• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Mako. I couldn't help but smile. Smile

But seriously, what the hell is up with Meelo's head? He looks like an escapee from the Rugrats.
Newtman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they add in more lemurs (Momo was one of my favorite characters), I heard there will be some in the 2nd season.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
I just recently learned that Amon, the villain of the piece, will be played by Steve Blum. That's awesome and a change of pace; I've never heard him as an antagonist before. (I'm sure that he's played some, but I don't think I've heard any) The guy just as a way of sneaking into cool stuff.

I wonder how thoroughly they've thought some of the worldbuilding through. I know it might seem extraneous, but I love the details of creating fictional otherwheres, so I can't resist wondering. For one, I wonder how much detail they've applied to the political structure of the United Republic; I would suppose it was of secondary interest and unlikely to come through in the series. I'd at least like to know if it has anything like a formal constitution establishing its existence and structure or operates on an unwritten and statutory basis as the United Kingdom does. The other thing I've wondered about is how far they thought the plan of Republic City through. Is it a completely planned city, as the original city of Philadelphia or Washington were, is it a planned expansion on a more naturalistic core as is true of Manhattan, or is it a wholly naturalistic city like most European cities? (The awesomest thing would be if it followed the abandoned hexagonal plan proposed for Detroit)

Agent355 wrote:

Mike DeMartino and Bryan Konietzko reportedly told The Track Team to come up with a score "that sounds as if the Chinese had invented jazz". I think that says a lot about the worldbuilding they're going for! Smile (Without any disrespect to the original origins of jazz).

There's some interesting potential in that. Jazz, as I wrote before, is ultimately descended from African musical tradition imported along with slaves and fused with European traditions in the United States. Perhaps, even if it had to be rationalized post hoc, the 'Shanghai Bop' of The Legnend of Korra could be explained in-world as a being descended from traditional Earth Kingdom music fused with Fire Nation music that emerged in mixed communities in the colonies, much as Jazz owes so much of its flourishing to the creoles of color in New Orleans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I just recently learned that Amon, the villain of the piece, will be played by Steve Blum. That's awesome and a change of pace; I've never heard him as an antagonist before. (I'm sure that he's played some, but I don't think I've heard any) The guy just as a way of sneaking into cool stuff.

He did the voice of Ares I think in the God of War game as well as a few villians in the TV series Young Justice, particularly Count Vertigo, Vilgax in the original Ben 10 series and Starscream in Transformers Prime. On the anime perspective, he did Makoto Shishio in Rurouni Kenshin, Orochimaru and Zabuza in Naruto, and... I guess the Laughing man in the Ghost in the Shell TV series if that counts (mind you, I was roughly 13-14 years old when it premiered on Adult Swim and the stories in the show were usually too complex for my taste. So I didn't pay enough attention to what the laughing man's role in the story was)?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot that Steve Blum was Orochimaru! He does a really good, creepy job in that role. Saw on another board:

Quote:
I know who Amon is! Spike Spegal! Recognized his voice as soon as I heard him
LOL!

The origins of the Republic and Republic City are going to be explained in the comics (The Promise part 1 was very good; part 2 comes out in late May/early June). Knowing Mike&Bryan, they probably put a great deal of thought into the political machinations of the capital city, if not the whole country. The amount of thought they put into ProBending is mind boggling, and politics was the core of the Ba Sing Se plot in Season 2.

Interesting that you brought up New Orleans. The swamp that the Earth Kingdom waterbenders lived in was very Louisiana-esque, complete with a banyan tree. It occured to me after I watched LoK's pilot that the majority of the waterbenders in Republic City are from the Earth Kingdom swamps rather than the prosperous Water Tribes. So the mix of music from various Earth Kingdom cultures ("Secret Tunnel!"), Fire Nation colonials and Water Tribe immigrants make an Aisianic Jazz fusion. I can buy that! Very Happy
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
If my theory is right and Amon's power is to take the power of bending from others, this show is gonna be a lot like FMA: BH.

I knew it!!

Girl in trailer

Ozai being energybended
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
I really liked the idea of Swamp-based Waterbenders having a Louisiana feel to them as part of an explanation for the genesis of jazz music in the Legend of Korra. For a while I had been trying to figure out how this could possibly have come around. Naturally, the cultures that made up the original four nations don't necessarily seem predestined to develop that sort of music. Therefore, I was actually kind of stuck on the issue for some period of time. I know I probably spend too much time thinking about these things, but I've been very interested how time progressed towards what we end up seeing in Republic City.

Speaking of such, I was actually shocked that the automotive rivalry is based around the Ford/Oldsmobile rivalry as opposed to any Japanese or Chinese automaker. I was expecting the Satomobile to be something like a classic Datsun as opposed to essentially a Ford Model T. That being said, doesn't Hiroshi Sato look like Iwasaki Yataro, the founder of Mitsubishi?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's okay to discuss the content of this show again? That's great! Razz

Did you come up with that musical origin theory, Vashna? I like it! In general, though, the creators put more American style into this show than A:TLA. They said that Republic City could be an amalgam of Hong Kong or Shanghai, but it's influenced by New York (Avatar Island, for example, is quite like Liberty Island) and San Francisco (I actually love the streetcars!).

