• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Magical Instrumentalists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why the hell did Kirito and Asuna had to be the best anime couple this year? How Asuna came to love Kirito is not even well developed in the anime, and any parts of the anime that attempted to develop their relationship only looked boring, generic, and lacked impact.

It's so popular, so (in fanboys' minds) they are as one of the "best anime couple of all time."

But they are badly developed! Asuna's slow, naive, needs saving all the time. She's like the Princess Peach of the anime world. Kirito's a Gary Stu.

While there are many more couples deserve the 1st rank, it's no surprised consider SAO's fanbase. This list is one-sided that it's not worth looking. Don't sweat it, it's not even worth your time.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm also saddened by the lack of RahXephon on this list... Quon is a really important character, and she plays the violin, the piano, and sings... I admit, it didn't give her any special powers...but it was an important concept for the series.

I hope the singer's list includes some RahXephon representation, especially since Music is so key to the plot.
fanime99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm also saddened by the lack of RahXephon on this list... Quon is a really important character, and she plays the violin, the piano, and sings... I admit, it didn't give her any special powers...but it was an important concept for the series.

I hope the singer's list includes some RahXephon representation, especially since Music is so key to the plot.

And it has that awesome opening theme (which reminds me of Kate Bush for some reason).
fanime99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I have forgotten the name of the character, but the animal in Excel Saga that Excel refers to as her emergency food supply - that's an annoying one.

For that matter, I'm not a fan of Negima's irritating ermine...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
There's Sargatanas from The Devil's Trill arc of Descendants of Darkness. I mean, I guess he's the actual musician, rather than the proxies who played his cursed violin and had his evil eye parts. Smile
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I now want to watch Violinist of Hameln. xD
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
And the man with the bluesy killer horn clocks in at #2! Oh, yeah, his manga version is so much cooler producing sound waves as powerful as a gravity crush!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
fanime99 wrote:
I'm surprised that Rah Xephon doesn't get a mention - the entire show is about music (and the attack of the alien race the Mu using sound/music). They even call their giant mecha pilot an instrumentalist...

RahXephons fall into the "vocalist" category, which I'll revisit at some point, I'm sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
As for the hated mascot, I really reallh hate that stupid dumbass wheeee cameo bat from Rosario Vampire.

Well actually I don't like the whole show but that bat is definitely one of the reasons.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
fanime99 wrote:
I have forgotten the name of the character, but the animal in Excel Saga that Excel refers to as her emergency food supply - that's an annoying one.
Menchi. It's the same name I gave to my chihuahua.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the title of this list I was like "this has to have Midvalley the Hornfreak on it". And I was correct Very Happy
unused

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Kon and Maromi are totally acceptable.
but Pikachu, Mokona, and Chopper!? Seriously?
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
Congrats for Kirito and Asuna. Asuna, I'm sorry you had to play damsel-in-distress during the ALO stuff, but at least you weren't the lame "help, oh help, someone help me, I'm so helpless by myself!" type of damsel. You nearly escaped by yourself, you were so VERY close. You're Aces in my book, Asuna, you're a strong female character and you can kick major keister, you just drew a "fiction faux-pas" card for ALO. I won't hold it against you, though. Good luck if you and Kirito have to fight against the real world next time to get Yui-chan recognized as a sentient being before official adoption can take place.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
When I saw the title for the list, I was sure Erin of Kemono no Sou-ja Erin would have to be included, but no, she's not there. Her unique ability to use music to calm and train mystical beasts plunges her into the middle of an imperial succession crisis.
DatOneGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping for at least an honorable mention of Oji Tanaka from Black Heaven. The subtitle or alternate name or whatever you want to call it is Hard Rock Save the Space after all. While not explicitly magical, the man does save space with heavy metal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4