• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime Delayed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster-what is wrong with kids being exposed to homosexual relationships? It's not as if Sailor Moon has any graphic sexual imagery. All that parents would have to tell their kids is that some girls like girls. I understand that things where different when you were younger, but the only way our views on sexuality will evolve is if we teach kids that alternative relationships are normal before they develop their own biases.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
It's a shame that people like zeo1fan or Cryssoberyl don't seem to get it. Not every seven-year-old kid can handle mature subject matter or have responsible parents. Also,not everyone on earth shares their opinions and that includes most parents. They just want to raise their kids and make sure they grow up to be well-adjusted members of society. And for many of them,our current culture makes it very difficult.

I don't see any reason why children couldn't be shown homosexual relationships. Of course, we're really only talking about the children of straight parents; the children of homosexual couples are already familiar with the concept. If you can understand , "mommy and daddy love each other," I see no reason why you couldn't understand, "mommy and mommy," or, "daddy and daddy," loving each other. It's not a 'mature concept', in the adolescent or genuine senses of the term.

I'm not quite sure what your point is, because you're evasive about why parents would have difficulty explaining or showing homosexuality to their children and why it would be damaging. My best guess is that you've made the mistake of equating homosexual relationships and identity with sexual acts. And thus see acquainting children with homosexuality as tantamount to explaining sexual intercourse and accompany activities. I've seen it done before. It isn't the case; children can understand that their parents have some kind of special relationship without knowing about their sexual activities and could surely understand that relationship applying to different combinations of genders.

What I'm more bothered and confused by is your belief that parents would not want to expose their children to homosexuality in order for them to become, "well-adjusted members of society," or because it would, "confuse kids." Aside from the erroneous equation of sexual orientation with sexual acts, I fail to see the problem. If anything, I think that it's wiser to have children become familiar with as diverse a range of kinds of people as possible at a rather young age. That including homosexuals. Doing so would broaden their knowledge and improve their ability to coexist with those not like themselves. Isolating them from knowledge like that encourages narrow-mindedness, leaving them ill-equipped to deal with and understand difference in society. I think that what you're advocating might be counterproductive toward the goals you think that is has and represents an attitude that's becoming less common.

Lastly, I don't think that you can baldly assert ‘cultural differences' as a justification like that. What are the differences? What is their nature? What are the consequences? Japan has a lot going for it and it seems unlikely that its cultural problems were caused by premature exposure to lesbians.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Not every seven-year-old kid can handle mature subject matter or have responsible parents. Also,not everyone on earth shares their opinions and that includes most parents.

Then they can watch a different show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Generally I don't think kids would even question it much if they saw a same sex relationship. I for one was born and raised on the Island of Key West which is VERY progressive/open to same sex, so I grew up seeing same sex couples as a norm. According to my mother I never asked her about it. Kids generally don't think about relationships in terms of sex. You do things like hold hands with your best friend (who more than likely is the same gender) at an early age, so why would you think it weird that adults do? And that is the most Uranus/Neptune do in the show. Sure, it make be subtly suggested they do more, but really that's about it.

Either way, they probably wouldn't even notice it, let alone be bothered by it unless raised it a setting where they're told it is wrong. Kids are only taught that homosexual relationships are wrong by the people who raise them.

And like penguintruth said, if a parent has a serious problem with that and want to teach their children to be judgmental then they can just forbid them from watching the show.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
This is 2013, homosexuality is generally accepted now. It wouldnt be an issue. Sailor moon has a great story. The Senshi's are what made this so good. The slow reveal and build up to the end are what got people to stick around. The show was so radically different at the time, it would be nothin now. I can't wait for the remake.
burgersaurus

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote
hey snomaster1, did the thought ever occur to you that children might be confused by depictions of homosexuality in media because people like you are dead set on keeping it away from them? so that if a kid ever starts thinking they might be into people of the same gender, their lack of fictional role models and relatable characters makes them feel weird and alienated?

i am gay and you have no idea how much michiru and haruka meant to me as i was growing up. even when they were supposed to be cousins.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
burgersaurus wrote:
hey snomaster1, did the thought ever occur to you that children might be confused by depictions of homosexuality in media because people like you are dead set on keeping it away from them? so that if a kid ever starts thinking they might be into people of the same gender, their lack of fictional role models and relatable characters makes them feel weird and alienated?

i am gay and you have no idea how much michiru and haruka meant to me as i was growing up. even when they were supposed to be cousins.