On a related note, I noticed a fan theory that Tahno has Swamp origins. It leads to some fun fanart!. (Either way, I hope we see him again, now that he's a woobie).

I didn't even think of Mitsubishi when I saw Hiroshi Sato's character design, since his story so reminded me of Henry Ford...I suspected him of possibly being an Equalist sympathizer (before episode 7 came out) just because Henry Ford was a Nazi sympathizer in real life. (Obviously, the only similarity would be "rooting with the bad guys, " not "Equalizer=Nazi".)

After a week off, I'm more excited than usual for this week's episode, "When Extremes Meet." I'm even more excited for next week's, "Out of the Past," because we might finally get background info to explain Korra's strange flashbacks as Aang!
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope it's okay to discuss the content of this show. If not, I genuinely don't mean to break the rules. I actually came up with that musical theory based around what you had said about the banyan trees before. Since those swamp benders had a Louisiana feel to them, I extrapolated that. I should actually be thanking you for the idea!

I'm certainly scared by that Tahno/Armstrong cross over you linked to =P

To be honest, I actually saw some shades of Singapore in Republic City. Singapore is essentially a city that is an independent republic, and it's a melting pot of several different cultures. There's a section of the island that Singapore is on which features a number of structures from the 1920s and 1930s. On the other hand, though, Singapore is famous for being safe and having a particularly swift justice system. They're also famous for Chung Yi translating some manga into English =P

As for Iwasaki Yataro-sensei, though, he died in 1885. Mitsubishi wasn't making automobiles yet, but I figured that he looked superficially like Hiroshi Sato. Sato definitely acts like Henry Ford.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The show being more American and less Asian was prolly a Nickelodeon mandate after the live-action movie controversy.

Agent355 wrote:
picture

Confused

I know it's a show for kids so only young people really care about it, but why is the fanart so bad. I know it's not anime so expecting Japanese level fanart is silly, but still. Also I wish DeviantArt people would stop with the 'insert anime trope into non anime show here thing' like that nosebleed. it looks so cheesy and fake and weeaboo.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
The show being more American and less Asian was prolly a Nickelodeon mandate after the live-action movie controversy.

I actually like the more American feel. It helps give LoK a different ambiance from the original. If it would have had the same feel as the original, it would be less unique. Besides, it allows the soundtrack to use more jazz and jazz makes for great background music. Cool

So far, LoK has been exactly what a good sequel should be. It has the same basic attributes that were good in the original, but it's not rehashing the same material with different characters. It builds on the prequel, but is still strong enough to stand and be great on its own. I'm actually enjoying LoK much more than the original, which is an outstanding achievement for a sequel.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited, There is actually a lot of beautiful, professional A:TLA and Korra fanart out there, I just chose a silly example to show someone's humorous take on the "Tahno is from the Swamp" theory. (As for attributing anime tropes to a show inspired by anime and Asian culture...I really don't see a problem with it. Especially when the anime the artist is referencing is inspired by European history and culture. Fullmetal Alchemist is basically an inverse of A:TLA in my mind. Most of its world is based on Western culture, religions, history, and science/alchemy. But this is exactly the type of discussion I want to avoid~We all acknowledge that A:TLA and Korra are not anime; discussing how it is or isn't like anime is beating a dead horse. I wanto to focus on content.)

According to all the extensive interviews I've read from the show's creators and creative team, Nick did not impose any creative requests. All the content was freely developed by the show's creative team. For example, Pro-Bending resembles Mixed Martial Arts because Bryan Konietzko is an MMA fan, not because Nick wanted a "cool" sports sub-plot to make the show more kid friendly. Korra is actually less kid-friendly than A:TLA, and has been a hit amongt high schoolers, rather than the grade-and-middle-schoolers A:TLA went after initially.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Is it still okay to talk about this show here?

The show took a turn for the dark in the 8th episode, "When Extremes Meet," when Korra spoiler[nearly killed Tarrlok and he stopped her by bloodbending her and taking her captive.]

In ep 9, "Out of the Past," we finally got a full view of the Yakone flashback, spoiler[with Middleaged!Aang, Sokka and Toph. Sokka mentioning how he took out "Combustion Man" with his boomerang, and Toph calling Aang "Twinkletoes" were highlights for me. Meanwhile, Tarrlok was captured and de-bended by an increasingly scary Amon, who managed to just power through Tarrlok's bloodbending, and Korra managed to break herself free, and with Naga's help, make her way back to Tenzin, Lin Beifong and her friends...]

Next episode, 10, "Turning the Tides," spoiler[Amon's Equalist forces take over Republic City. From the look of the finale promo, they have WWI-era planes and bombers. Everything's going at a break neck pace now.]

ETA: Spoiler tags. Whoops!

Last edited by Agent355 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Masakaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Masakaki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Lin Bei Fong is the coolest character in the show, great as Toph was my favourite in the first series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12