• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman!- Anime World Order Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Want to really stand out at an anime convention? Wear a suit and tie. THAT is out of the ordinary.

This is so very, VERY true. My fiance and his brother went to a con as Turks from Final Fantasy 7 once- they even made fake Shira basges to put over their con badges. End result- everyone assumed they were Convention Hall staff. Including the Convention Hall staff. Apparently, not once in 3 days did anyone stop them and ask why they didn't have a con badge on. This is all despite the fact that they wore black suits (and staff wore green) and had white badges (as opposed to pink, as I remember.) We think we inadverently found the best way to sneak into our local con without paying. Laughing

(for the record, no, we have never snuck into our local con without paying. It is simply a long-running joke.)
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
To reach the ULTIMATE mark of faux-authority: wear a suit, tie, AND CARRY A CLIPBOARD.

I certainly love me some Giant Robo and Ring ni Kakero, but let's keep things in perspective guys: we're giving anime recommendations for someone who'll be in kindergarten that isn't already a fan of anime. That's why I set those conditional restrictions, particularly the "there should be an English dub" one. I imagine that most boys age 5-6 would view reading subtitles on video as a chore.

Setting aside my length restriction GaoGaiGar is a decent pick, but the portion of the series that stands out to me as great is the second half and sequel OAV which was retooled to appeal to the more hardcore robot show audience, than the much more kid-friendly first half. Luckily, that first half tells a complete story, so people should totally show kids one episode of at least that part of GaoGaiGar a day. The second half is a judgment call. Media Blasters was hoping it might catch on the way that Voltron did back in the 80s, but that's not exactly possible without TV.

Man, kid-suitable robot toy commercial shows like GaoGaiGar and G Gundam--another good pick!--really went extinct in favor of the collectible battling-type cartoons, didn't they?

gerbilx wrote:
No watching little girls die? Kanon was quite popular here as an anime.

That is of course not directly related to what I was talking about, which is visual novels, but it does illustrate a point I made: "quite popular" by mania/otaku standards is a very different thing than "quite popular" by more general anime fan standards. That is, the Kanon anime isn't "quite popular" here the way that Evangelion or Fullmetal Alchemist are. As an aside: the Kanon visual novel was--per my very limited knowledge on the subject--never commercially released in the US, presumably due to the fact that everyone who would've bought it played a fan translated version already.

I can't provide any exact numbers regarding how well the Kanon anime sold in the US, but I do know that it sold well enough to make money and warrant subsequent releases of other visual novel anime adaptations that I won't be watching. But much like US releases of visual novels, on average that figure tends to mean about a few thousand copies these days; 2000 is a number I often hear as a "it's lucky if we sell that" figure. A few years ago that number was 15,000.

This is the crossroads anime is at, and the one that perhaps visual novels may soon reach with any luck: whether to cater to the highly dedicated yet progressively shrinking otaku crowd or to a wider, potentially larger audience that is far less likely to come around to your product. Hmm, maybe that came up in the next ANNCast given the guest they've got lined up...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I certainly love me some Giant Robo and Ring ni Kakero, but let's keep things in perspective guys: we're giving anime recommendations for someone who'll be in kindergarten that isn't already a fan of anime. That's why I set those conditional restrictions, particularly the "there should be an English dub" one. I imagine that most boys age 5-6 would view reading subtitles on video as a chore.

Well, on my part, I did say that RnK1 is for those who are "adventurous" and want to take on fansubs... Naturally, that would only apply to those who have experience or are at least old enough to be fine with subtitles. That's why I put GaoGaiGar up as the first choice; I pretty much agree with your take on how it works for younger audiences, Daryl.

Really, though, it just comes down to the fact that what's acceptable for younger audiences in Japan wouldn't necessarily be considered acceptable for younger audiences over here. And very few companies are actually doing the animes that would be good for those kids nowadays. Discotek's children anime are a very good choice, as you pointed out, though I'll add in Sea Prince & the Fire Child; I haven't seen it yet but I did buy the DVD Discotek released and will probably check it out one day.

I'm also guessing you're trying to bring up titles that have been released on DVD, Daryl. Well, that's even trickier, as outside of Beyblade Metal Fusion being released right now, and maybe a Bakugan release here and there, most of those yougner audience DVD releases aren't in print anymore. Considering the trouble 4Kids is in right now we probably won't be seeing DVDs for more Yu-Gi-Oh!, for example.

Anime World Order wrote:
Media Blasters was hoping it might catch on the way that Voltron did back in the 80s, but that's not exactly possible without TV.

Oh, please don't remind of the time MB admitted that they were on the verge of getting GaoGaiGar on one of Disney's networks... Before Disney decided that little kids don't want giant robots just months after feeling that giant robots were the next big thing.

So it's not like MB didn't try to make it into the next Voltron, but the networks apparently didn't want that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Man, kid-suitable robot toy commercial shows like GaoGaiGar and G Gundam--another good pick!--really went extinct in favor of the collectible battling-type cartoons, didn't they?

