• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media: Shonen Jump Alpha to Move to Simultaneous Model 'Very Soon'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
I agree that would be awesome, but I think there are a few reasons that isn't the case. One is the difference between American and Japanese ideas on what's ok for kids. SJA is trying to market to people besides the major anime and manga nerds. I think they'd have a hard time putting in series like beelzebub, Assasin's classroom, and Gintama without pissing somebody off a lot unfortunately. Not to mention series like those can be notoriously hard to pretty much impossible to translate without losing the meaning entirely. Fans like me might be willing to just read translator notes and such, but most people would probably be turned off by it.

Not to mention that a lot of series get cancelled so they have to be careful
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Is Shounen Jump Alpha just a small subset of the Weekly Jump mag, or is it a selection across Shueisha publications? Like, say, anything from Jump Square (any chance of TLR-D?)

Also, do they censor? I'm interested now, but I'm definitely worried about that.

Blue Exorcist is running in SJA and it's from Jump Square, so I assume they can get any Shueisha title.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
But people constantly pirate manga, which throws a wrench into the whole supply and demand thing. Because of the nature of the piracy and the fact that Viz needs permission from japanese publishers to get anything done, Viz literally can't give us translations as fast and cost free as scanlators do. Aside from being official, creating jobs, and helping support the mangaka, the only thing Viz really has to offer over scanlators is the quality of the images and translations, but even this is offset by higher quality translations being released before the manga is even available in Japan

I suppose, but maybe they should try focusing on a different market that scanlators can't readily provide for, like those people who do want to physically own books. It might be a more niche consumer base, but it's one without fear of competition from pirates.

configspace wrote:
Also, do they censor? I'm interested now, but I'm definitely worried about that.

Yeah, they censor some of their manga.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
agila61 wrote:
But people constantly pirate manga, which throws a wrench into the whole supply and demand thing. Because of the nature of the piracy and the fact that Viz needs permission from japanese publishers to get anything done, Viz literally can't give us translations as fast and cost free as scanlators do. Aside from being official, creating jobs, and helping support the mangaka, the only thing Viz really has to offer over scanlators is the quality of the images and translations, but even this is offset by higher quality translations being released before the manga is even available in Japan

I suppose, but maybe they should try focusing on a different market that scanlators can't readily provide for, like those people who do want to physically own books. It might be a more niche consumer base, but it's one without fear of competition from pirates.

configspace wrote:

Alpha itself doesn't censor anything though. Though that would be obvious given the amount of time it would take to do that
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
This ought to be a huge deal. The instant gratification issue was by far the big challenge facing manga publishing. Viz has addressed that at a rock-bottom price (again: 54 cents an issue) and has been adding titles all year long on top of that. It's magnificent progress and, I hope, a sign of the good business SJ Alpha has been so far.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
This ought to be a huge deal. The instant gratification issue was by far the big challenge facing manga publishing. Viz has addressed that at a rock-bottom price (again: 54 cents an issue) and has been adding titles all year long on top of that. It's magnificent progress and, I hope, a sign of the good business SJ Alpha has been so far.

Well sadly this doesn't completely solve the instant gratification issue since the scans are a week ahead of the actual release of the magazine in Japan. Hopefully this does get some people more interested though. 5 days behind the scans isn't as bad as 3 weeks after all.

I also kind of wish Viz would be willing to put up titles like Medaka Box, but I understand it wouldn't be as simple as just getting the latest chapters since they'd have to go back and translate all the earlier stuff since it's technically got legally available in english. Maybe someday though.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
NB:
agila61 wrote:
That sounds like demand and demand mechanics. There's no recognition of cost and other supply constraints in evidence there.

Citation corrected:
TitanXL wrote:
Aaronrules380 wrote:

They do, but the manga consumers who actually want to physically own the books turn out to be only a fraction of the people who were buying their manga during the manga boom. Lots of people were just buying the books to get the manga, and they were far easier to woo away with bootlegs.

The SJ alpha titles are not my cup of tea, and even if they were, I prefer reading digital manga on a netbook or my Nook Color ~ I don't like reading manga on a big laptop, which is what the Viz online reader works well for. So as far as digital manga subscriptions, it remains Gen and JManga7 for me.

However, it often seems that people find fault with SJ alpha just to justify using bootlegs (which, as I view it, trample on the rights of the mangaka).

