• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancerest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
no, you're never too old for anything. Except for being young. You can never truely be that again.

Which is why I believe Anime is so important to each of us. It's not "just a bunch of cartoons". It's an escape from the pressures of reality, even if it's only for just a little while. Thus the "ageless" factor.

The reason I don't consider Anime and most typical "American" cartoons to be one and the same is because of the general continuity contained in almost any given anime series. We have our Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Disney movies, etc., but these are usually short self-contained stories with little character development and created for the short attention span of your average 5- 10 year old. Most Anime spans several episodes following a coherent plot. As an adult, I want more than just a "quick fix". I want to truely "experience" and know in detail about the characters I am learning about. This is something most American "cartoons" can't provide. While I'm sure there are exceptions, this seems to be the standard case.

And yes, Yuki555, it DOES help to be able to purchase your own anime. I never watch TV, which means I don't watch Cartoon Network. So the only way I get to watch Anime is through my own purchasing power. Even this has it's drawbacks for me. You see, I refuse to make a purchase unless I can aquire the whole series at one time. Obtaining one DVD in a six DVD series is akin to torture, so I must either hope that the series I want is old enough that it's all available, or I have to wait until it's all out. The only time I disregarded this personal rule was with Excel Saga. I had to wait many long months to finally complete the series, and it made me realize once again that if I can't have it all, I'd rather wait! (On a side note- That's one reason I DON'T watch CN. Waiting an ENTIRE DAY to find out what happens next? Ouch. That, and my scheduling makes it easier on me to just make the purchase. That way I can watch when it's convienient.)
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm 22 years old and dont think Im too old for anime. Its exciting fun. I also play games. Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I was drawing breath when mankind first landed on the Moon, so that makes me one of the senior citizens around here. There's no real upper age limit for anime fandom. On the AS messageboard, I've seen lots of posts from people in their 40s and 50s, and some from people even older. Same is true on other forums I visit. There's an active contingent of older anime fans out there right now. Yeah, I get some strange looks when I mention my interest in anime, along the lines of "What's a grown man doing watching cartoons," because of the stereotype that amime is something teenagers watch, not adults. But I enjoy the fun and mental stimulation of anime, just like others might enjoy sports. (^_*)
skullman65

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Im a teenager so I cant really relate to the to old for anime part of this post but I will comment on the other parts of the post. I agree with you most people I know who are anime freaks like me are nice and more carefree and arent stressing or freaking out bout every little thing. One reason I think people who love anime are better people is because they have less time to get in to trouble. Most popular people think im weird because I love anime but now that I've gotten into anime i haven't been as couscious of what people think and it so much easier to live with out trying to live to please. so thats why i think anime makes people better.

