• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Waiting in the Summer Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Archer_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

spoiler[Kaito would've never ended up with Kanna. No matter how hard you think they "hinted" at it, which they didn't.]

I fail to see how what you just said disproves my argument, and leads me to question whether or not you actually know what "flag" and "route" logic is, though I am perhaps at fault too for not being clear enough.

In dating sims, a flag shows up at any point in the story where you have the chance to improve/keep the same/lower the affection a certain character has with another (though this is generally the character of the player/protagonist). If you improve a relationship, that means you got the flag, otherwise you missed it. If you miss enough flags, then you lock yourself out of a route, but you can also lock yourself out of a route if you collect enough flags for another character. spoiler[Kanna's "date" scene is the perfect example of such logic (which is why I picked it, I'm not a Kanna shipper for the record) as Kaito clearly has the chance to hit some flags with Kanna (as does Kanna with Kaito) but they clearly miss them. And the idea of a character hanging out with a girl/boy who likes him/her, but he/she doesn't like her/him, is still a common theme found in harem series none the less. To use a popular example, this is a very common theme in Rosario Vampire(more so really in the manga than the anime), and to use a more recent example, anime#12339 has a scene in episode 11 just like Kanna's date scene.]

spoiler[ As for my other example, the viewer still spends the majority of the series speculating that Ichika will leave in the end, showing that the possibility of ANY girl winning at the end could still be open. And this idea turned out to be the case in] spoiler for another anime spoiler[Ano Hana: The Flower we saw that day] where we saw that spoiler[Menma was the clear love interest for Jinta, but when she left they started to hint that Jinta finally developed feelings for Anaru in the end after clearly showing beforehand that he loved Menma and wanted to be with her while showing that he had no interest in Anaru.]

In truth, given how "flags" and "routes" work, it is technically impossible to make a love story without them, since flags are merely choices that work for better/neutral/worse to improve a relationship, and a route can be defined as the path one takes to get a good/bad romantic end with any romantic interest.
drale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
So, someone brought up to me that the spoiler[voice of the lights near the ends was the same voice actress as Onegai Teacher and was paying homage to that series. Can anyone confirm?]
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
drale wrote:
So, someone brought up to me that the spoiler[voice of the lights near the ends was the same voice actress as Onegai Teacher and was paying homage to that series. Can anyone confirm?]

spoiler[She is the same woman that voices Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess and it certainly sounds like her. I don't know for sure, but it is listed on ANN now as well...]
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Although Kaito and Ichika's relationship was rather unbelievable, they did suffer in the end so it's ok I guess....

JustinGallimore wrote:
For a anime like this, it needs a ova at least and I would not mind if there was a movie where the group gets in contact with nasa so they can go to space and see her some how.

The two of you have painted a rather dismal picture of the ending. "They did suffer in the end", and "so they can go to space and see her somehow" suggest an unhappy separation.

I'm not looking for detailed spoilers here, but what I infer from your comments is that things are left unresolved in the sense of that separation. It's the "unresolved" that I don't like the looks of, not the implied separation per se. Does the ending really leave something hanging like that, a lack of closure that causes suffering?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
Does the ending really leave something hanging like that, a lack of closure that causes suffering?

No.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Basically, during the final episode it looks like it will end unhappily but there is a clever coda that does provide proof of a happy ending. We don't actually get to see the happy ending (just the proof that it occurred), but at least the characters do get one.

Hope I didn't spoil anything, tried to be as vague as possible while answering your question.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Basically, during the final episode it looks like it will end unhappily but there is a clever coda that does provide proof of a happy ending. We don't actually get to see the happy ending (just the proof that it occurred), but at least the characters do get one.

Hope I didn't spoil anything, tried to be as vague as possible while answering your question.

No, that's cool, thanks. You know me well enough by now to be able to slip in the relevant info without wrecking the details.

I'm going to hazard the guess that Waiting in the Summer ends a little like Tayutama ("Kiss My Deity") does - you don't really get focused details, but you see enough clues to figure out what will (someday) happen.

Unfortunately the writers of Tayutama engaged in a load of sloppy baiting-and-switching prior to the "coda", so much so that the overall ending was rendered as inane. I doubt that Waiting in the Summer could be that bad, because there would have been some pretty angry posts in this thread.

Waiting in the Summer is a freebie on ANO at the moment. I think I'll give it a try....

Thanks again,
Alan Mintaka
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Hope you enjoy it! I did. The proof of the real ending is in the end credits, and it doesn't take much thought to figure it out. If you have trouble with that, message me and I will point out the details for you. We can hope an OVA will give us the ending more fleshed out, but in the meantime the one we have put a big smile on my face, they were definitely setting it up.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
It's been ages since I've loved an anime series, call it coincidence I guess but one of the very first manga I read was the adaptation of Onegai Teacher and fell in love with the series, many years later I stumble upon Waiting in the Summer, man what a ride! As always the ending leaves you craving for just a tiny bit more, the color palette was excellent, the camera shots were great, the characters were really well made and though not a tear-jerker like I first imagined, it still tug at my heart strings Smile !!

Is there any chance for an OVA though? I heard the two series (OT/WitS) are loosely tied together, how so? 'cause of the final portion? I know how eerily similar the plot was but I didn't find the two were connected that deeply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2