• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Key's Planetarian Visual Novel Translated Into English on iOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
It's not really a game. Game connotes chance, meaning ya could do the exact same thing over and over again.............. and yet end up with different results. More like Choose Your Own Adventure™. Smile
RaccoonGoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy to see this finally, and I'm considering buying it (even though I don't have a compatible device) just to show support for their works in the western market.

A question though: is this version voiced?

EDIT: Nevermind, Googlefu answered my question. Apparently, it's a port of the Memorial Edition and is fully voiced. Now, the question is, to buy or not to buy...
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm extremely surprised and having a hard time believing it.

While the anime versions of their games have come over, Key's position for the games themselves has not exactly been friendly. I remember one of the guys at Hirameki back in 2007 saying they tried to get a Key game, but the licensing fees Key wanted were astronomical.

Man I hope this really is the company posting this. I plan on supporting it and hope it sells well enough to encourage them to keep doing it with their other properties.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:

While the anime versions of their games have come over, Key's position for the games themselves has not exactly been friendly. I remember one of the guys at Hirameki back in 2007 saying they tried to get a Key game, but the licensing fees Key wanted were astronomical.

Might as well. Hirameki's games like Phantom of Inferno sat on the store shelves collecting dust. Key knew it all along and maybe didn't want to sully its brand with that scenario. Laughing
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Might as well. Hirameki's games like Phantom of Inferno sat on the store shelves collecting dust. Key knew it all along and maybe didn't want to sully its brand with that scenario. Laughing

Yeah, it seemed like they really struggled with getting their products out there and, for visual novels being so story-heavy, the writing was poorly edited. Though I will always love Hirameki for introducing me to Ever17 (still one of, if not my my number one, favorite visual novel).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
Bought.

Now Clannad in English for iOS, please.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It's in the UK store also:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/planetarian-dream-little-star/id474121500 (£2.49)

but dagnabbit:

"Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later."

Exactly what was added after iOS 4.2 that is required for a visual novel? I most have hallucinated playing the Higurashi demo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
It's in the UK store also:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/planetarian-dream-little-star/id474121500 (£2.49)

but dagnabbit:

"Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later."

Exactly what was added after iOS 4.2 that is required for a visual novel? I most have hallucinated playing the Higurashi demo.

Eh, it's Apple. Quick to adopt new technologies; quick to drop older ones. And they have others do the same. It's their form of "planned obsolescence." Laughing
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's not really a game. Game connotes chance, meaning ya could do the exact same thing over and over again.............. and yet end up with different results. More like Choose Your Own Adventure™. Smile

In this particular case, Planetarian is even more linear than that since the player/reader has literally no way to interact with the story. And yet it's still one heck of a unique experience, everyone should try it. If I remember correctly it's not more than 3-4 hours long, depending on how fast you can read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

The new version of Apple's dev tools, Xcode 4.5, can only build for armv7 devices and newer. To end users, this looks like a 4.3-and-up policy, since the first two generations of iPhone and iPod touch (the armv6 devices) can't upgrade to iOS 4.3 and are forever stuck at 4.2.

It's unlikely any apps will be updated for 4.2-and-lower users, because it's now very difficult to do a build that can run on both iOS 4.2 and iOS 6, since no one version of Xcode supports both.
dburr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Disco Pete wrote:
spoiler[You Will Cry. That's all I'll say.]

Being a Key title, doesn't that sorta go without saying? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2