It may be completely wrong or utter nonsense but thats my opinion Razz
Masayume

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with older people liking anime. But I'm sorry, its creepy having a woman in her 40's dressed up like an anime character running an anime panel. I just think there's a certain point where it might being going slightly too far. I don't even cosplay now lol, don't think I ever will.
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Or to put your reaction to that anime panelist another way, Masayume, you looked at her as an oddball and thought "What's a grown woman doing running around dressed like a cartoon character." Yeah, must be something wrong with her. Not. (^_*)
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:48 pm Reply with quote
ok, I'm 20, turning 21 in a few months. I have Cardcaptor Sakura dolls, DBZ action figures, and I watch anime like 20 hours a week. My bedroom is buried in anime and manga, i keep all of anime vhs in a closet, which is a pretty big closet, i could sleep in the floor if i wanted to, and I'm 5 feet (yeah i'm short but you get the idea of the size of my closet) and thats just for vhs. my manga is all over my room, i dont really have a place for it yet so its just hanging out in piles in my room, unless i knock one over, then its just a mess, because my dvds have taken over an entire section of my room, burying my video games ( I have a dc in case you were wondering) and my cds...i cant see the floor in my room, and i dont even know what i have or dont have anymore because i keep adding to the piles...I am a major addict and have been like this for years (grew up on Voltron, DBZ, Sailor Moon, and Transformers) and I know I will be like this for the rest of my life Smile oh yeah, i cosply too...actually, the way a dress "normally" looks like it came from anime...my friends joke and say I'm a real live anime character... Laughing
nagash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:45 am Reply with quote
I spent my teen years living in my grandmothers house, with my uncle, mom, brother and gramdmom. I'm the only one that still watches anime.
My brother was more into midieval themes, so anime wasn't a hit for him.
I'm 31 now, and I still watch anime. It's not often (too many bills to be able to buy it and cable only shows anime during the morning once in a while), but I do watch anime here and there.
When I was 18, I was buying anime at the video store. My uncle was one of those guys who's lifestyle was firmly in the past. To him, all forms of animation (didn't matter if it was the shows they put on t.v. at Christmas, Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Robotech, etc.) were meant for 3 year olds. If you were over 3 and still watching them then you were not a child in his eyes.
He'd ridicule me in front of his friends. He'd berate me in front of anyone around if he caught me watching anime. As such, I take the very direct approtch when dealing with people that consider themselves too old to watch anime, or that anime is only for kids.
I left a copy of Plastic Little by the VCR one day, knowing my uncle would see it. I know he watched it. It wasn't there when I looked the next morning, and no one else had been awake to move it.
It worked. He never bothered me again about anime.
On a more recent front, I work for a bank, and if you mention that you like anime where you work you are treated like a 2 year old. Fortunately, I work 3rd shift, and don't deal with a lot of people here. The ones I do deal with know better than to take anime as kids stuff. I'm 31, and the youngest member of the department.
Nobody else knew what anime was. When I bring in magazines, or manga, or catalogs, they used to laugh. I told them this one and it got them thinking:
I described an anime, but I didn't tell them it was an anime. I described Your Under Arrest: The Movie. If you haven't seen it, it's an action movie with a plot (something you find lacking in most American action movies ^_^). I described the entire movie and asked them if they wanted to see it. They all said yes. I then asked if they'd still want to see it even though it was animated. They all said no.
Thus the mindset. It's alright if it's digital, or done with real actors, etc., but not if its anime.
Either way, they don't bug me anymore. I don't plan to stop watching anime. I don't plan on stopping promoting anime.
Sorry for the long post.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don't think that a person can be "too old" for anime. I'm 35 and I look at anime as I would look at just about any other medium. There are many different genres in the anime world so there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Sure, I have gone through a couple of burn out periods (I've been a fan of Japanese animation for as long as I can remember) but I always come back because I love and miss it.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:59 am Reply with quote
you guys are amazing. Very confedent indeed. "nagash" ..Your story with your uncle story was quite an amusment Shocked Razz Razz . I am happy that all of your stand up to yourself and our quite unique hobby. Very Happy
2old4this
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll be 45 in September.
I got my 9 year old daughter into anime when she was maybe 6, her 6 year old sister kinda likes it too, though not as much.
My wife is quite sure there's something wrong with me. She's right, but it aint anime.
Oh yeah, I have an AS in mechanical engineering and a BA in English, so I can't be accused of not having at least an average amount of grey matter.
Watch all the anime you want, screw anyone who thinks you're too old.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy yes. actually, I have gotten some of my college professers into anime, one of which says she's always been a fan of cartoons but never was exposed to anime. She is particularly interested in Reign, afterall I am a Classics major and she is one of my primary professers. so yeah, you are never too old for anime, whether you have been a long time fan or just getting into it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Truth is there is no such thing as being too old for anything. If it makes you happy and it's legal then why stop? There is so much diversity in our culture that it really isn't all that clear just what "normal" is any more. There's also no correlation between what you like and your maturity level. Take me for example, I'm 23 and along with the anime I'm also an avid toy collector, love video games, and still have enough money to get my monthly comic books after bills. However I also work in nursing and have been taking care of alzheimer's disease patients since I was 16, I'm totally independant as far as living goes, I was able to buy a brand new car on my own a few years back, and now I'm looking to buy (not rent) a house. Not bad for a geek, eh?

Even if you thought you were too old, there is enough anime out there that caters to adults (without being hentai) that you could still be happily within the "limits".

You've got the right mind frame, don't let anyone tell you that what you're doing is wrong. After all, what's right?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Smile I've always been a strong believer in that you are as old as you feel, and honsetly, most of the time I feel like a 5 year old...but I also tell people that I'm 16, I've been doing that for 4 almost 5 years now...I still like Pokemon and I had to restrain myself today from buying My Little Pony toys...Life's short so we might as well enjoy it by doing something we love!
jlc08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime smallmouth Your never to old for anime, for example, if your 65, you can still watch anime. know matter what you can still watch anime! Anime smile [/b][/code]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16