• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Should ANN Review its own Simulcasts?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
... my personal take is that we should at least cover these shows in the preview guide, with a disclaimer that the shows are streaming on ANN courtesy of Aniplex USA. ...

A "split the difference" policy would be to include the shows in the preview guide with a disclaimer, but omit them from Shelf Life, and rather than posting a full review, post a collection of links to reviews elsewhere online.

Shelf Life is where the prospect for both actual and appearance of conflict of interest is the greatest, since it has an explicit "streamworthy/flushable" for all streams, and the bar is explicitly placed higher for streams than for DVD's, where something can be both shit as a stream and worthy of rental as a DVD.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Bingo. There should be an expectation from Aniplex ANN will review this series either during and/or after the simulcast. Before, of course, would be awkward to explain.

However, something to throw into the mix since Zac is doing major pondering:
If the issue is a conflict of interest, wouldn't this have already been violated as ANN posted it's own news of this simulcast?

By doing this, it just posted the same "conflict of interest" as though it had written a good review, meaning, it's drawing in an audience for the ad-supported revenue.

Sorry about that, but it just popped into my head just now.

You can argue this point all the way down the rabbit hole to where any news site that accepts advertisement dollars from Funimation (which is, uh, all of them that have enough readers to get ad buys) should ethically not ever cover any Funimation licensing announcements (hell, not to mention dub cast announcements, DVD promotions or release dates), because that could be seen as promotional.

Which is arguing for some weird version of purity that's impractical, would bankrupt every entertainment publication and website in the country in a matter of weeks if followed to the letter (goodbye, movie ad buys on movie sites! Goodbye, exclusive trailers and set visit reports on movie sites! So long, book ads on book review sites!) and assumes corruption where there is none.

We have a video streaming service, which launched years ago. Now we have some shows that are being simulcast. The show itself is basically incidental to the service, a'la Hulu or CR. The difference is that we're *much* smaller and the video service has kinda been bolted on to the side of our existing business, in the service of what this site's owner believes our readers want, which is their usual news, reviews and forum chatter, and now also a place where they can watch the shows themselves. That's kinda the long and short of it all here.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
Maybe the answer to this is to have say, 3 reviewers take a look at a series, maybe say, the first 5 episodes, and only simulcast shows that 2 out of the 3 of them like? Or would you like to be in the position of having your reviewers say "This is crap" while your ads say "Watch this show!" I know most publications don't do that, but they're not *selling* the product (as you are, even if you aren't charging for it). My point is that I think the bigger issue is what are *you* going to do if one of your reviewers gives a hosted show a bad review? Are you going to continue to host it? Obviously, not everyone agrees with everyone else, and some people might like a show, while another wouldn't. But it seems to me that, by hosting a show, ANN would be, in a way, endorsing it. If you host a program that isn't good, this could damage your brand, which seems to me would do way more harm than whatever "conflict of interest" might come about because you're reviewing your hosted videos.

Think about what you're saying... you want the production company to send ANN 5 completed episodes in advance of the first broadcast?

Chris said they weren't even given an opportunity to watch the first episode of Oreimo before they committed, so this is flat-out impossible.

Then how do they know if it's good? If that's the case, then it seems that these are little more than ads.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Simple idea: allow members of this site devoid of any financial relationship or incentive perks to ANN to review said episodes.
Banden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Or would you like to be in the position of having your reviewers say "This is crap" while your ads say "Watch this show!" I know most publications don't do that, but they're not *selling* the product (as you are, even if you aren't charging for it). My point is that I think the bigger issue is what are *you* going to do if one of your reviewers gives a hosted show a bad review? Are you going to continue to host it?

Setting aside the bits about complicated multi-part reviews, the more I think about Sandstar's comments above the more I feel like he maybe onto something really crucial here. I'd love to hear some staff feedback on this point, if Tempest or Zac would be kind enough to oblige:

Just what do you intend to do the day one of your writers submits a review for OreImo or another ANN streaming property looking like one of the reviews linked below? Will you really have the nerve to post it unfiltered in all its glory, when you are fully aware that the subject matter is profit-making investment for ANN?

animenewsnetwork.com/review/mao-chan/dvd-1
animenewsnetwork.com/review/ragnarok-the-animation/dvd-1

I'm sitting here at my computer trying to read your collective minds and predict what your response to the question might be. The one possibility that comes to mind is: "ANN would never simulcast something like that." But I sincerely hope I am mistaken there, as that would seem to flaunt the whole concept of editorial independence? If your simulcast properties are being vetted for content to ensure they garner the review staff's approval, isn't that as bad or worse than instructing your writers to write positive reviews as marketing vehicles?

