• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyesage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
God, someone's view is different from mine? Get over yourselves. Mostly I just read here but this is ridiculous. They are all being very nice to Geass (3.5 of 5 is GOOD PEOPLE) and who cares if they like xxxHolic more? What do they even have in common? Really nothing, except for the fact that CLAMP did the character art.

That said, ohman am I happy that they made an anime of Nabari No Ou. That manga is hilarious, and my friend will be happy to hear about it.

I think the new format is awesome and a lot more fair. Casey, I think I'll be going with your reviews the most because a) you are the ONLY GIRL (I think, why isn't Bamboo reviewing, she too busy?) b) you are new and c) your tastes seem to go along with mine.

...Also its always refreshing to see people who aren't all OOOOHHHH SERIOUS 5 of 5! Smile
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
gan17 wrote:
So far, for Spring 08, my fave has to be Kure-Nai.

Will also be watching Code Geass and Nabari no Ou and maybe Allison and Lillia.

Carlos.... I agree with you on Kure-Nai.

Casey... since you're dropping Kure-Nai, you're obviously tasteless.

Having read a couple chapters of the manga (as casey seems to have what with her comments on the art style and the light novels) I think I have to say that people who are rating it highly based on the episodes thus far are in for a bit of a let down. They just toyed around with the order of the events. The first few chapters of the manga set an absolutely different (and certainly more typical) tone.

When I turned on the first ep I was getting ready for it to present itself as a shouen show with shounen character interaction. They can't keep up this whole dramatic/slice of life thing forever without drastically walking away from the source material. That's not to say that I dislike the show, but I'd say it hardly has master piece potential.

NewLondenion wrote:
I would also like to voice my opinion against the [pre]reviewers' comments in regards to Code Geass and their subsequent ratings of the show despite the fact that it was only the first episode.

First, I would like to point out that while the show is definitely a mecha series, it's largely ignorant to dislike it because of that one aspect of it. Unlike other mecha-intensive shows like Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic!, and Evangelion, the mecha in Code Geass is by no means the focus of the show. The mecha serve as mere tools for the powers-that-be and the main characters.

Secondly, I would like to object to the reviewers' negative comments to Zero's appearance for two different reasons.
1. Given how the main character regained one year's worth of memories in the period of ten seconds, Zero's "grandiose gesticulations" and his "booming voice" I think would be completely justified.

It's melodrama pure and simple. It's either going to appeal to someone or it isn't. I personally think it fits his character's intentions pretty well (most great orators tend to have a booming voice and like to gesture, especially in war time). But even if makes sense that doesn't mean everyone's going to like it in their anime<.<

Last edited by babbo on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CerebralDivinity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
Jesus, the reviews are more schizo than ever. Is that all it takes to bash an anime nowadays? hate hate hate hate hate

Okay, okay, you've made your point. You don't like the guide because:
a) the reviewers don't agree with each other
b) some of the reviewers don't agree with you

I think you can stop reading it and complaining now. This feature is not for you.

Shippoyasha has a legitimate point here that I think you're missing: the reviews vary heavily. He never states that this is bad. He goes on to say that the reviews focus heavily on stereotypes, which also seems to be the case.

As far as the ANN staff, your responses haven't been any different than the users who have posted here. Aren't they allowed to disagree with you? Isn't it okay that they dislike a review? To condemn this as a complaint is shallow; you should think of it as feedback.

Personally, I agree with those who think that the reviews are overly critical (in general). When looking at a first episode for a new series, one really shouldn't just take that episode individually for its face value. The point of a review to to persuade or dissuade a reader from watching the anime. It's way too early to judge an entire series as good or bad; you need to look for potential, anything new or interesting, and what qualities someone who might be interested in the anime might want to know. That (in my opinion) should be the goal of those reviewing the early episodes of an anime.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The reviews are different because they're coming from different people.

As far as overly critical of the first episodes, yeah I can kind of see that.

And I don't know how many times this has to be stated:

Quote:
It's way too early to judge an entire series as good or bad;

They aren't judging the series, but only what they are presented with. Call it a preview of the series, or a review of the episode. If they say "I think this will turn out worse in later episodes", it's a GUESS, not a review.
CerebralDivinity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
They aren't judging the series, but only what they are presented with.

