• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clanning Up

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
All the points Bamboo is making are right. When I watch anime that are supposed to have adults taking action, I want them to look older with more gaunt faces and smaller eyes, and above all to act their age.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't really think loudly arguing in the face of obvious reality is necessary. These characters are very typical moe types; they look like young adolescents and behave like children.

I shall agree that, taking into account their bodily proportions as well as their faces, their appearance is best summarised as that of a young adolescent. Deeming their behaviour childlike is a justifiable stance as well.

That said, all the arguments you present more accurately lead to the conclusion that the characters in question are childlike and not children. To be at a low age -which I posit is less than 17 (I do not here use 'child' in a legal context)- is a necessary condition for being the latter. A condition which the characters, despite their faces and actions, do not meet according to the plotlines of their shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Enough to be completely fluent in the English language no less. I would not expect a normal Japanese child to be fluent in English.

This is a weak argument. English is taught at a progressively younger age each year all over Asia. Lots of kids can speak English fluently/semi-fluently. My roommate's 11-year-old cousin, who lives in rural China, speaks fluent English to me. It's more common than you'd think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Btw, are you implying that all bilingual children somehow aren't children?

What sort of idiotic statement is that? I used the term "average Japanese child" and the language "English" for a reason. Because there aren't many children in Japan that can fluently speak English.

I was just being a dick to see how you'd respond. Because I thought your original comment was a terrible excuse as to why Kotomi wasn't childish.

Quote:
And honestly, what makes you think Kotomi looks like a child?

Really? Really?

-pic- of Japanese pre-teen

You dunce. Just because anime characters don't look like real-life humans doesn't mean they can't resemble a caricature of a human.

Kotomi looks like an ANIME CHILD.

Look at the way grownups are drawn in anime. Look at the way children are drawn in anime.

Which do Kyou/Tomoyo/Kotomi most resemble? The children.

Show me a 17 year old in real life that looks like Kyou, Tomoyo, or Kotomi. And no, cosplayers do not count.

First off, you did not say that Kotomi was childish, you said that she was a child. Do you honestly not comprehend the difference between those two?

That picture doesn't really look much of anything like Kotomi to be honest. Other than face structure, I suppose you could make a case for that.

Just curious, why wouldn't cosplayers count? If the age is the only factor, I certainly could show you plenty of 17+ cosplayers who look like them. Why rule them out?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

First off, you did not say that Kotomi was childish, you said that she was a child. Do you honestly not comprehend the difference between those two?

Okay fine, she's childish. Which is the whole purpose of moe shows. Why does it matter if she's 17 if she looks and acts like a child? For all intents and purposes, they are made to be pseudo-children, who are scripted to be 17.

Quote:
Just curious, why wouldn't cosplayers count? If the age is the only factor, I certainly could show you plenty of 17+ cosplayers who look like them. Why rule them out?

Because cosplayers go out of their way to make themselves look like a character. It's like in TV shows where they get 24-year-olds to play 17-year-olds. So you show a picture of a 17-year-old who makes themselves up to look like a 17-year-old who looks like a 12-year-old? What's the point in that?
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Okay fine, she's childish. Which is the whole purpose of moe shows. Why does it matter if she's 17 if she looks and acts like a child? For all intents and purposes, they are made to be pseudo-children, who are scripted to be 17.

There's a hell of a big difference. Really, -really- big difference. I'm absolutely positive I'm opening myself up to staff-snark here, but I get called young-at-heart all the time, and most people online have mistaken me for in my early-to-middle teens in instant chat. I just have a childish personality at times. Hell, even offline I still look young enough to get carded for a 17+ manga or video game.

Does that make me a child? Or something some lolicon would get off to? No, because I'm not some prepubescent moeblob, and neither are the Key girls.

Incidentally, though, this thread has done an amazing job of making the ANN anti-moe/loli bias clearer than I ever thought possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Incidentally, though, this thread has done an amazing job of making the ANN anti-moe/loli bias clearer than I ever thought possible.

Please give me an example of statements that are 'anti-moe' rather than simply arguing a point.

Stating a fact - that these characters are moe archetypes and then explaining what that is - is not 'anti-moe'.

Bamboo has to restate over and over again that she really likes these shows because people like you take any statement that can be interpreted as maybe being mildly negative as some kind of attack.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

There's a hell of a big difference. Really, -really- big difference. I'm absolutely positive I'm opening myself up to staff-snark here, but I get called young-at-heart all the time, and most people online have mistaken me for in my early-to-middle teens in instant chat. I just have a childish personality at times. Hell, even offline I still look young enough to get carded for a 17+ manga or video game.

There's a difference between being "young-at-heart" and hiding behind people's arms because you're afraid to say hello.

Quote:

Right, the bias is obvious, especially since I publicly announced that I like Clannad, and that I absolutely love Air.

That makes a lot of sense.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Stating a fact - that these characters are moe archetypes

That's not a fact - it's an opinion.

