• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Rivals/Adversaries Tournament-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Can't we make it an exception? C will be complete (or at least its first season... and I don't see it going further, at least not with our protagonist's rival) in less than 2 weeks. That's before we start the actual tournament, right? In my view it's less of an exception than characters from Brotherhood we accepted in the other tournament... now which tournament was it...

I know you're quite wary of exceptions, but if the anime itself is complete by then, why not?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
-This is one of the greatest adversaries match ups in the history of anime, why did it take 8 pages to mention them?! Were we all having a collective senior moment or something?! Anyway, thanks to Aylinn it has been fixed and it's getting an immediate seconding from me.

My temporary absence from these forums aside, I was actually thinking about that too and even considered nominating them myself. Nevertheless, the fact Aylinn got to them first is still a very good thing in my book. Which means I'm also giving that rivalry my support (I'll get around to the rest of my picks and possibly one or two nominations later on).

Voting for:
Yang Wen-li vs. Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Akito Hayama vs Naozumi Kamura, Kodocha
Triela vs Pinnochio, Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino
Humans vs Shiki, Shiki

Nominating:
Nabuca and Shu, Now and Then Here and There pic
Type of Rivalry: Ideological rivalry
What It's All About: Shu is a Japanese boy from Earth who finds himself whisked inside the confines of the militant government known as Hellywood while trying to protect a mysterious girl named Lala-Ru. Nabuca is a boy who was enslaved and forced into joining Hellywood's military. Both these two boys clash frequently throughout Now and Then Here and There over the differences in their personal beliefs regarding the merciless actions of Hellywood. Shu is defiant in believing that the actions of Hellywood are morally wrong and that they have to be stopped to protect the lands that the government is trying to conquer. Nabuca believes that conformity to Hellywood's violent ways would allow everyone to return to their homelands once Hellywood conquers over everything, while knowing full well of the immoral acts that he and others in the Hellywood military are committing.
Why They Should Win: Shu and Nabuca's differences in personal beliefs regarding Hellywood serve as a major focus of Now and Then Here and There by highlighting the differences in upbringings and moral positions that the two boys are in. While Shu is still clean in the fact he hasn't dirtied his hands with murder, Nabuca can never be free of the sins he committed with Hellywood. Being reminded of his sins frequently by Shu often causes Nabuca to clash with the boy as Nabuca believes there is no turning back in what he has done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:
Nabuca and Shu, Now and Then Here and There
Although I didn't care for the series, I do have to admit this was a good rivalry.

Nominating:
Mahoro v. Ryuga, Mahoromatic (Automatic Maiden), pic (notice: very small pantsu shot, but best pic I could find. Sorry)
Type: Enemies
What's It About: Mahoro is Vesper's best android who has a limited number of days left to function. Ryugu is Saint's best android, and he'll stop at nothing to prove it.
Why They Should Win: Well, for the gratuitous pantsu and nude shots, of course! I would be shocked if this series makes it past the first round, but should they do so, it will be based on the intense appreciate each android has for the other as they face their own weaknesses, only possible when the opponent takes advantage of them. The rivalry is so tense, Mahoro literally goes.... oh, wait. That would be a spoiler.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Kai Ichinose vs. Shuhei Amamiya Piano Forest pic
Type of Rivalry: rival pianists, competitive
What it's All About: Rich boy and pianist Shuhei transfers to a new elementary school and quickly learns about a mysterious piano residing in the forest near the school. No one can get any sound out of this piano though. No one that is, except for a crude boy named Kai. Kai plays beautifully and attracts the attention of legendary pianist Sosuke Ajino. Shuhei has been trying to get Ajino to teach him for years and this, combined with Kai's indifferent attitude towards his own talent, sets the two boys at odds. As Kai's passion for playing is born,their rivalry is shown in full when a piano tournament is held, and Shuhei and Kai will have to play against each other in order to move on to the nationals.
Why they Should Win: This is a story of two boys fighting for their dreams. They each have very different views on what playing the piano is about and should mean, and are very different people. Shuhei has been playing all his life and trains hard every day, while Kai has natural talent but is a slacker.