I never said that this wasn't what the reviewers were doing - I was just giving my take on it. I think that a lot of the time, they are straying away from the idea of previewing, and to some degree, making blanket statements about the series, or the genre.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on guys! Overly critical? Hardly, I'd personally be a lot harsher on some of the series (and more generous on only one or two of them).
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
CerebralDivinity wrote:
As far as the ANN staff, your responses haven't been any different than the users who have posted here. Aren't they allowed to disagree with you? Isn't it okay that they dislike a review? To condemn this as a complaint is shallow; you should think of it as feedback.

Disliking or disagreeing with a review is fine. We and the editors do get a bit prickly when said disagreements start hedging towards (or outright being) personal attacks, however, and a couple of comments on this list have at the very least come close to that.

Quote:
Personally, I agree with those who think that the reviews are overly critical (in general). When looking at a first episode for a new series, one really shouldn't just take that episode individually for its face value. The point of a review to to persuade or dissuade a reader from watching the anime. It's way too early to judge an entire series as good or bad; you need to look for potential, anything new or interesting, and what qualities someone who might be interested in the anime might want to know. That (in my opinion) should be the goal of those reviewing the early episodes of an anime.

We see this kind of comment on a regular basis when doing preview guides or reviews of first volumes of series. (In the latter case such complaints usually come from those who have seen the whole series in fansubs and are disgruntled that its early episodes are getting bashed, but that's obviously not the case here.) I have two responses to it:

1) Although we can choose to "persuade or dissuade" if we want, the point of a review is actually to review. We put out there what it is, say how we evaluate it, how it compares (or doesn't) to similar titles, and so forth. Sure, sometimes I'll slant my comments so I'm actively promoting a series or, more rarely, recommending against it, or I'll comment to the effect that a title is particularly well-suited (or not) to certain types of fans, but other times I honestly have no opinion and just lay it out there.

2) I do "look for potential" and often make comments to that effect; if you haven't noticed that then you haven't been paying attention. However, sometimes you also have to acknowledge that no potential exists, at least based on what's been shown so far.

And geez, why are people complaining now about opinions being too diverse? Some of the earliest complaints were about the opinions being too similar (e.g. Kanokon).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nekotenshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Anyone reviewing Nabari no Oh? A couple friends were raving about it last week so I checked it out to see what the fuss was about. It looks like quality work if a fairly typical ninja story, though at least they're modern-day ninja with an interesting setup. I loved the character designs and art and animation. I hope they sustain it for the whole series.

Yeah, once I got hold of a decent copy of the first episode I fell for it big-time. As you say, storyline seems typical enough to start with, but such pretty character designs, nice handling of the fight scenes and supernatural effects (that "skin-crawling text" reminded me of something similar-looking from Mushishi), and I love the delicate watercolor quality of the backgrounds and scenery. Off to a fine start IMHO.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I think that this preview guide is great because it gives me different opinions about the new season of anime. I believe that everyone that's complaining about how bias the reviews are are just jealous of the reviewers because thier opinions are in the spotlight while their views are not.

It's always okay to agree and disagree, but everyone's gotta remember that these reviews are all opinion and express the opinions of the reviewer only and not the site itself.

Anyways keep up the good work reviewers and I congratulate ANN.com on sticking with this new format.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Having read a couple chapters of the manga (as casey seems to have what with her comments on the art style and the light novels) I think I have to say that people who are rating it highly based on the episodes thus far are in for a bit of a let down. They just toyed around with the order of the events. The first few chapters of the manga set an absolutely different (and certainly more typical) tone.

When I turned on the first ep I was getting ready for it to present itself as a shouen show with shounen character interaction. They can't keep up this whole dramatic/slice of life thing forever without drastically walking away from the source material. That's not to say that I dislike the show, but I'd say it hardly has master piece potential.

Those Kure-nai manga chapters are side stories made by the illustrator of the light novels. So please don't base the actual light novel on those events, think of them as linking between novels events and how the cast interact once they all know each other. If anything the darker scenes/flashbacks from the magna are probably stuff from the novels. Like spoiler[Beniko killing everyone about to kill the young Kurenai and Ginko.] The light novels are pretty much a full arc and not full of side stories.

