• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lapses of logic that bug me.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I loved Dennou Coil and the tech was well thought out, but there was a fair amount of hand-waving and stretches in believability (and that is ignoring the OOB stuff) - i.e. if you put your head in virtual water someone standing next to you can no longer hear you, being unable to see or go through virtual brick walls, your "virtual" body accurately reflecting what you are wearing (how does the system know? If you take your clothes off does the system create a naked virtual body?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Aaah yes, I also seem to remember thinking it odd the all encompassing power of the British Library would have a blind spot there Laughing

Funny thing is, they didn't know what it was. "Some house in Saitama"...

Actually, that brings me to the most frustrating logic lapse of all time. You know, the one that involves a band of heroes defeating an evil empire with almost limitless resources. Even LoGH in all its greatness has moments like that... but usually they involve the ship battles, which are generally awful, so I try to pretend that part didn't exist. Anyway, this one gets me every time, in any medium.

Oh and, another moment that I pretend never happened is the Lelouch's final plan in Code Geass. Logically, the sh*tstorm that will occur after the execution of that plan will eclipse anything that happened before. He should have looked at Leto II and followed that example. And from the beginning, it has meaning only if the people's hate is somehow concentrated on him... but how the hell would that happen? Because he had some fun at a "peace" conference? Oh please. And by the way, any decision adopted by that conference would have no legal weight... No, I definitely will continue pretending it never happened.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Aaah yes, I also seem to remember thinking it odd the all encompassing power of the British Library would have a blind spot there Laughing

And yet they somehow managed to make you overlook the idea that it is the British Flipping Library that has all encompassing power? Talk about lapses of logic. That's like having Tinkerbell play a sumo wrestler.

Then don't forget about that Chinese supercomputer that is running everything. It occupies a whole sub-building complex and runs the entire underworld, and it has a human interface with exactly two displays: Yes or No. In Kanji.

I love ROD -- one of my favorite animes ever. I want Anita to be my kid.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:

Code Geass R2
spoiler[The Black Knights betrayal of Lelouch. What the hell were they smoking? Lelouch was the only guy able to lead them to victory against Britannia and they turn on him because he’s not a saint and instead side with the enemy who oppressed them and destroyed their land for nearly a decade over circumstantial evidence and a promise that they will leave you alone?] Black Knights there are some Native American Indians that would like to have a chat with you about believing enemy promises with no guarantees.

spoiler[
Don't forget that the enemy just NUKED TOKYO, so The Black Knights had even 'more' reasons for believing him. Laughing]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

And yet they somehow managed to make you overlook the idea that it is the British Flipping Library that has all encompassing power? Talk about lapses of logic. That's like having Tinkerbell play a sumo wrestler.

Hey man, when I needed a copy of Fly Fishing by J.R. Hartley, they were there for me. Underestimate the British Library at your peril.

Last edited by dirkusbirkus on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Plenty of anime borders on the illogical or irrational at times...but, in addition to the fact that lapses in logic aren't unheard of in real life, most of it just falls under a sufficiently high suspension of disbelief. Either you're going to accept that the rules of logic and the limits of reality are going to be twisted or broken from time to time...or you don't. There's really no other way around it.

In other cases, however, something that might seem illogical at first sight actually makes sense from a certain point of view or at least has an understandable purpose in a fictional context, regardless of how unlikely or unrealistic it may be. Whether or not it still bothers you, of course, is another matter.

For instance...the first time I saw the Area 88 OVA, Shin's last decision seemed like a perfect candidate for this topic. spoiler[Instead of choosing to go back to his beloved, Shin realized that he had changed and chose to return to Area 88 itself where a possible death is all that awaits him. My first reaction was "this guy is stupid, he should just seek professional help instead of throwing away his only chance at happiness" but, after thinking things through...there is a certain dramatic progression at work here, which makes that a valid choice if not one I'd agree with on a personal or intellectual level.] In other words, a lapse in logic doesn't automatically mean senseless.

lesterf1020 wrote:

Code Geass R2
Black Knights there are some Native American Indians that would like to have a chat with you about believing enemy promises with no guarantees.

Aylinn wrote:

spoiler[
Don't forget that the enemy just NUKED TOKYO, so The Black Knights had even 'more' reasons for believing him. Laughing]

The real problem I have with the entire sequence of events isn't even the fact that spoiler[a betrayal happened, considering Lelouch didn't give a damn about anyone anymore, the Black Knights were in a state of confusion and Schneizel could have easily blown all of them up if they refused to hear him]...but how rushed its execution was. In other words, there were many factors that could have been invoked during the episode in order to produce a similar result...that just weren't explicitly brought up or given enough attention if they were.

So, ironically enough, I think the outcome was absolutely predictable at the time...the lapse of logic, which is what makes most of the Black Knights look dumb, lies in the poor presentation of the details. I blame Sunrise. Razz

Mister V wrote:

No, I definitely will continue pretending it never happened.

I also think that plan was very unrealistic....but for slightly different reasons, mind you, and it's still something that works as an appropriate conclusion to the main character's arc, if little else, in my humble opinion.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
A repost of something I had in the "What Are You Watching" thread when I finished it all. Not all of it is concerning lapses of logic.

Aria

Now, while there is tremendous suspension of belief needed for the show, and I oblige readily to enjoy the show, there are still some silly things that kind of bug me.

Passage of time... is age supposed to slow down for these people? In particular, do cats not age? I noticed in the new years episode that they decided to preserve the fact that a year on Mars is roughly equal to 687 earth days (New Years was on the 31st day of the 24th month). From the beginning of the first series to the end of the last almost three Mars years pass (more than three if you include the flash forward at the end), that's about 5- 5 3/4 Earth years. Yet President Maa is still a kitten and if you take the long years into consideration Pres. Aria is... impossibly old spoiler[(Okay- there's a chance he's related to Cait Smith and the "spirit of the planet" or whatever)].

