• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, July 4-10

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been reading the Avatar OEL. Maybe Zuko's Story, though. The art looks nice on both of them. Is there a hard cover version of the movie's adaptation, or only a soft cover? Because...It didn't even debut on top, which would almost be expected of a series like Avatar which just had a movie (albeit a bad one) released. Maybe it will be able to cling to the list longer, though...

littlegreenwolf wrote:

Surprised at Ouran topping the list. Way to go girl manga... except Stepping on Roses. That manga makes my inner feminist want to commit suicide. It making the list does not help this sentiment.

At first I was going to ask what was wrong with it. Then I read the 3 sentence description on Wikipedia. So...It's one of "those" series where the female gets trampled on by the men around her and is expected to conform with their ideals? Yet, at the same time, she's still a bit shallow for hooking up with the guy in the first place and is unwilling to believe they're at fault for anything? Does she lack common sense and/or a backbone, but her/their behavior is glorified, at least to some extent, and she shows no signs of improving or independence?

Just curious if any of that happens. Smile I rarely read romance to begin with, but I avoid "those" series like the plague. That, and it feels like these series are fairly popular.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

At first I was going to ask what was wrong with it. Then I read the 3 sentence description on Wikipedia. So...It's one of "those" series where the female gets trampled on by the men around her and is expected to conform with their ideals? Yet, at the same time, she's still a bit shallow for hooking up with the guy in the first place and is unwilling to believe they're at fault for anything? Does she lack common sense and/or a backbone, but her/their behavior is glorified, at least to some extent, and she shows no signs of improving or independence?

Just curious if any of that happens. Smile I rarely read romance to begin with, but I avoid "those" series like the plague. That, and it feels like these series are fairly popular.

I'd be giving you a discredit if I suggested you did anything but hit the head of the nail with each and every assumption about Walking on Roses Barefoot.

Needless to say, it's predictable, unoriginal, and down right digusting at times to any woman with a smidgen of self respect, and I've read a LOT of shoujo manga (most of which I'm happy have never made it over here). The only thing it has going for it is a cute 70s retro shoujo manga style with the character designs, but it's far from enough to save it.

I've seen several people try to come to its defence, and am expecting for someone to do so in this tread, but discussing it is like trying to convince a lonely housewife that the majority of her romance novels are trash with the same exact storyline. It just develops to the point that you start to feel sorry for them, and even ashamed in attempting to denying them this odd sort of disturbing escape they find in such things. Who are we to judge what they find entertaining?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Who are we to judge what they find entertaining?

Who are we to judge what the Japanese find entertaining? Laughing
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:

Sad to see Nana debut so low. I'm on volume 8 and am impressed to death with the series so far. I wonder if it goes bad later on or if this #9 spot is where Nana always ranks. What a shame--more people should give this worthy series a try, even if they don't like shoujo typically.

Nana didn't catch on as much as it could have, which is sad. Until Vampire Knight made its debut in North America, Nana had top billing in the SB lineup (at least in the magazine - it wouldn't surprise me if Ouran was more popular than Nana from the get-go).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2