• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Neon Alley to Run on PlayStation 3 Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
There's a military adage to the effect of, "You must be seen to do something in this situation, if it happens to be the right thing ... then so much the better."

I believe we are seeing VIZ do this "something" in the digital market because they feel they must.

However, based on what I'm reading about Neon Alley right now it seems to me that their heart isn't in it.

Mark Gosdin
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
So one console which is a notable third in total sales? With no multi-console approach, PC approach, or even iOS app?

Oh this is so going to blow up in their faces and I have zero sympathy.

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that. So WHAT if it's Blu-Ray HD quality or whatever. This is gonna be a disaster of epic proportions! Of course, we COULD be wrong...

All the material in the world with the best quality doesn't mean squat if no one is watching. Ask Fuel TV.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It would likely be "overall more expensive" because their actually scheduling a 24 hour network.

This is what I meant. I didn't quite mean to simply say the subscription is more expensive, but the overall approach to this is more so expensive.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
While I wouldn't say it's necessairly unfair to compare it to services like Crunchyroll, I think it would make more sense to compare it to the likes of the Funimation Channel considering this is something purely and entirely for dub fans. It's not like their getting rid of their simulcasts to fuel this thing.

As for me I'm willing to give this a shot since I have some level of interest in the stuff their showing there, but I get why people are skeptical. I do hope no one is seriously wishing death on this thing though(even though I personally only expect it to be a minor success if it happens to find any at all) since this is at the very least spurring Viz to actually do something with/release these shows(and in a decent time frame which is the real shocker), which is frankly something I almost thought would never happen.
jree78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Going to buy a Playstation 3 soon so this is perfect. Very Happy

Last edited by jree78 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
So one console which is a notable third in total sales? With no multi-console approach, PC approach, or even iOS app?

Oh this is so going to blow up in their faces and I have zero sympathy.

Their original press release stated consoles. PS3 probably has the biggest amount of animu-fan owners anyways.

Not only that, but the PS3 is the "exclusive launch partner". That is, the PS3 gets first crack at it. It's a new service, so it is natural for Viz to start off via one venue and get the hang of things before branching off to others. Keep in mind, too, that this type of service--basically, a streaming premium channel--is new territory for Viz and lightly-treaded ground for digital distribution as a whole. PS3 has a good amount of anime fans attached to it and Sony has a strong interest and stake in the industry, so the deal is a rather good and natural one. $6.99 for dubbed, uncut material in HD and premiere of new, exclusive content in the shell of a quasi-TV channel doesn't sound too bad (though hopefully there will be more shows beyond those announced…)

It has game-changing potential, but for something of Neon Alley's nature, they're taking baby steps, and rightfully so, so people should cut them some slack and give it time. Plus, Viz may not have the funds to go multiplatform, just yet (a computer option would seem like a given, but I believe they see NA as an actual channel and a TV-attached, Internet-ready device like PS3 as a viable workaround to dealing with cable/satellite providers in getting it on one's screen).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
sorry but if I have to pay a subscription fee, I want no commercials, like all the other sites
Mr Big200

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
sorry but if I have to pay a subscription fee, I want no commercials, like all the other sites

all the other sites... but Hulu you mean cause they show ads even if you do pay for it
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It would likely be "overall more expensive" because their actually scheduling a 24 hour network.

This is what I meant. I didn't quite mean to simply say the subscription is more expensive, but the overall approach to this is more so expensive.

Considering that in a given time period a service like CR might be streaming hundreds or even thousands of different episodes, whereas Neon Alley would only being streaming a single one, there is savings to be had, as well, since their CDN will only need to cache at single stream at each location.

mudduck454 wrote:

I think you are forgetting about Hulu Plus. Smile

I'm not a fan of subscription + ads either, but what bothers me more is the linear channel aspect, since it is actually worse on a game console than as a cable/sat channel. At least with the latter, you have the option of using a DVR.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
You know, if the commercials are between episodes, it won't be nearly as annoying since it's a linear channel. It gives you a chance to go to the washroom, grab some food something like that.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
rapjul wrote:
I think it is stupid to not release it for computer first. Some people, like me, do not have a video game console (PS3, Wii or Xbox) and not everybody who does has a PS3, but nearly 100% of people have a computer.

What you're forgetting is that the computer is by far the hardest platform to program an app for. Both hardware and software are highly variable, and they have to account for as many as they can and then work on making piles of patches for all the configurations that they didn't test. Consoles on the other hand are standardized. If the app works on one PS3, it will work on all of them.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
rapjul wrote:
I think it is stupid to not release it for computer first. Some people, like me, do not have a video game console (PS3, Wii or Xbox) and not everybody who does has a PS3, but nearly 100% of people have a computer.

What you're forgetting is that the computer is by far the hardest platform to program an app for. Both hardware and software are highly variable, and they have to account for as many as they can and then work on making piles of patches for all the configurations that they didn't test. Consoles on the other hand are standardized. If the app works on one PS3, it will work on all of them.

Just make a website that has a live streaming video player behind a pay wall?
captokita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
My main issue with this is that it's DUB ONLY - I know Viz for the most part does a decent job in their dubs, but not every fan is a dub fan. I personally prefer subs in most cases, and if I'm going to "pay" for content, then I would want that choice.

Ads? Really? For a PAID service? If it's run like HULU it should be avoided like the plague! Video about to start? AD, run opening, AD, ANOTHER AD, get into the show, (MAYBE halfway point) 2 ADs, get to ending before the ending credits, AD. I won't use Hulu for that fact alone. It wasn't ALWAYS that bad, but the last time I tried to watch something from them it was. Bulldonkey.

If this is truly a channel-like experience, similar to watching cable, instead of an on-demand model, it might make it that much harder to work. Hey cool! The new Blue Exorcist is on! Oh wait, it's on @ 2AM, and I have to work in the morning, and well, since it's running on my PS3, I can't record it for later viewing.... huuuuh?

The promo video on their site sure LOOKS good - but I don't see myself paying $7/mo for this. I'll give the trial a go, but not beyond that. Oh, and this little bit at the bottom of their page: "We're bringing back kung fu classics & anime inspired live-action movies with our partner Taiseng" doesn't sound too good either.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
captokita wrote:
My main issue with this is that it's DUB ONLY - I know Viz for the most part does a decent job in their dubs, but not every fan is a dub fan. I personally prefer subs in most cases, and if I'm going to "pay" for content, then I would want that choice.

But there are TONS of other legal sites you can go to for your subbed anime series.
captokita

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
But there are TONS of other legal sites you can go to for your subbed anime series.

Sure there are, but as an anime-holic, I want my content to be together as much as possible.

This model just doesn't make sense to me, as a CONSUMER. A schedule-based "channel" doesn't work as well as an on-demand channel. Were it on-demand, you could have your dub/sub choice, as well as the entire Viz library at your fingertips. Maybe I'll LOVE the Blue Exorcist dub! But what if I think it's the worst thing since Kermit Tenchi? I'm not going to watch that, and if I'm PAYING for it, I would want to enjoy it.

Surely a selling point is FIRST access to the latest dubs of shows like Inu Yasha, etc. especially if Toonami picks them up (watch it UNCUT here!) but you're seriously limiting your audience with this sort of model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3