And poor school students. The Martian day is very close to Earth's but the year is so much longer... yet a school year is still a year long! And apparently still takes as many years to graduate. Obviously the planet's school board just wants the kids out of the streets.

And yeah, they're interesting designs, but just what is up the cat designs? especially Pres. Aria? WTF are those shell things on his forehead? Does he have Elephantiasis to even look that way? And the toddler blather that is his "speech," what is that? When I first saw images of the show, and for the first couple episodes I was unsure what he was supposed to be, I thought maybe some Martian/Aquarian pet. A cat? That can't be right. Granted, Maa looks like a panda but no other cats resemble Aria- they look like cartoony but normal cats. spoiler[(well, not Cait Smith so much- but his head is at least round)]

and finally.
Okay, rename Mars as Aqua, considering the absolutely impossible feat that was accomplished of making a dead Iron Oxide planet a vibrant water planet paradise- that makes sense, you wouldn't want such a place named after a god of war. But who the Hell renames Earth "Man-home"? There was not a single moment in the series in which Man-home was mentioned that I did not consciously think of what a ridiculously dumb creative decision that was. I think part of that had to do with a Japanese speaker not realizing how stupid it sounds.

Yes, I know, don't worry. "It's just a show - I should really just relax," the science of this show is utterly unimportant, and that is why I've never brought it up before- but it feels good to say it out loud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
dirkusbirkus wrote:

You are ignoring the fact that the world of R.O.D. is, emphatically, not our world. The British Library has nothing in common with the institution of the same name in our world, except the name.

There's even an acceptable in-story explanation for how this alternate world came about.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
Hey man, when I needed a copy of Fly Fishing by J.R. Hartley, they were there for me. Underestimate the British Library at your peril.

Lucky you. In my case I just had my rucksack searched, before being turned away due to lack of sufficient identification. Fortunately for me, a tiny academic library several miles away kept a copy of the book I needed.

nightjuan wrote:
For instance...the first time I saw the Area 88 OVA, Shin's last decision seemed like a perfect candidate for this topic. spoiler[Instead of choosing to go back to his beloved, Shin realized that he had changed and chose to return to Area 88 itself where a possible death is all that awaits him. My first reaction was "this guy is stupid, he should just seek professional help instead of throwing away his only chance at happiness" but, after thinking things through...there is a certain dramatic progression at work here, which makes that a valid choice if not one I'd agree with on a personal or intellectual level.] In other words, a lapse in logic doesn't automatically mean senseless.

Quite. A character making an unjustifiable decision despite the existence of a more preferable alternative can be of great gravitas on certain occasions. We find ourselves mourning the loss of the character in effect — their inexcusable action signifies the sad fact that the character we initially supported has become unrecognisable. In the case of Area 88 this is especially tragic: spoiler[Shin has transformed into the very sort of person he disliked greatly.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I really love Kekkaishi, I think It is one of the best shounen action shows I have seen. However one teensy little logic lapse bothers me....

If you have a piece of land that makes youkai many times more powerful and thus results in every evil youkai wanting to get access to this piece of land, If it has been your family's responsibility to defend this land for generations and you have powerful secret organizations with vast resources and an army of super powers to help. You know you might want to consider NOT LETTING THE GOVERNMENT BUILD A PUBLIC SCHOOL OVER IT!!! Just a thought.
Zork

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Lapses in logic don't really upset or bother me very much. I grew up watching the Coyote fall 500 feet off a cliff and survive while the Roadrunner stayed suspended in mid-air, so I guess I became immune to such things.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
... so I guess I became immune to such things.

But it isn't the same thing. The whole point of Wile E. Coyote is how illogical he is. Has there ever been a kid anywhere who didn't say "if he can order all that stuff to be delivered to the desert couldn't he just order take-out just as easily instead of starve?"

The anime can make up any rules that they want. However unless their whole point is to be goofy (think Excel Saga and spin-offs) they should stick to those rules or the story falls apart or, at least, has a problem. That is what we are discussing here.

You might note that these problems are often not fatal to a good anime and I would agree with that.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Lapses in logic don't really upset or bother me very much. I grew up watching the Coyote fall 500 feet off a cliff and survive while the Roadrunner stayed suspended in mid-air, so I guess I became immune to such things.

It's fine in silly slapstick stuff, but when a story is wanting to be taken seriously, the makers need to make sure to have things make sense. Suspension of belief is always necessary, but this thread is about those particular logic-fails that stand out the most.
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The whole point of Wile E. Coyote is how illogical he is. Has there ever been a kid anywhere who didn't say "if he can order all that stuff to be delivered to the desert couldn't he just order take-out just as easily instead of starve?"

Well all he ever had was an account with Acme, and the only type of food that they have is birdseed made specifically for traps.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Regarding Eva:

1. Like the Masons, NERV is a organisation with secrets, not a secret organisation as such.

2. Misato isn't the sort of person to worry much about keeping the house clean.

3. Good point - "You are our only hope. Now go live in squalor and psychological torment, and remember to show up after school to pilot your mecha, without training."

4. Having buildings below ground protects them from attack. Raised is the default position because... they are solar powered? The citizens refuse to live underground? Not sure on this one.

The thing that bugs me more and more is male protagonists who are super strong and super trained, but can be felled with one blow by an angry school girl. This is a hazard of the way anime tropes are mixed and matched without regard for any sort of logic, and you see it EVERYWHERE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6