Anyway I don't know why Casey thinks this is going nowhere. Isn't a show allowed to build up characters anymore?
loka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
thanks for upgrading the season preview article ANN. i really like it and find this much improved from the past format(s).

although i'm not a big fan of the point rating. but it certainly gives fodder to the talkback.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Don't know if I'm being thick by asking this, but is Casey referring to a specific show the the end off her XXXHolic: Kei ep 2 review, or does she just mean that perhaps established fans would generally do better to check out other stuff (I'm already doing this as it happens, since I already love the manga)?

Continuing to love the new format. I am definitely watching a LOT more from this season than I would otherwise have done under the previous preview style. Looking forward to yet more reviews.
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
babbo wrote:

Those Kure-nai manga chapters are side stories made by the illustrator of the light novels. So please don't base the actual light novel on those events, think of them as linking between novels events and how the cast interact once they all know each other. If anything the darker scenes/flashbacks from the magna are probably stuff from the novels. Like spoiler[Beniko killing everyone about to kill the young Kurenai and Ginko.] The light novels are pretty much a full arc and not full of side stories.

Anyway I don't know why Casey thinks this is going nowhere. Isn't a show allowed to build up characters anymore?

So they're part of the story right? Again, the character relations, the plot, they're all very typical shounen stuff (murausaki's obsession with shinkurou verging on creepy); even some of the things we've seen in the anime verge on the ridiculous (ie typical as far as shounen manga/anime). A high school girl that is able to collect data for a (high school) guy who does professionals jobs? You've even got a high school head of a uber dojo. And if that's the aftermath, then that just means the character interaction will degerate into typical stuff.

Additionally, in the anime most of the cast seem to already be introduced to each other the same as in the manga, so it seems strange that you would say that.

And again, I'm not saying it's bad. I just don't see this as the master piece some people claim it has to potential to be; there's definitely other stuff that I'd rather watch.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So they're part of the story right?

The FMP side stories animated as Fumoffuu are apart of the story, is that anything like how the main part plays out?

Quote:
Again, the character relations, the plot, they're all very typical shounen stuff (murausaki's obsession with shinkurou verging on creepy);

Of course it's shounen, the novels are released on a shounen label after all and the manga runs in the Jump Square. What will you point out next? That fanservice shows like To Love Ru and Kanokon have no plot?

Quote:
A high school girl that is able to collect data for a (high school) guy who does professionals jobs? You've even got a high school head of a uber dojo.

How preposterous! How could anything like that happen in an anime!

Quote:
Additionally, in the anime most of the cast seem to already be introduced to each other the same as in the manga, so it seems strange that you would say that.

No it's not strange saying that since the main female character hasn't even met half the cast yet. Have his room mates met Yuuno and Ginko? Have Benika met Yuuno and Ginko?

Quote:
And again, I'm not saying it's bad. I just don't see this as the master piece some people claim it has to potential to be; there's definitely other stuff that I'd rather watch.

Good for you.
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Quote:
So they're part of the story right?

The FMP side stories animated as Fumoffuu are apart of the story, is that anything like how the main part plays out?

Wow. Is that a straw man I smell burning? I fail to see how purely comedic side stories are a fair comparison here. From what I've seen of the manga it's been digging into the characters' past. Not providing a comic relief. The fact that they are side stories does nothing to invalidate their relevance to asessing the characters and the story's merits.

Quote:
Quote:
Again, the character relations, the plot, they're all very typical shounen stuff (murausaki's obsession with shinkurou verging on creepy);

Of course it's shounen, the novels are released on a shounen label after all and the manga runs in the Jump Square. What will you point out next? That fanservice shows like To Love Ru and Kanokon have no plot?

Typical shounen. There's eventually a harem for God's sakes.

Quote:

Quote:
A high school girl that is able to collect data for a (high school) guy who does professionals jobs? You've even got a high school head of a uber dojo.

How preposterous! How could anything like that happen in an anime!

Not preposterous. Typical. If I had the time I could probably get you a dozen other anime that rely on the same character archetypes >.>

Quote:

Quote:

No it's not strange saying that since the main female character hasn't even met half the cast yet. Have his room mates met Yuuno and Ginko? Have Benika met Yuuno and Ginko?

Fine, yo've got me there. I just don't see how that changes the eventual outcome.

Quote:

Quote:

Good for you.

chilax <.<

I'm not insulting you. I'm discussing merits of a cartoon. You're acting silly here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13