• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam Seed Destiny DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Some dubs, not the SEED/GSD dubs. Nagisa already said it was a mix-up.
Some dubs like this one. I have no idea what they did in that series but they did an awesome job. The main characters are some of my favorite North American voice actors.

I wished they could have given Maaya Sakamoto a bigger role. It is a waste of her talent to have her say a few lines. It would be better if they let her do an opening or ending theme.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
Paul Fargo wrote:
The English cast is acceptable, if not somewhat bland. There's no such nod to past Gundam efforts to be had here, and nobody really stands out. It's a functional dub that really won't win any attention, either positive or negative.

Paul Fargo wrote:
Overall (dub) : B+
Overall (sub) : B-

Confused What gives? Was the Japanese cast really that bad?

Contrary to what you may belive, the Japanese cast CAN be inferior to the English dub cast sometimes. I don't see why some people praise the Japanese cast like they're gods or something and get all puzzled when they get a low score, like they're always perfect or something. They're not.
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Some dubs, not the SEED/GSD dubs. Nagisa already said it was a mix-up.
I think that Someone_II was refering to why the reviewer would score the sub higher, based on what the reviewer said about the dub (above). I mean, it would have to be a pretty bad sub to be worse than "bland".

As a side note, I really liked the original's dub, and I can totally see it being better than the sub (haven't watched it though).
Someone_II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:

Contrary to what you may belive, the Japanese cast CAN be inferior to the English dub cast sometimes. I don't see why some people praise the Japanese cast like they're gods or something and get all puzzled when they get a low score, like they're always perfect or something. They're not.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge dub fan. You can have a great dub and a wretched sub the same way as you can have a good dub and a bad sub. Personally, though, if posed with the choice, the dub would have to be pretty damn bad for me to choose the sub; I operate under the notion that a) as I can't understand Japanese, I can't judge the acting and b) for an authentisity*, when Japanese people watch anime they comprehend it in their own native language, I enjoy the same experience.

*this point is very debatible, this is just how I see it.
Enzeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
I recentley played OMNI vs ZAFT II. Boy, is Strike Freedom totally cheap.

You should see Strike Noir, only came out today or something. It's Dante gone mecha >_>
They opened up all of the old mechs (Strike, Aegis, Buster and the no-name ones etc) fr9m OMNI vs ZAFT I, and stuffed the characters in there as well. In the arcades that is.
And a black Strike (Noir -duh)with twin laser pistols that cartwheels while firing ~10 rounds Rolling Eyes

God Gundam wrote:

True. But stuffing Ishida, Souichiro, Tanaka Rie, Ikeda Shuuichi, Ryotaro Okiayu, Koyasu Takehito, Seki Toshihiko and Mitsuishi Kotono in the same series...you just won't anything but a grand result. Just look at Ishida; at the age of 39 he's still -with great success- pulling off Athrun as a fairly young boy, not to mention Toshihiko (as Rey) although doing a lesser good job than Ishida, still manages to make Rey a solid character. And a damn good one too.

Although the dialouges in GSEED had more character in them, there are some really nice ones in GSD as well, with the seiyuus working perfectly together the craft the mood of the scenes.
I haven't watched the dub, no, and I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I disagree with the decree(sp?) of the review in that part.

On another note, anyone else heard Ishida Akira acting as a female character on that what's-it-called drama cd? Hilarious...and scary Confused
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the dubbed version of episode 1. And what I had to say about it was that t was decent. But Shinn's dubbed voice sounds like a 29-year-old security gaurd. He was suppose to have a voice similar to Kira's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rpgothic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 am Reply with quote
Destiny is a pretty good sequel to Seed, however i feel Kira Yamato was a more interesting and likeable protagonist, as compred to Shinn Asuka - but until the final part of the show, we don't really see him in a lead role (which is a shame).

Destiny is very good as compared to Seed being a masterpiece!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, as the person who wrote the Destiny review, I actually despise the show with a burning passion for a whole, delicious myriad of reasons, including crappy and heavily recycled animation, a horrible script rife with last-minute story changes, gross inconsistencies, & a complete lack of a coherent plot, and the ridiculous need to fall back on (and in the process mutilate) the returning SEED cast all because writer Morosawa was too lazy to even try and develop the newcomers as convincing leads.

Unfortunately, given that the opening episodes of Destiny were actually okay, I wasn't able to unleash all unholy hell upon the show in this review (as reviews are only intended to cover the material on the DVD and nothing more). Maybe if I'm given later volumes to review, though. Maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JustFlash

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
I watched the original SeeD in Japanese, subbed in English, and was so pleased with it I picked up each new disc on release day. DESTINY is far from equal to SeeD. The whole series seems rushed and poorly thought out.

You're pretty much dead on in everything you said. I watched DESTINY in the original Japanese, subbed in English. In no way does this series live up to the original SeeD. The story is poor, and predictable. Especially after you hear who does the voice acting for some of the characters that may not have shown by episode 5. All told DESTINY turns into a poor copy of a great series, SeeD. All told if you haven't seen it, buy it, if you have, borrow your friend's copy when you get nostalgiac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2