• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This series had a really sweet ending. I don't think I'd do anything different. It was basically perfect.

........well confirmation that Zorome and Miku are together would be good but they probably are?

Though it is kinda sad that Ikuno seems to spoiler[already be bedridden and dying.]

Horray for Goro. Smile He got what he wanted! Kokoro and Mitsuru are buiding a family! Their spoiler[daughter Ai] was really cute.

Zero Two and Hiro give a whole new meaning to the trope "Red Oni Blue Oni". Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

I am taking the shots of Ikuno and Naomi together, to mean they were totally a couple, along with Zorome and Miku. I know that I am totally happy with this as an ending, but I would not be without an OVA that could be an expanded life of the guys back home, to show off their kids and stuff. But it was a lovely ending, sadly Hiro and Zero Two died, but I was not really surprised, and the whole soul thing was really nice, with the two reincarnated at the end, meeting as kids. Oh, and the Hiro and Zero Two thing at the beginning of the episode called out as a wedding and their journey was a honeymoon.

Random bit of connecting to Norse mythology, which might sound random if you did not see it before now, but all the mentions of mistletoe and Hringhorni. Was thinking that Hachi was totally Odin at the end, having lost an eye, and probably inherited from the previous one eyed male character, Dr Franxx. The events were pretty much Ragnarok, which one may simply think of as a buzzword of the apocalypse, but the interesting thing with its place in Norse mythology was that it was an important part of a wheel of events in that mythology, where the world would end before being born again, making the whole thing like seasons. With the show completed, I would be interested for an entire analysis of who may fit what roles.

I know that there are probably lots of people in the hate-fest of the episode review thread, that they got it in their heads to hate it, and nothing change, probably saying that it does not make sense, but I left that poisonous environment a while back. James was just so negative, that I swear he was looking to feel offended. The shot I was totally waiting for in the show, I actually got, and it was a red and blue Hiro and Zero Two, with prominent horns. I want to be positive, because I really liked this series, I think that there was a misunderstanding that the show as mostly about a battle of humanity with drama stuff as a sideshow, but the show was really about the human bonds, with robots as delivery device. It feels a little sad to see this all end. Hiro, Zero Two, Ichigo, Goro, Mitsuru, Kokoro, Zorome, Miku, Futoshi and Ikuno, I cared for those characters.

Oh, but I still have questions, like who gave Zero Two the book, so again I also want a last bit to go back on. This does feel like a series that I want some merchandise of. Am putting it next to series that I think that I will look fondly back on with Kill la Kill, they totally had the Gainax pose too. Really my writing here is coming off as fragmented, which feels to be kind of like there is too much for me to sum up in a single post, and express my thoughts in a coherent manner. I could probably spend hours trying to put all my thoughts out, because this series really did feel dense with its various elements, reading and looking at fan stuff is probably going to be a continuous thing with Franxx. Nearly on the Red will also be interesting to see his final looks at it too, as Th8ta has been pretty good at analysis.

In summary, I am going to give an Excellent (9/10) rating, I kind of don't want to give it a number because it feels like it betrays how I feel for the series. I do acknowledge some of its faults, like the sudden aliens thing without much proper foreshadowing, and so many people could misinterpret the show that I thought it so negatively. Granted, there are some similar shows that I have not given full marks to, but I still hold in a pretty much similar high degree to, liking it the more I thought about it after it finished, that also have had me consider if I should raise it. But in general, I had a really good time with Darling in the Franxx, and am really happy that there are series like this that really can hold my interest entirely, and for double length, after I have been feeling a little strained with some lately.

This show will be a darling to me.
dharlow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 24 (finale)

I am taking the shots of Ikuno and Naomi together, to mean they were totally a couple, along with Zorome and Miku. I know that I am totally happy with this as an ending, but I would not be without an OVA that could be an expanded life of the guys back home, to show off their kids and stuff. But it was a lovely ending, sadly Hiro and Zero Two died, but I was not really surprised, and the whole soul thing was really nice, with the two reincarnated at the end, meeting as kids. Oh, and the Hiro and Zero Two thing at the beginning of the episode called out as a wedding and their journey was a honeymoon.

Random bit of connecting to Norse mythology, which might sound random if you did not see it before now, but all the mentions of mistletoe and Hringhorni. Was thinking that Hachi was totally Odin at the end, having lost an eye, and probably inherited from the previous one eyed male character, Dr Franxx. The events were pretty much Ragnarok, which one may simply think of as a buzzword of the apocalypse, but the interesting thing with its place in Norse mythology was that it was an important part of a wheel of events in that mythology, where the world would end before being born again, making the whole thing like seasons. With the show completed, I would be interested for an entire analysis of who may fit what roles.

I know that there are probably lots of people in the hate-fest of the episode review thread, that they got it in their heads to hate it, and nothing change, probably saying that it does not make sense, but I left that poisonous environment a while back. James was just so negative, that I swear he was looking to feel offended. The shot I was totally waiting for in the show, I actually got, and it was a red and blue Hiro and Zero Two, with prominent horns. I want to be positive, because I really liked this series, I think that there was a misunderstanding that the show as mostly about a battle of humanity with drama stuff as a sideshow, but the show was really about the human bonds, with robots as delivery device. It feels a little sad to see this all end. Hiro, Zero Two, Ichigo, Goro, Mitsuru, Kokoro, Zorome, Miku, Futoshi and Ikuno, I cared for those characters.

Oh, but I still have questions, like who gave Zero Two the book, so again I also want a last bit to go back on. This does feel like a series that I want some merchandise of. Am putting it next to series that I think that I will look fondly back on with Kill la Kill, they totally had the Gainax pose too. Really my writing here is coming off as fragmented, which feels to be kind of like there is too much for me to sum up in a single post, and express my thoughts in a coherent manner. I could probably spend hours trying to put all my thoughts out, because this series really did feel dense with its various elements, reading and looking at fan stuff is probably going to be a continuous thing with Franxx. Nearly on the Red will also be interesting to see his final looks at it too, as Th8ta has been pretty good at analysis.

In summary, I am going to give an Excellent (9/10) rating, I kind of don't want to give it a number because it feels like it betrays how I feel for the series. I do acknowledge some of its faults, like the sudden aliens thing without much proper foreshadowing, and so many people could misinterpret the show that I thought it so negatively. Granted, there are some similar shows that I have not given full marks to, but I still hold in a pretty much similar high degree to, liking it the more I thought about it after it finished, that also have had me consider if I should raise it. But in general, I had a really good time with Darling in the Franxx, and am really happy that there are series like this that really can hold my interest entirely, and for double length, after I have been feeling a little strained with some lately.

This show will be a darling to me.

All in for each word. I will admit to tearing up at the end. It was bittersweet, but perfectly fitting.
Lulcielid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd give the show a 10/10, the character drama is what engaged me the most the series has been delivering in that front for most of its run and culminating in a satisfying finale, tears were dropped.

Thatt said, it would be somewhere on the lower half of my 10s, there are a few episodes that are not as engaging as some of the best (in particular Goro and Zorome's centric episodes) and a few of them have some divisive choices (Ichigo leaving Hiro to reunite with 002 way to fast in episode 15 and VIRM introduction in episode 20) which holds it back from joining the upper half of my 10s.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
For the most part, I thought the series worked much better when the kids merely interacted with each other, off the battlefield.

When they were fighting klaxosaurs and VIRM, I felt less engaged in what was going on (save for a couple scenes)

Or perhaps that's just.........me?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10