• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Not happy about the cast change for Roy.

Don't get me wrong, I love Shinichiro Miki. He's great as Uruhara in Bleach, Shinou in Kyo Kara Maoh! and other roles. But it's hard for me to imagine anyone other than Toru Okawa as Col. Mustang.

While I'm complaining here Wink ... I wish this new series had been a continuation of the old series, starting right after the end of the movie. I meanspoiler[they have to get back to Amestris, right? They can't stay stuck in our world.]

But I'll still watch the new series. It's still FMA, after all. Smile
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Vic Mignogna to overact the heck out of this role too, while prancing around at anime cons like a diva.

But the re-casting for Ed and Al is enough for me. Also I <3 Kikuko Inoue. That'll be hawt. But Megumi Takamoto as Winry? That's a huge step up from her other roles <.<

Last edited by LiuXuande on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Can't wait for Vic Mignogna to overact the heck out of this role too, while prancing around at anime cons like a diva.

But Kugi as Ed is enough for me. Also I <3 Kikuko Inoue. That'll be hawt. But Megumi Takamoto as Winry? That's a huge step up from her other roles <.<

Vic can't overract. He can't act period.

You mean Paku as Ed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
There is finally a second season to great show like this and still people complain. Anyway, I am glad there is a second season, but I'll be more interested when Funimation licenses this.

I really look forward to hearing Vic Mignogna dub as Roy Mustang again. It's been way too many years since I heard this voice.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Vic can’t overract. He can’t act period.

Why does everyone hate Vic so much? Not particularly liking a dub actor is fine, but HATING them? Geez, don’t you guys have better stuff to do? Spending so much time hating someone and concentrating on things you dislike can’t be good for your health.

Quote:
I really look forward to hearing Vic Mignogna dub as Roy Mustang again. It’s been way too many years since I heard this voice.

Vic dubbed Ed. Travis Willingham dubbed Roy Mustang. It’s okay. Just don’t let either of them hear you said that, they have a huge (friendly) rivalship going on.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Quote:
Vic can’t overract. He can’t act period.

Why does everyone hate Vic so much? Not particularly liking a dub actor is fine, but HATING them? Geez, don’t you guys have better stuff to do? Spending so much time hating someone and concentrating on things you dislike can’t be good for your health.

Quote:
I really look forward to hearing Vic Mignogna dub as Roy Mustang again. It’s been way too many years since I heard this voice.

Vic dubbed Ed. Travis Willingham dubbed Roy Mustang. It’s okay. Just don’t let either of them hear you said that, they have a huge (friendly) rivalship going on.

Opps, its been four years to many. Actually I even got Travis Willngham authograph once at Anazona con in 2004 if I remember right. Sorry about that.

On another note, I agree with you on the pointless hatred on Vic. It's one thing to dislike an actor, but its another to have this much haterd.

Anyway, I do hope this is licensed soon. I wouldn't mind watching both Bleach and another season of Full Metal Alchemist via t.v again.
cnav

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
the guys who are gonna fansub this anime have poted the trailers...i wanna know if i can post their names here or not

i never hated vic to start with ..i actually liked fma dubs ..but then i heard him bash this new anime in some convention and from then on ..I've started disliking him....it would be really good if funi doesn't pick this title up.they screw up dubs like hell..firstly i dont like dubs ,,but if i have to go with someone , then i'd go for viz anyday...

VIC is a show OFF....
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
While I'm complaining here Wink ... I wish this new series had been a continuation of the old series, starting right after the end of the movie. I meanspoiler[they have to get back to Amestris, right? They can't stay stuck in our world.]

I'm as big a fan of the first series you'll find, but I've got to disagree. The show is about sacrifice, and I think the ending of the movie was very appropriate. At any rate, spoiler[they wouldn't be able to get back to Amestris without sacrificing something even greater, and then there would be people saying that the series shouldn't end until they get whatever that was back, and it would just be never ending. Them being stuck together in a new world was the perfect place to end it, imo, any more would be beating a dead horse - plus, there is an OVA that basically says they stayed here.] And, like I said, I'm as big a fan of the first anime you'll find, but the manga is definitely worth it as well, and is most definitely deserving of its own devoted anime incarnation. I'm sure you won't be disappointed Very Happy

And all of the Vic hate rather disheartens me, too. I can understanding not liking his performance, but it seems to go a level beyond that where people are taking jabs at him just for the sake of taking jabs at him, which is really unnecessary. I usually just try to keep quiet on the issue, because I've realized that people either seem to either love him or hate him. But really, we get it, you don't like him. You've already got Romi Paku back anyways, so what's even the point to running around upsetting those who wish to have Vic return? You've got your VA of preference, let those of us who like Vic at least be hopeful without having to see a bunch of snide remarks about him every other post, honestly Neutral Just seems rather senseless to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I watched the new trailer too, and the design I really better than in the old anime... more consistent, I would say. Very Happy

I don't worry too much about the new character: as long as they stick to the manga for the main plot, and only add few original episodes/characters here and there, I'll be happy. Smile

The ending sounds ok, nothing exceptional (even if it's hard to say in like 15 seconds ^^' ), but the lyrics really fit! Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't make much of the song in the new commercial either. I'd prefer to hear some of the background music, myself. I wonder if the music from the previous two commercials will be on the soundtrack.

