• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Staff Wanted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I am allowed to see anything other than hentai and yaoi, so anything is good. I won't brag, because that would seem disrespectful.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Man,all the best jobs are for 18 years olds.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So with that in mind I'm going to say 17, since that's how old you need to be to get into an R-rated film.

Oh poo, and here I was practically falling out of my seat with excitement. Maybe I'll get my chance in another four years. Wink
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Man,all the best jobs are for 18 years old

Careers are. Like CGI animation for example. I wanna do CGI when I grow up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I love the reviews here at ANN and I'm looking forward to reading some new perspectives. I was going to try and apply but when I found I did not have enough time to write even one mock review for the application I had to reconsider. Anime cry Would've been fun to try though.

Last edited by undeadben on Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Although you are hiring reviewers to input 4 reviews a week, etc, etc ...

Are you also accepting applications from people (like myself) who could only submit 1-2 reviews a week? Basically are you hiring anyone other than the 2 spots open, like for instance (more freelancers)?

And did that question make sence?
Mizu-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
While I'm extremely excited about this turn of events, I do have a few questions before I send in my reviews.

The first one concerns the "active buyer" part of the job description. I'm an active buyer of far too many mangas and DVDs, but I was curious if every review had to be of brand-new series and volumes. Say I wanted to do a review of volume 9 of Urusei Yatsura... would that be acceptable or are you looking more for reviews of the hottest new anime to be licenesed? I could do both, but I wouldn't mind reviewing some older DVDs as well.

Well, that was actually the only question I did have. Thanks for the great opportunity!
Neuroretardant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Since the thread seems to be focused exclusively on the reviewer positions (which understandably will be of interest to a much higher percentage of the readership) I'll send my inquiries about the other position via e-mail.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
i'm just curious but like the reviewers, must the candidates for the translators also only be residents from the US or Canada?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Mizu-chan wrote:
While I'm extremely excited about this turn of events, I do have a few questions before I send in my reviews.

The first one concerns the "active buyer" part of the job description. I'm an active buyer of far too many mangas and DVDs, but I was curious if every review had to be of brand-new series and volumes. Say I wanted to do a review of volume 9 of Urusei Yatsura... would that be acceptable or are you looking more for reviews of the hottest new anime to be licenesed? I could do both, but I wouldn't mind reviewing some older DVDs as well.

Well, that was actually the only question I did have. Thanks for the great opportunity!

This question has been answered already. Please read my responses on page 1.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
i'm just curious but like the reviewers, must the candidates for the translators also only be residents from the US or Canada?

Yes, and prefferably the US. It's going to cost us far too much in shipping costs (not to mention the increased delivery time) to have critics in other countries.
indrik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
How is copyright handled in situations like this? Is it retained by the author, or sold to the website? Out of curiousity. I've only published academically, so no money changes hands on my level and copyright isn't typically an issue. I was surprised, though, I've got a handful of reviews that made it to 750 or 800 words, without any comments on dvds. Of course, they stink, but that's not going to stop me from bringing it up here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
How is copyright handled in situations like this? Is it retained by the author, or sold to the website? Out of curiousity. I've only published academically, so no money changes hands on my level and copyright isn't typically an issue. I was surprised, though, I've got a handful of reviews that made it to 750 or 800 words, without any comments on dvds. Of course, they stink, but that's not going to stop me from bringing it up here.

Uh... obviously any reviews written for us become property of Anime News Network.
IchigoKurosaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
Exactly what should the applications look like?
smackdee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yes, and prefferably the US. It's going to cost us far too much in shipping costs (not to mention the increased delivery time) to have critics in other countries.

I live in the UK and TBH, i've usually had the DVDs you review for weeks before the review appears (or, if it isn't one i personally own, i could have had it). Plus, if the need arose for a title to be reviewed that i didn't already own i could get hold of most things within days anyway from UK importers. Recieving stuff for free doesn't interest me at all; i'm quite happy to pay for my anime (i spend about $600 minimum a month on DVDs alone), even for things i wouldn't have previously considered. No, i'm more interested in being given the opportunity to write about something i'm passionate & knowledgeable about (i don't claim to be some ultra-otaku, in fact, i don't claim to be an otaku at all, just an anime & japanese culture enthusiast), and seeing as ANN is an internet-based business, i don't see why recruiting has to be restricted the US & Canada.

Just my 20 pence, like.[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5