Amen to that! When I was little and watched Sailor Moon, I saw them purely as cousins. The other possiblity never dawned on me, because I didn't know such a thing existed. When I was old enough to use the internet and looked up Sailor Moon on wikipedia, I was surprised to learn about the "true nature" of their relationship, and learned what homosexuality is. And you know what? I wasn't "scarred" or "disturbed" or "confused." I felt like some things finally made sense, and lo and behold, they became some of my favorite characters in any form of fiction. They were the only "example" of this that I had for the longest time. There is no reason other kids shouldn't have a positive (read: a not stereotyped or flamobyant) role model.

Also, since snomaster1 seems to want to protect children's innocence from romance and sexuality, why are they okay with the portayal of Usagi and Mamoru's relationship, while Michiru and Haruka's might be upsetting? Usagi and Mamoru actually kiss, go on dates, profess their love, etc. Wouldn't this be the more "upsetting" relationship, if we're trying to keep children's media kid-friendly and all...?

Last edited by roseversailles on Thu May 16, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the myriad of responses to my posts and there are those who think I'm a modern day Archie Bunker or some knuckle-dragging neanderthal who should be dragged into the twenty-first century kicking and screaming. I'm going to list some of the themes of the major responses and respond to them. And they are:

1."He's a homophobe!":In all of my posts on this website,I've never attacked anyone due to their sexual orientation. That would be wrong and unseemly. It doesn't matter to me if your homosexual or not. I keep my private life private and I think that so should other people. Unless there's some extraordinary reason to do so,people should also keep their private life private.
I might like not like stuff like yaoi and yuri manga but those are my tastes. But,characters like Imara and Michelle (The English language names of Sailor Uranus and Neptune) are a pretty difficult thing for those who cater to kids. Again,it's a Japanese show and it was largely made for a Japanese audience and I'm not going to fault those who chose to do those kind of edits.

But,North America wasn't the only place where Sailor Uranus and Neptune's relationship was changed. When "Sailor Moon" was brought to Latin America,they also changed it to cousins,but I doubt that anyone here is going to quibble with the decisions of the Latin American distributors of how they edited "Sailor Moon" for their market,just those in the North American market.
In most situations,I think that a parent's judgment should count. If they don't want homosexual or lesbian content in children's cartoons,then that's the way it should be. I'm not going to scream at others because their opinions are different than mine.

2.The Role Model Card:I admit that this is the hardest one to respond to. Role Models are a great thing to have,whether they're black,white,Asian,whatever. Imara and Michelle are seen as role models in the homosexual community and there are those that feel that shouldn't have been changed. Again,I'm not going to quibble with DIC/Cloverway with the way they did their English dub.
The world may be a different place now than it was in 1995 but I think the opinions of most parents haven't changed all that much in the years since. And I think they should be respected alongside those of the fanboys and girls.

3.Those who are Homosexual:I have no problems with homosexuals or lesbians. I haven't attacked anyone's sexual orientation on any of my posts here in the forums. But,there are also homosexuals and lesbians who feel the way I do,that there are some things that should be kept private. If you want to announce that,I'm not going to stop you. But,if you want to keep your sexual orientation private,then that's your choice and I'm going to respect that as well.

This has been an interesting discussion. Smile I hope we can continue this in the future.
kamui85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
they keep anouncing it as a "new anime" and people imedeatly think of it as a full blown up series. "new anime" could be anything, and ova, oad, movie etc. look what happend with kenshin and the shin kyoto hen... jeez...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
they keep anouncing it as a "new anime" and people imedeatly think of it as a full blown up series. "new anime" could be anything, and ova, oad, movie etc. look what happend with kenshin and the shin kyoto hen... jeez...
Does Toei want to be run over by nerds?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that it will not be any of those things, but an actual serialized series, on day one.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
I can't find the source other than Moonkitty.net (maybe Osabu's twitter?), but it was recently reported the new anime will be released anywhere from November 2013 to January 2014.

And those new artbooks (apparently more than 1) are being delayed until 2014.

burgersaurus wrote:
i am gay and you have no idea how much michiru and haruka meant to me as i was growing up.

Here, here! Smile I watched the Japanese fansubs first, but their relationship helped reassure me that there's nothing "abnormal" about me being Bi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9