That strikes me as a silly thing to do. Either someone reckons its OK to use bootlegs, so no justification is necessary, or someone views it as trampling on the manga-ka's rights, for which no nitpicking with Viz's SJalpha would suffice as justification.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:

you would think,unfortunately we didn't even make it a page without someone ruining it. im already subscribed to them and thrilled that they have done this.

i can go up and down about why they cant do this and that,but it wont do any good. the ones who were complaining were probably not going to buy anything anyways
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
configspace wrote:

Alpha itself doesn't censor anything though. Though that would be obvious given the amount of time it would take to do that

I see. Then I presume Viz is probably carefully choosing titles for SJ Alpha that won't require censoring
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think this would happen for a while yet, either. Good to hear.

I do want to see some other titles up before I consider subscribing, though. Until then, I'm content with reading the new volumes whenever my library purchases them and being whatever amount of months/years behind. Viz is still getting my money anyway with Cross Game and their shojo manga.

Divineking wrote:

Well sadly this doesn't completely solve the instant gratification issue since the scans are a week ahead of the actual release of the magazine in Japan.

How the hell does this even happen? Confused You would think Shueisha would clamp down on stuff like that.

Unless there's just THAT many people somehow leaking the content out.

Seems like "time lag" will always be an excuse, then. It kinda dampers this announcement a little bit for me.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Of course, it took one publisher HOW LONG to do near simultaneous releases?

A little too late?
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
It's a good thing and I hope it works for them, but there is still one major problem: Scanlations of many jump series, especially the big ones Alpha shows, are released and read almost a week earlier than they actually come out in Japan. And I highly doubt shueisha will be ok with viz releasing the chapters before they become available in Japan

I'm pretty sure the scanlations are released AFTER the chapters are out in Japan. How else would they even get scanlations without
a physical copy?

In any case I think it goes without saying that Viz has got permission from Sheuisha to do the simulcast.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
How are they gonna translate a chapter EVERY WEEK?

configspace wrote:
I see. Then I presume Viz is probably carefully choosing titles for SJ Alpha that won't require censoring

Viz has been censoring Naruto for years. Airbrushing blood, adding towels/steam to cover up nekkid body parts, obscuring panels (Konohamaru's Sexy Boy on Boy Jutsu), editing Naruto flipping the bird, and editing a pivotal scene in 36 because of underage smoking, etc, etc. Strangely, the scene in volume 36 that got edited is UNedited in the databook release.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Viz has been censoring Naruto for years. Airbrushing blood, adding towels/steam to cover up nekkid body parts, obscuring panels (Konohamaru's Sexy Boy on Boy Jutsu), editing Naruto flipping the bird, and editing a pivotal scene in 36 because of underage smoking, etc, etc. Strangely, the scene in volume 36 that got edited is UNedited in the databook release.

I suppose that means the Rock Lee spin-off manga is never going to be released here then. Rock Lee spin-off amps all that up to eleven with tons of gay jokes, cross dressing, sex/nudity/fanservice, and overall zany wacky stuff (Naked Lee x Guy yaoi jutsu, Neji wanting to bang his cousin, Tenten using her breasts for her ninja tool jutsu)
Vanstorm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the scanlations are released AFTER the chapters are out in Japan. How else would they even get scanlations without
a physical copy?

In any case I think it goes without saying that Viz has got permission from Sheuisha to do the simulcast.

You would think that, but unfortunately your wrong. What happens is that the people who subscribe to Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan get the magazine really early, usually about 5 days before its official release when it becomes available in bookshops, newsagents and convenient stores. It's always officially released on a Monday, so the scanlations are usually up on the Wednesday before that (5 days).

Now here's the problem, I'm from Australia, so we are only an hour ahead of Japan, so scanlations are usually available on a Wednesday night (recently they have been available earlier). This usually translates into late Tuesday night/very early Wednesday morning for Americans, one of only two countries where SJA is available. Also, Viz has to release SJA 2 weeks after Japan, American time, which means that its released on a Monday in America which is actually a Tuesday in Japan. Therefore, it is actually usually almost a 6 day gap for Americans, I believe.

This is where all the ungrateful complaining from Americans/Canadians comes from. Now I would immediately subscribe to SJA if I could and support Viz if I could (even though I would still probably read scanlations), but unfortunately I can't. Then all I hear is this whining from Americans too stingy to pay a measly $26 a year to support the series they supposedly love and a company doing everything they can to get manga to them as quickly as possible. They even get a free yearbook with tons of cool stuff. I think SJA is an amazing deal, I don't know what all the complaining is about. Even 99 cents per single issue is a good deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3