I think the last one I can remember off the top of my head was Gear Fighter Dendoh in 2000. All the rest are things like Gurren Lagann which are super niche otaku shows that celebrate how awesome super robot shows where.

Even Transformers Animated had a Jam Project song made for it to draw in the Otakus.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Raise that kid right: show him Fist of the North Star! Hey, it worked for the rest of the world!

Amen to that!

But that aside, I would say show the kids a little bit of everything (not just the "made for kids" stuff) and let them pick what they want to watch more of. That is about how my parents did it. Well, my dad anyway. My mom tried to shelter me, but then I went into the next room where my dad was watching the newest Steven Seagal movie and he said I could watch if I bring him a couple of beers. I was about 5 at the time BTW, and at the ripe old age of 25 I have a spotless criminal record and a good job....

Things I would show my proverbial kids if any woman was crazy and/or drunk enough to try to make them with me:

Fist of the North Star
Any other long-running Shonen show (the pacing annoys adults, but lets face it it is designed for kids!)
Any Shojo show
Anything by Miyazaki
Magical Play
Twelve Kingdoms
Gurren Lagann
Trigun
Aria (if they can handle it)
Battle Athletes
Magic Knight Rayearth
Moribito
Nadia
Slayers
Rin ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ (alright this one is a joke I admit...)
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Lewis wrote:
At least I am not one of the cowardly fly-jin who wet their pants and fled home to mommy at the first sign of trouble. I would say they ran away like little girls, but that would be an insult to the little girls playing in the park in front of my apartment complex as I write this.

I'm one of those fly-jin who left Tokyo a few days after the quake. But sorry, I'm not going to deal with more radiative materials in my body than what I was already exposed to the day I left (the day radioactive materials first hit Tokyo). Unlike most residents of Tokyo, I had somewhere safe I could go, and so I did.
daveriley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
I formally request residuals for the use of the term "Kung-Fu Scientists."
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Quote:
Want to really stand out at an anime convention? Wear a suit and tie. THAT is out of the ordinary.

This is so very, VERY true. My fiance and his brother went to a con as Turks from Final Fantasy 7 once- they even made fake Shira basges to put over their con badges. End result- everyone assumed they were Convention Hall staff. Including the Convention Hall staff. Apparently, not once in 3 days did anyone stop them and ask why they didn't have a con badge on. This is all despite the fact that they wore black suits (and staff wore green) and had white badges (as opposed to pink, as I remember.) We think we inadverently found the best way to sneak into our local con without paying. Laughing

(for the record, no, we have never snuck into our local con without paying. It is simply a long-running joke.)

I totally followed that formula last year when I went to the two cons I normally go to (except for the con badge part)... but not a single person batted an eye. I was incredibly disappointed... maybe I should have included a clipboard with the suit Smile

But I think the con atmosphere depends on the con you go to though. One of the cons I normally go to (not this year though) its run by a university and I think it tends to attract a more mature crowd of anime fans. Sure, there were some people yelling memes and dresses in gothic lolita, and plenty of (awesome) cosplayers, but there are just as many normally dressed and no one seemed to care. As well, in general, people were very well behaved. But I think it also depends on the programming that's offered. There was a lot of diverse programming, and I think that also helped in attracting a more mature crowd.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I did indeed completely neglect to mention Discotek's also having released Sea Prince and the Fire Child. Also good, but honestly speaking girls tend to like that one way, WAY more than boys. Perhaps it's because of how much the art is reminiscent of the Walt Disney Peter Pan?

Most everything Hardgear mentioned is decent, but I'd probably wait until they were closer to 10-12. Twelve Kingdoms for instance is chock full with tons and tons of terminology that's not the easiest to keep track of, as I noted in my review. But if they're old enough for "young adult," then the field's pretty much open. I know of some older fans who've successfully shown their elementary-school aged kids/relatives things such as Star Blazers and Robotech at about that age since that's about the age they themselves saw them.

Rutilcaper wrote:
I formally request residuals for the use of the term "Kung-Fu Scientists."

I THINK THIS SHOULD COVER IT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
There's no market for "visual novels" as a general-purpose medium in Japan, so I'm not sure what people are expecting really.

There are tons of galge/eroge/otomege/BLge that use that format for their character-love/fap games, because it's cheap and effective. And then every now and then somebody makes something kind of novel-ish that isn't primarily a character-love game, such as the already mentioned Phoenix Wright.

But the way people talk about the format in English, you'd think that in Japan it was some massive mainstream medium filled with variety, comparable to books or comics, which is ridiculous. Maybe some culture somewhere will develop that, but it certainly isn't the case in Japan and I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is no way for me to answer this without earning the vehement ire of the small yet EXTREMELY vocal English-speaking online fanbase of visual novels. I suspect they defy the “1% Rule” of Internet participation inequality such that they're ALL actively posting online.