Inuyasha vs. Koga Inuyasha pic
Type of Rivalry: love rivals, power struggle
What it's All About: Koga is a wolf demon and Inuyasha is not only a half-demon, but half dog demon. So it's natural for them to hate each other. Combine that with falling in love with the same girl and a race to retrieve the shards of the power-increasing Jewel of Four Souls, and you have two rivals that fight like 2 wet cats in a sack.
Why they Should Win: These two are hilarious, but get serious when it comes to protecting Kagome. Throughout the series their rivalry and race to collect the shards and be the first to defeat Naraku drives them to hone their fighting skills and increase their power.

There are a few other nominations I was thinking about but I don't know very well. Like Sailor Moon. Several different rivalries could come out of that series. Also, Initial D. I've only seen the 1st season, but from what I've heard of the later series Takuma Fujiwara vs. Ryosuke Takahashi sounds viable.
Also, what other rivalries should we use for Inuyasha? 'Team' Inuyasha (Kagome, Inuyasha, Kilala, Sango, Miroku, & Shippou) vs. Naraku? Inuyasha vs. Naraku? Inuyasha vs. Sesshoumaru? Kagome vs. Kikyo?

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Nominating:
Mahoro v. Ryuga, Mahoromatic (Automatic Maiden), pic (notice: very small pantsu shot, but best pic I could find. Sorry)
Type: Enemies
What's It About: Mahoro is Vesper's best android who has a limited number of days left to function. Ryugu is Saint's best android, and he'll stop at nothing to prove it.
Why They Should Win: Well, for the gratuitous pantsu and nude shots, of course! I would be shocked if this series makes it past the first round, but should they do so, it will be based on the intense appreciate each android has for the other as they face their own weaknesses, only possible when the opponent takes advantage of them. The rivalry is so tense, Mahoro literally goes.... oh, wait. That would be a spoiler.

Mahoromatic is one of my favorite series, but I think this is a marginal choice because the rivalry is one-sided. (Mahoro only fights Ryoga because she essentially has to.) Their conflict is only manifest for a small chunk of the series, too. I won't vote against this one, and will provide a better pic if it makes the cut, but I won't support it, either.

I will support Nabuca vs. Shu and Inuyasha vs. Koga. Of the other conflicts, I honestly think both Inuyasha vs. Sesshomaru and Team Inuyasha vs. Naraku are worth nominating. That series can handle three because it has more direct, long-term rivalries in it than most.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mahoromatic is one of my favorite series, but I think this is a marginal choice because the rivalry is one-sided.

Sometimes you scare me, Key, having thoughts I think are my own. Wink

I had debated adding this one for a bit until I remembered a critical scene where spoiler[Mahoro finally gets to the point of using a very strong weapon to take out Ryuga given he pushed her to the point of killing him.]

I wasn't sure of how to write this one up considering the progression of the story over the two seasons and how this match up changes.

I'm okay if it doesn't make it. Many of these won't. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Claudette vs. Leina Vance, Queen's Blade pic
Type of Conflict: Familial and Ideological Rivalry
What It's About: Leina (the blonde) is the official heir of Baron Vance, but finds the destiny she's locked into to be a trap and seeks to break out and adventure to discover her freedom. Claudette (the red-hair), the older and illegitimate half-sister, is ever dutiful and serves the Baron both as the Thunder General and as the one who has always looked out for Leina. She hates that Leina will not embrace her responsibility or appreciate her position and has long been jealous of how the Baron favors Leina, while Leina, who has always loved Claudette, has come to see her older sister as an obstruction to her freedom and feels that she must be able to beat Claudette to truly be free.
Why They Should Win: These two face off in battle on at least three occasions, with Claudette attempting to bring Leina back home by force after she's run off. Though there is love between them, the conflict of viewpoints is also very real.

