• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
Honestly, while I've been buying tons of stuff, I don't remember any of it...so....good for me?
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Took a trip to MovieStop this weekend looking for Yukikaze vol. 2. No such luck, but the trip yielded:

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
TekkonKinkreet
The Castle of Cagliostro
- $2 (even the cashier thought that price was insane)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Honestly, while I've been buying tons of stuff, I don't remember any of it...so....good for me?

Sounds more like it's good for the retailers involved. Wink

It's been a while since I've seen your DVDAF backlog list - what are you up to these days? Here's mine as of today:

http://bloodminus.dvdaf.com/owned/unwatched

For those who don't like clicking links, that's 747 unwatched titles / 1437 unwatched discs versus 222 watched titles / 499 watched discs.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, Blood-. at a quick glance, you have over 2900 hours of unwatched content, which would take you at least 121 days to watch if you decided to forgo unnecessary things like sleep. If you treated watching anime like a job (9-5, 5 days/wk, work through lunch Laughing) it'd take you 72.5 work weeks, or about 1.4 years, to finish.

I like estimatiing Embarassed .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
@ImperialKat - I have an even more depressing estimate - and one that is based on my historical rate of watching my owned anime (as distinct from anime I watch by streaming).

If you add the 499 discs of owned anime I have watched to the 85 discs of owned anime I have sold/traded, you get a figure of 584 discs watched in total. That figure represents what I have watched since January of 2009. That's a measly rate of 15 discs a month. Assuming I don't pick up the pace, it would take me about 96 months (8 years) to watch my current backlog ASSUMING I don't add to it.

I feel a little sick.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Just preordered Bunny Drop at RightStuf. So happy it was licensed. Very Happy
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ImperialKat - I have an even more depressing estimate - and one that is based on my historical rate of watching my owned anime (as distinct from anime I watch by streaming).

If you add the 499 discs of owned anime I have watched to the 85 discs of owned anime I have sold/traded, you get a figure of 584 discs watched in total. That figure represents what I have watched since January of 2009. That's a measly rate of 15 discs a month. Assuming I don't pick up the pace, it would take me about 96 months (8 years) to watch my current backlog ASSUMING I don't add to it.

I feel a little sick.

Congats, you've got me beat!
http://oldcharlie55.dvdaf.com/owned/unwatched-anime
671 titles, 1227 discs of unwatched anime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I have a bad habit of watching some or most of a series and just stopping for awhile (sometimes years). As a result I cannot tell you how far I've watched some shows and may not know.

I have not, and will not attempted to seperate watched from unwatched. Doing so would just be depressing. I will say that I have only a few series where I have not watched at least some of the series. Watching at least a few episodes was important when you had to decide if you wanted to buy the rest of the series.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Made one of my semi-regular trips to the local FYE & used media shop. Ended up with One Piece Collection 3 (which after a combo of my trade-ins, some left over store credit, and a sale ended up costing me only $7), The Gokusen complete collection, and Summer Wars.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
@ OldCharlie - I don't mind being ahead of you, but if I ever get ahead of FaytLein (which will never happen) then I"d officially know I've Gone Too Far.

@Alan45 - I have a few titles that I started watching and then stopped with the intention of resuming later. But mostly, I'm anal about finishing series so I can switch them to my Owned/Watched category...
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I've cut my anime purchases way back in the last couple of years, but I still have a backlog of stuff I have bought and not yet watched.

I look at it this way: when I'm in the mood to watch some anime, I always have something new at my disposal to enjoy. Anime smile + sweatdrop
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It's been a while since I've seen your DVDAF backlog list - what are you up to these days?

1110 titles, and 2167 discs. While I love my job for the money, I hate that it has devoured any trace of a normal personal life, since I haven't been able to watch anything in about 6 months or so. Which means I don't have much to discuss on ANN. Real sad. Crying or Very sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, FaytLein! As pathetic as it sounds, I use you as my ultimate benchmark. As long as I'm not close to your total, I feel like I'm not being OVERLY excessive. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
It is nothing new. Back when I used to watch (Broadcast) TV I would get real enthusuastic about a new show and watch it every week. After about 5 weeks I just couldn't be bothered.

I currently do the same thing with streaming, but that is because I intend to buy the disks and don't want to spoil the ending.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Naruto volume fifty-six and Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal volume one, and ordered Tegami Bachi volume nine, One Piece volume sixty-two, Psyren volume four, and Pokemon Adventures Black and White volume seven.

Manga Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 878 of 1401