• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Japan Expo USA First Impact CEO Sean Chiochankitmun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Oh, that's entirely true. I just mean people weren't captive by re-entry fees. More so by proximity to any other restaurants.

To be honest, My original post was mostly addressing the food situation. I think Japan Expo could be a huge success, not only with the anime con community, but also with the local community who love exploring different cultures. They would go for the cultural events and to sample things they have never seen or experienced before. However, this area is a big foodie mecca, so people will expect food to be a part of it.

Also, since most people who live and work in this neck of the woods are most likely employed in tech of some sort, they have experienced the Santa Clara Convention Center first hand. Most people here don't regard it as a place to go for "fun". A venue change would be in the best interests of the con.

Yeah, if they are going for the culture thing, Japanese food is an important part. I still remember eating the Japanese skewer food in the alleyway, along with all the Japanese workers in Yokosuka.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Well this was very interesting article. Glad to see Japan Expo USA done well. Can't wait to see what happen in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
For me I live close to the Santa Clara Convention Center so leaving and coming back by car to eat is not a problem. But yeah the food at the con was the worst and to add insult to injury overpriced for the quality and selection. For others walking was out of the question, I even bagged my own lunch for one of the days.

A different date to be held would be in order. Other than the lines to get in even if they were longer the scanning of your ticket is the way to go. I rather have a print out and get in lightening fast than stand in 2-8 hour lines to get a stinking badge on a holder that looks pretty even if you pre-registered.

The only thing I hated and I talked to a lot of other con goers who felt the same way, I met some great people while in a line to no-where is their autograph policies. If they have a big name guest they truly need a first come first serve line-up that the premium ticket holders can't take all those spots making it pointless to line up outside before the con no matter how early you show up. And ditch the random draw bull shit. If I didn't line up early enough then I wouldn't be so pissed and it would be my own fault. And they should have made it so if you got a signature from said guest you couldn't get another chance at one but they did.

If they are so hard up for money then a paid pass for a guaranteed autograph only on top of the entry ticket.

As for the professional panels I would liked to seen them run a little longer and not been a whole hour of them showing previews and making a pitch of their newest products. Something more interactive and more time for one on one questions.

They better step their game next year and have more things to see and do, yeah it was cheap to get in but if I wasn't local, no way would I go again next year unless they had a guest I had to see and even then I'd better get my autograph if I lined up early at the crack of dawn and paid top dollar or I'll boycott them till the day I die,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2