• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

In regards to Gantz, Dark Horse has decided to change the spine design to go along with the new logo design. I have to say I really don't like it, I thought their original logo was great Confused .

It really makes me sad when publishers do that. DMP/June did it on some of their series and the spines and covers look completely different to earlier volumes in the series and it upsets my need to have everything from the same series matching. If Dark Horse change the design of the 4th Cardcaptor Sakura omnibus I will not be happy. At least Kodansha kept their design similar to Del Rey's on the continuing series.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

It really makes me sad when publishers do that. DMP/June did it on some of their series and the spines and covers look completely different to earlier volumes in the series and it upsets my need to have everything from the same series matching. If Dark Horse change the design of the 4th Cardcaptor Sakura omnibus I will not be happy. At least Kodansha kept their design similar to Del Rey's on the continuing series.

I imagine that the next CCS omnibus will be changed. I saw the newest Magic Knight Rayearth book at the shop and that one had the new logo as well. Crying or Very sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
I imagine so. I'm tempted to fire them a tweet asking them not to. I saw a reprint of the second Chobits one that had it as well Sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Kodansha has changed the logo placement/spine design for the Negima omnibus volumes while keeping the Del Ray design for the individual volumes.

This is a fairly common problem. Viz has changed logos on several occasions as did some of the publishers not still with us. The chances of a long running series having a completely consistant spine format are rather slim.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Actually, Kodansha has changed the logo placement/spine design for the Negima omnibus volumes while keeping the Del Ray design for the individual volumes.

That's what I meant by continuing series. Stuff they didn't take over from Del Rey has different spine designs than the stuff they did. Sailor Moon, for example, doesn't have the "Kodansha" kanji at the top and the logo at the bottom, whereas Arisa (which had volume 1 published by Del Rey) does.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Dragon Ball Z Season 2 Uncut

Adding two more things to the list, that makes 3 items in total for the month, and this will probably be all I'll buy.

Anime:
Dragon Ball Z Season 2 Uncut
Tenchi Muyo! GXP (2006 boxset)

Manga:
Maison Ikkoku Vol.6
Vracer111

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
I ordered Usagi Drop (R4 release) this weekend, saw it on crunchyroll last week and had to have a release of it...
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
The entire Brigadoon anime series in individual volumes from off E-Bay. Got it quite cheap for $15 and with free standard shipping. Quite cheap for an anime that has been OOP for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
Well, my budget for April just got shot to hell. I picked up the full run of the Monster manga, and then the two Sayaka Miki nendies that I ordered (well, I accidentally ordered a second one, but what can ya do?) came in as well. Ah well, I'll try to be frugal in May. Yup, that's what I'll tell myself.

Oh, and while I was on the kick of picking up hard to find manga, I decided I was never going to find a reasonably priced brand new copy of Kaze Hikaru vol. 5 and so I just picked up a used copy off Amazon.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Woot! I wasn't actually expecting to get anything on eBay tonight (or 4am this morning), but complete set of Android Kikaider? Yes please! $35 too, used, but not a bad price for it I'd say (yes, I could've bid starting at $25, but seeing how legit copies go for well over $100, I just went with the "buy it now" option, and getting it new? Let's not be unrealistic here). And the person posted actual pictures, so I poured over them to make sure they were the Bandai release, and all the pictures indicate that, yes, it is the legit R1 release from Bandai. I think I only really got to see one episode on adult swim, mostly due to me not really watching anime on adult swim during that time for some reason (maybe it was the break after the first half of original FMA?), but I recall finding it interesting. I could be wrong, it might've been Cyborg 009, the series look damn near the same most of the time.
Sure, this is a total blind buy, but I do like older shows and two friends that I have high compatibility with on MAL (in particular on older and scifi shows) both gave it an 8 (and we all have a thing for old school stuff) so I'm thinking it's a safe blind buy.

I guess that's one off my list for Bandai stuff, any suggestions on what else to get? I'm thinking Silent Mobius (I'll probably wait til Otakon to get G Gundam)
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
UPS delivered a package from Powell's Books today, and it contained the final 10 Ranma 1/2 manga volumes I needed to complete my collection: Volumes 19, 21, 24, 25, 27, 31, 32, 33, 35, and 36.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Comic shop:

Love Hina Omnibus 3
Strawberry Panic Manga Omnibuus
Wild@Heart Omnibus.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I got Kimi ni Todoke collection 2 in the mail yesterday and noticed that it had a dent in the artbox. So, I contacted NIS America through their website and got a reply saying that they would send me a replacement artbox right away. This makes me very happy as I love their big bulky artboxes.
Very Happy

I have to say that the few times I have contacted them with a problem their customer service has been top notch.
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I almost never truly impulse buy, usually there's at least a little thought in it, but today's been weird...and it started with a Master Grade Unicorn Gundam model kit. I've been wanting to try a Master Grade for a while, and after assembling a lower-grade kit sent to me by another forumite, the spark was lit. I was looking specifically for one that was in Destroy Mode, but this one actually can transform when assembled!

Then on top of that, the deals just kept popping up all over the place...all of these are 50% off or better.

Amazon:
Princess Jellyfish ($30!)
Claymore BD

RightStuf:
Giant Robo
Princess Tutu
Kaze no Stigma

Sigh. I'm getting worse at controlling myself. The world is too convenient.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm lovin' TRSI's new feature that allows international customers like myself (or should I say, international men of mystery???) to track packages. Thanks to this handy feature, I now know that my latest package (which just happens to have the first two Madoka LE volumes in it) arrived at Canadian customs today at 10:26 am. I wonder how long those apes will hold onto it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 875 of 1401