As for if I'm being too harsh on Vic, come on. It's not like I just suddenly brought it up in an unrelated conversation. It's a thread about voice casting in Fullmetal Alchemist. I certainly don't hate the man, but I really dislike his Ed, and it's a real tragedy to me because there's plenty of good performances in the dub besides him, but I can't enjoy them because of his Ed. It makes me cringe. Too scratchy.

To be positive, I do enjoy his renditions of the One Piece theme songs, and he certainly seems to enjoy his work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

I'm as big a fan of the first series you'll find, but I've got to disagree. The show is about sacrifice, and I think the ending of the movie was very appropriate. At any rate, spoiler[they wouldn't be able to get back to Amestris without sacrificing something even greater, and then there would be people saying that the series shouldn't end until they get whatever that was back, and it would just be never ending. Them being stuck together in a new world was the perfect place to end it, imo, any more would be beating a dead horse - plus, there is an OVA that basically says they stayed here.] And, like I said, I'm as big a fan of the first anime you'll find, but the manga is definitely worth it as well, and is most definitely deserving of its own devoted anime incarnation. I'm sure you won't be disappointed Very Happy

And all of the Vic hate rather disheartens me, too. I can understanding not liking his performance, but it seems to go a level beyond that where people are taking jabs at him just for the sake of taking jabs at him, which is really unnecessary. I usually just try to keep quiet on the issue, because I've realized that people either seem to either love him or hate him. But really, we get it, you don't like him. You've already got Romi Paku back anyways, so what's even the point to running around upsetting those who wish to have Vic return? You've got your VA of preference, let those of us who like Vic at least be hopeful without having to see a bunch of snide remarks about him every other post, honestly Neutral Just seems rather senseless to me.

About the one implying that Ed stayed here

Is that the one that implies that Ed and Al found the Alternate Universe version of Winry and both had sex with her, getting a kid from Ed that looks exactly like him, getting a kid from Al that looks exactly like him, and a kid from either of them that looks exactly like her.

My personal theory is that Ed and AU Winry had twins, then AU Winry cheated on Ed with Al giving birth to a kid that looks like Al.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

About the one implying that Ed stayed here

Is that the one that implies that Ed and Al found the Alternate Universe version of Winry and both had sex with her, getting a kid from Ed that looks exactly like him, getting a kid from Al that looks exactly like him, and a kid from either of them that looks exactly like her.

My personal theory is that Ed and AU Winry had twins, then AU Winry cheated on Ed with Al giving birth to a kid that looks like Al.

Personally the movie to me betrays the theme of Fullmetal Alchemist that no matter how bad life gets you never give up, you endure, so you can see everyone's smiling face.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't exactly consider the "Kids" OVA short as canon. It's not really important what happened to Ed and Al after the movie.

And for the record, I enjoyed the movie, except for Roy Mustang's inexplicable depression (he seemed fine at the end of the series) and spoiler[Ed's having to close the gate from the other side, which is ridiculous, because they only really need to close it from one side.]

Speaking of that "Kids" feature, I hope the new series has some omake content. Maybe animate some of the 4komas Arakawa did, like armored Alphonse wanting to be thinner.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
Haha, you know, it's not impossible that Ed could have a son that looks like Al - my cousin looks more like his uncle than he does his father. That, and they weren't his kids anyways, they were his grandkids. Or great grandkids. Or whatever. Either way, I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

I wouldn't consider it incredibly canon, either, I just think they meant to suggest that, yes, they stayed here.

The theme of FMA, to me, is not that perseverance results in a perfectly happy ending. Like I said before, I find the main theme to be sacrifice. And I really don't see them as having given up. They did what was necessary. It was more realistic than fantastic(speaking of course in terms of the tone, not quality), and I can see why that might have rubbed some people the wrong way, but I found it to be very fitting. Honestly, an all's well that ends well type of ending where they get everything they wanted because they fought hard and whatnot really would have bothered me terribly. That would go more against the themes of the series, imo, and it's just so much more devoid of the many deeper themes that are otherwise incorporated. But I've argued all of this before and don't really want to hijack this thread any more by getting back into the specifics - I've probably already rambled too much as it is Anime smile + sweatdrop

I would love to see some of the extras section animated, too, haha. But there's so much of it to choose from! It is Arakawa's favorite part of doing the manga, according to one of her author's notes, after all Razz Now I'm going to have to flip through all of the volumes to look for my favorites Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crow-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Why is there no outrage for Kimblee's VA? If Hallelujah from Gundam 00 is the only example I have to go by that is of a slightly crazy character he has done it doesn't work. Maybe if Kimblee was some young crazy pretty boy, but he isn't he is a older handsome batshit insane nutjob who is so damn smooth and won't think twice to blow you up. They just don't match. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13