to currently be held by VenRock. As mentioned there's a number of unnamed angel investors as well that all have a stake in the company. Sure, someone could come along and buy CR outright someday, but that's not what's happening here.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Texas84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I see a Crunchyroll cable channel in our future. Bring. It. On.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3