And another side thought: would Ataru vs. Shutaro from Urusei Yatsura be enough of a true rivalry to be worth writing up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Voting for

Nabuca and Shu / Now and then, here and there

I have a write up for FMA Brotherhood, but I have not found a single picture that would work for it (Elrics vs Homonculi), neither anything that would remotely work for it, would a fanart be allowed?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Photoshops are allowed, So take a legit group Homunculi pic, drop a pic of the Elric pair in the middle and post it on your fave pic hosting site or send it to Key to host.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
For that you need some basic photoshopping skills, and I am technologically challenged. Well, I will give it a go, so watch this space for a photoshop disaster.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
You could also just upload 2 images.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Key seems to be insisting on single images. Although it does suggest the simplest way of photoshopping an image is to paste two images side by side into one picture.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
The Elrics vs the Homonculi / Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
Elrics: Hohenheim, Ed and Alphonse Elric
Homonculi: Lust, Sloth, Pride, Wrath, Greed 1, (Greed 2), Gluttony, Envy, (Father)

The Picture

Type of Conflict: Ideological Rivalry, Competitive rivals
What It's About: In their search for the Philosophers Stone, Ed and Al Elric start investigating a case that will lead them deeper into the world of behind the scenes politics. Along the way they find out that people who rule the country are not who they seem to be, and they will have to face a series of powerful opponents- the Homonculi, to resolve the mystery. With the help of their father (who has a few secrets of his own) will have to join forces with their friends (and some enemies) and act fast in order to save the world.

Why They Should Win: The conflict, regardless whether it comes to FMA or FMA Brotherhood, is features a lot of important political and ethical themes running in the background, and it as well as some of the most impressive confrontations in anime. The Homonculi are ruthless and skilled and provide a great match for the Elrics.

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:
Team Inuyasha vs Naraku Inuyasha pic1* pic2**
Key Members of Team Inuyasha: Kagome, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango, Kilala, and Shippou
Type of Conflict: revenge, love rivals, survival, enemies, ideological, power struggle
What it's All About: Each person of Team Inuyasha has a strong reason to hate the evil demon Naraku. He tricked Inuyasha into attacking a village and killed his beloved Kikyo. A curse Naraku put on Miroku's grandfather will kill Miroku soon unless he kills Naraku. Sango's and Kilala's entire village of demon slayers was slaughtered because of Naraku, and he took Sango's younger brother and brainwashed him to be his servant. Shippou is an orphan fox demon who fights for his friends, and Kagome has a duty as a priestess to protect the Jewel of Four Souls whose shards Naraku wants to use to rule the world and grant his wish.
Why they Should Win: This is one of the most epic rivalries in anime. When one side gets the upper hand, the other immediately powers up to match. Their rivalry is completely irreconcilable and the stakes are nothing less than the entire world.

Yusuke Urameshi vs. Shinobu Sensui YuYu Hakusho pic
Type of Conflict: Ideological, survival, enemies
What it's All About: When Yusuke died and was brought back to life, he became the Spirit Detective of Earth. But he was not the first human awarded this title. Shinobu Sensui, a demon-fighting prodigy born with almost more power than he could handle was the Spirit Detective before Yusuke. While trying to protect humans from demons, Sensui witnessed a group of corrupt humans torturing and killing demons grotesquely. His mind broke and from then on he considered humans as worse than demons. 10 years later when his successor as Spirit Detective is finally chosen, he decides that this new Spirit Detective will represent all of humanity and determine whether the human race survives, or is destroyed.
Why they Should Win: Sensui is a prime example of what can happen to a person who has seen too much evil, and Yusuke, although cynical about humanity and not exactly an upstanding citizen, rises to protect his friends. This is a battle to decide the fate of humanity, and if they are worth saving.

*I couldn't find a picture with all 7 of them together, but this one has all but Shippou and Kilala
**Here's Shippou and Kilala

Last edited by Tris8 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 20