• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Video Game Rankings, August 5-11

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
Nah, no need. If you can't see how .4% is so much smaller than 41% and you don't want to bring up any sort of data to back up your statement then there's no point going any further. That'd just be a large waste of time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Nah, no need. If you can't see how .4% is so much smaller than 41% and you don't want to bring up any sort of data to back up your statement then there's no point going any further. That'd just be a large waste of time.

But you're the one here who came in with the numbers. I'm not trying to be antagonizing since I don't know offhand the numbers back then; that's why I was asking you first off before I could go on. But I am saying that you can't use today's 360 sales in Japan in relation to today's Vita sales in the West. The numbers have to be when they are at the same age, which would be 1.5 years.

In the meantime, let's at least get this out of the way: my point in this thread is basically the same as Ryan's. My previous reply to make it clear:

dan9999 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Vita is to the west as 360 is to Japan.

Not, not really.

RyanSaotome wrote:

Vita looks like its well on its way to being a very successful console in Japan that is overlooked in the West...

Similar way that "360 looks like it's well on its way to being a very successful console in the West that is overlooked in Japan."

OK, now that's out of the way, here's where I was going with your post of numbers:

You said that almost 5,000 Vitas sold this week in the US whereas there were 275 Xbox 360 units sold this week for Japan.

Then I asked, but what's the 360 units sold that week in Japan when it was the same age as the Vita now (which again is 1.5 years old)? Because that's a fair way to look at this, not when this week now when the 360 is 8 years old. Offhand I don't know the numbers to that; that's why I asked since you introduced the numbers.

What I'm wondering is, if the then-1.5-yr-old 360s sold that week in Japan, say, ~2000 units and with the US having about 2.5x the population of Japan, then 2000x2.5=5000 equivalent units in the US, which would be the same as the 1.5-yr-old Vita sold this week in the US now according to you. Which would show that their rates are similar.

But again, I don't know the numbers offhand back then; that's why I asked you first off before I could go on further.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
How about some total numbers then, ones that compose the entire time of release? Surely you have no qualms with that? Numbers below are approximates for simpler math.

Sony PlayStation Vita
Global Total Sales: 5,500,000
Japanese Total Sales: 1,700,000
Japanese Ratio of Global Total: 30.9%

Microsoft Xbox 360
Global Total Sales: 78,000,000
Japanese Total Sales: 1,600,000
Japanese Ratio of Global Total: 2%

Nintendo 3DS
Global Total Sales: 33,800,000
Japanese Total Sales: 12,000,000
Japanese Ratio of Global Total: 35.5%

So not only does the Vita's numbers in the west vastly outperform the 360's numbers in Japan, but the Vita itself has a larger percentage of units sold outside Japan than the 3DS does. So yeah, every ounce of data supports that you not having any sort of data or any idea what you were talking about made a mistake with your claim. Shocking.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
Once again, you're forgetting about time. You can't compare the rate of an 1.5-yr-old system to an 8-yr-old system now. Who knows what could change in the next 6.5 years? That's why you have to use points when they were at similar ages. These are time-sensitive numbers - they change thru time, not remain constant. (You think that 30% will always be the same? You think that 2% has always been the same?) So if you're gonna compare the numbers, you gotta superimpose the rates at similar points of their ages. You can't forget about time.

And now this goes on to the 2nd point: the West has a much larger population than Japan, so it has to be per-capita to figure out the rate of market penetration. The ratio is not supposed to be to the total copies sold but per-capita to get a fair equivalence due to the huge discrepancy in populations. And again, superimposed at the same age points as it is time-sensitive.

Third, basically what it comes down to is this premise: I believe the Vita is overlooked in the West just as the 360 is overlooked in Japan. Are you trying to show it is or it is not? If you don't believe that, then I just can't help you.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Vita looks like its well on its way to being a very successful console in Japan that is overlooked in the West... just like the PSP.

But the PSP wasn't overlooked in the West, though.

PSP sales by region
North America: 21.33 million
Europe: 23.59 million
Japan: 19.81 million
Rest of the world: 14.87 million

Best selling PSP game
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories: 7.51 million, which is from the UK.

Best selling Japanese PSP game
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: 5.37 million

As for other games, that sold well in North America and Europe, there are several. I consider 200k to be "well" and several games sold over 200k in each region alone.

So stop using that misconception. That misconception is wrong and always was.

Do you consider the SNES to be overlooked in the West? It sold as much in the States as the PSP did. About 20 million+. The SNES didn't do so hot in Europe, but in the States it did.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I guess that people's expectations have just changed, since more households have consoles than they did in the past. The Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis consoles both sold around that much back in the early 1990s, but I fear that people today would consider that a failure today. I actually consider it really impressive. I even consider the under 10 million units that the Sega Dreamcast sold worldwide to be impressive. If you really want to see a failure, consider something like the Phillips CD-interactive platform. It sold somewhere between 500,000 and 1 million units.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2