Actually most of the international VN fandom is mostly people who aren't that crazy about them and only really participate in the community when a new game is released and I'm sure that there is an even larger silent majority.

Or maybe I'm responding too seriously to something that's clearly a joke. Rolling Eyes

Annf wrote:
There's no market for "visual novels" as a general-purpose medium in Japan, so I'm not sure what people are expecting really.

There are tons of galge/eroge/otomege/BLge that use that format for their character-love/fap games, because it's cheap and effective. And then every now and then somebody makes something kind of novel-ish that isn't primarily a character-love game, such as the already mentioned Phoenix Wright.

But the way people talk about the format in English, you'd think that in Japan it was some massive mainstream medium filled with variety, comparable to books or comics, which is ridiculous. Maybe some culture somewhere will develop that, but it certainly isn't the case in Japan and I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon.

Visual novels are a niche product, but still not that much smaller niche than anime DVDs in Japan. From what I gather Maeda Jun's Key games have all sold at least around 200,000 copies and Fate/Stay Night sold 100,000 in pre-orders alone + other sales + 190,000 for Realta Nua. Of course those games are expectionally well selling smash hits, and your average visual novel is a big hit with 10,000 sales (like your average anime DVD) and should feed it's creators with even much smaller sales (if they didn't splurge on flashy OP, big name seiyuu or actual gameplay). And considering that between 2002 and 2007 there was over 500 eroge (not counting the all-ages games) released every year there is a rather huge competion for the contents of the otaku's wallet.

Anyway my point is that they are a niche, but not that much smaller niche in Japan than other mediums aimed at otaku (like most anime and a large number of manga and light novels).
topleka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt that there will be a "visual novel boom," in the way there was an "anime boom" or anything like that. When the Harry Potter series got crazy popular, that didn't suddenly mean that everyone wanted to read a whole bunch of books. It only meant that everyone wanted to read Harry Potter. While some Potter fans probably did go on to read more, for the most part, it didn't increase the popularity of books in general. There will be some good visual novels that will probably stand out in the crowd (like 999, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, etc.), but in general, that's not going to mean that everyone's suddenly going to like playing visual novels.

If the story is good, then rock on. It'll find an audience. The good stories that break free from the average galge and otome games are the ones that actually stand out. Just write a good story. The medium doesn't matter nearly as much as the story in it.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Consider the US success of titles like Persona, Phoenix Wright, and Professor Layton which all incorporate elements of visual novels and satisfy the above criteria. They're rather popular with the ladies, too! The result: while a typical visual novel is lucky to sell 2000 copies, each of these titles have sold hundreds of thousands of copies just in North America. Currently, 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is doing well enough to have sold out and been reprinted. THIS APPROACH CAN WORK.

A VN MUST DE-EMPHASISE GAMEPLAY
It's a major part of the definition that seperates them from other adventure games, they about reading the text. If they have more gameplay they cease being a visual novel and go back to being a regular adventure game.

Accurate PC sales data isn't easy to come by. The big stuff sells about 100k. The higest, I can find numbers for is over 300k (Kanon).
lewisfoster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Lewis wrote:
At least I am not one of the cowardly fly-jin who wet their pants and fled home to mommy at the first sign of trouble. I would say they ran away like little girls, but that would be an insult to the little girls playing in the park in front of my apartment complex as I write this.

I'm one of those fly-jin who left Tokyo a few days after the quake. But sorry, I'm not going to deal with more radiative materials in my body than what I was already exposed to the day I left (the day radioactive materials first hit Tokyo). Unlike most residents of Tokyo, I had somewhere safe I could go, and so I did.

Ha ha. You absorbed more radiation on the plane flight home than I did the entire month of staying in Tokyo.

Source

- Lewis
stanislaus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Quote:
Raise that kid right: show him Fist of the North Star! Hey, it worked for the rest of the world!

Amen to that!

But that aside, I would say show the kids a little bit of everything (not just the "made for kids" stuff) and let them pick what they want to watch more of. That is about how my parents did it. Well, my dad anyway. My mom tried to shelter me, but then I went into the next room where my dad was watching the newest Steven Seagal movie and he said I could watch if I bring him a couple of beers. I was about 5 at the time BTW, and at the ripe old age of 25 I have a spotless criminal record and a good job....

Things I would show my proverbial kids if any woman was crazy and/or drunk enough to try to make them with me:

Fist of the North Star
Any other long-running Shonen show (the pacing annoys adults, but lets face it it is designed for kids!)
Any Shojo show
Anything by Miyazaki
Magical Play
Twelve Kingdoms
Gurren Lagann
Trigun
Aria (if they can handle it)
Battle Athletes
Magic Knight Rayearth
Moribito
Nadia
Slayers
Rin ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~ (alright this one is a joke I admit...)
Having never posted before, this is a test.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4