So what would management do in that situation?
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Then how do they know if it's good? If that's the case, then it seems that these are little more than ads.

What's little more than ads? The potential reviews? They're going to watch the show before they review it. They just can't watch the show before they decide to air it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:

I'm sitting here at my computer trying to read your collective minds and predict what your response to the question might be. The one possibility that comes to mind is: "ANN would never simulcast something like that." But I sincerely hope I am mistaken there, as that would seem to flaunt the whole concept of editorial independence? If your simulcast properties are being vetted for content to ensure they garner the review staff's approval, isn't that as bad or worse than instructing your writers to write positive reviews as marketing vehicles?

I do not censor nor change my critics' opinions. If they hated it, they hated it, and I publish the review where they hated it. End of story. I've never done anything different than that.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
Just what do you intend to do the day one of your writers submits a review for OreImo or another ANN streaming property looking like one of the reviews linked below? Will you really have the nerve to post it unfiltered in all its glory, when you are fully aware that the subject matter is profit-making investment for ANN?

animenewsnetwork.com/review/mao-chan/dvd-1
animenewsnetwork.com/review/ragnarok-the-animation/dvd-1

Mao-chan reviewer wrote:
A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, at least has endearing characters and the occasional decent story. All Mao-chan has is pain.

That made me lol - and want to see it! But seriously, that review (didn't read the Ragnarok one) didn't really trample all over the show, it merely put forward the opinion that it was weirdly targeted at the wrong demographic. The review was pretty clear in praising it as something rugrats would lap up.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Banden wrote:

I do not censor nor change my critics' opinions. If they hated it, they hated it, and I publish the review where they hated it. End of story. I've never done anything different than that.

We're not saying you'd censor it, but would you continue to host a show your reviewers have said is crap?
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

What's little more than ads? The potential reviews? They're going to watch the show before they review it. They just can't watch the show before they decide to air it.

No, the shows themselves are little more than ads. If they host anything that they can get companies to agree to let them simulcast, and they continue to host shows that are bad, then the shows are little more than ads.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
No, the shows themselves are little more than ads. If they host anything that they can get companies to agree to let them simulcast, and they continue to host shows that are bad, then the shows are little more than ads.
Huh, what?

You seem to be trapped in the "there is an objective truth whether a show is good or bad" space ...

... when the "truth" is the subjective question of whether or not that show entertained that viewer.

If ANN is streaming a show that failed to entertain its reviewers, it is doing so for the fans of the shows who are entertained by it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

We're not saying you'd censor it, but would you continue to host a show your reviewers have said is crap?

Again - Neither I personally nor anyone on my editorial team have anything to do with the decision regarding what to stream or when or any of it. I don't work with that stuff.

Further, this is kind of a weird question; it's just a review. The purpose of the streaming player is to give people a place to watch anime on ANN, not provide some kind of judgment clearinghouse where you can only watch shows Theron Martin likes. That's ridiculous and completely overstates the purpose and power of a review, positive or negative.

Reviews these days are jumping-off points for discussion, an expression of someone's opinion that people can either agree with or argue with, not some monolithic judgment call that determines the ultimate worth of a piece of entertainment. They're part of the fan dialogue.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Sandstar wrote:

Did you read what he wrote about it? He was familiar with the light novels, and made the decision based on that (and presumably the promotional material that existed at the time).

I don't see what you're trying to get at anyway. It's not possible for anyone to watch a significant amount (or in most cases, any at all) of a series if they want to simulcast it. It's always going to be a bit of a crap shoot.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zac"]
Sandstar wrote:

Reviews these days are jumping-off points for discussion, an expression of someone's opinion that people can either agree with or argue with, not some monolithic judgment call that determines the ultimate worth of a piece of entertainment. They're part of the fan dialogue.

So, reviews are just supposed to be for "discussion?" Then why bother having "reviews" just have someone rant about a series, if all you want is "discussion"? I thought a review was supposed to tell you if something was worthwhile to watch, or at the very least, to describe a series well enough so that someone could figure out if they'd like it or not. Would you be perfectly fine with ANN hosting a series your own reviewer said was garbage?
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Where are you going with this, Sandstar? Do you trust the reviewers to be honest?

If yes, then vote yes. If not, then vote no.

They have said again and again that the decisions on what to stream and the decisions on what to review are not being made by the same parts of ANN and will not influence each other, so there's only so many ways they can say it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11