I'm wondering why there was so much hostility here to people that support the series and want it to be popular. It's only natural to want a favorite series to succeed. I mean, I never expected Princess Tutu to be a Naruto-level success in sales, but I at least hoped it would do decently well despite the casual anime fan's usual objections to the title and the perception as "too girly" or whatever else. Probably didn't do any near as well as I would have hoped, but that's just how things end up... (doesn't make it wrong to want it to be different) I've been hoping Clannad will at least do well enough given some of the online hype around it, though I honestly don't expect it to be a big hit either.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ANN's "anti-moe bias" seems to be brought up fairly often, and to be fair, I can kind of understand why some people see things that way. Yes, I know that ANN has done multiple positive reviews of moe shows, and that in this particular case, Bamboo liked Clannad. But...

There is a term that is used a lot: "guilty pleasure". I'm sure most people know exactly what that term means, but in case someone here doesn't... It's those things that people like, but that they shouldn't like. Those things that on on some level they wonder why they watch/read. To describe something as a guilty pleasure is to say that you like it, but at the same time somehow demean it. A very strange term.

Thus, there's a big difference between saying "I really love show X, it's a guilty pleasure of mine" and saying "I really love show X, it's a great show."

Now, I know the exact term guilty pleasure wasn't used in this article, and I'm not sure it's ever been used by ANN staffers in regards to moe shows. But at times, the tone of reviews of moe shows does bring that term to my mind. To quote Bamboo, she said her love of these shows was "a sick addiction." Now, I'm sure she wasn't entirely serious about that, but that does imply that there's somehow something... wrong with these shows. And some other reviews have given similar impressions.

That I think is what annoys moe fans. That a genre they love and feel is just as valid a genre as any other is equated as something only worthy of being a "guilty pleasure."
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

That I think is what annoys moe fans. That a genre they love and feel is just as valid a genre as any other is equated as something only worthy of being a "guilty pleasure."

I think what annoys me most is the generalization of "moe fans" in general. As if everything of this supposed genre is the exact same, and that these "moe fans" eat up everything that comes out. I mean I've come across plenty of stuff that has really boring archetypal characters to me (Sister Princess is one that comes to mind for me, where I never got interest to get past the first volume because of it), and more often probably than things that are plain awesome like Clannad. It doesn't help that a lot of comments about these types of series I tend to catch (from what I've seen in some reviews, like with Nanoha) seem to be directed against the target audience of the show rather than the show itself. I may not be happy with how fans of some of the shows I like act, but what's it got to do with the show itself?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I think what annoys me most is the generalization of "moe fans" in general. As if everything of this supposed genre is the exact same, and that these "moe fans" eat up everything that comes out.

I don't think ANN has ever once said that all moe shows are alike, or that all "moe fans" like shows solely because they're moe.

Even in my own reviews, I've mentioned my love for shows like Air, Clannad, and Kanon, which I *do* tend to lump together because I think thematically, they're similar, and artistically, they're very similar. At the same time, I've expressed my dislike for shows like Shuffle and Sister Princess. I wouldn't dream of lumping all of these shows into the same pile, and I don't think there's a single reviewer at ANN who would do so.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I think part of the problem has been that I haven't been quite clear in regards to how I view the female cast of Clannad. I've repeated several times that I don't think they're kids, but I haven't stated what it is that I think they are. I agree with Bamboo that they are not adults. But there's a transitory period between childhood and adulthood. In Spanish we use the word "joven", and in English I think the equivalent is "young adult".

I think the female cast (minus Fuuko) look like young adults.

As a picture example. Here's an anime about girls in high school who I think look like kids.

Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight

Now, compare that to some of the girls from Clannad:

Can you see the distinction between that of children, and that of young adults? I'd say Tomoyo or Kotomi or Kyou are drawn no more childlike than say, Kaname Chidori from FMP!, who is a highschooler.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
At the same time, I've expressed my dislike for shows like Shuffle and Sister Princess. I wouldn't dream of lumping all of these shows into the same pile, and I don't think there's a single reviewer at ANN who would do so.

I wasn't talking about you or any one person in particular here. It's just more of my perception of the attitude of some fans that are against bishoujo game-based shows in general, as if they are all the same and automatically filled with bland, uninteresting "moe" stereotypes no matter what (my opinion on whether they are varies from title to title, and I won't argue any further here specifically). Perhaps my perception is wrong, and in talking about Clannad, I'll admit I'm very biased because it has become one of my favorites.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Sara edited out her Betty Boop link before I could respond to it. Why all the hate for Betty? But I'm sure that's another thread (and yes, I'm being ironic. I know exactly why some people want to censor certain works of art as has been done with other historically significant cartoons--burn it, and they'll never know it existed...).

But the primary point here is why is anyone arguing against the fact that these anime girls are depicted as physically younger than they are? The animation style, the design, not to mention the personality in most cases, would most often place them as 13 or maybe 14, if not 12, in any survey conducted in America.

They are designed that way for a specific audience, the Japanese otaku. The majority of them don't faithfully represent to any degree normal Japanese high school girls that I've seen. Lucky Star's designs parody this very practice, IMHO never having heard it directly from an artist's mouth. I don't know what would inform Manabi Straight's designs besides pandering to lolicons. I watched it. I don't care how old they say they are, they are the same age as the girls in Strawberry Marshmallow, and it's not parody in any sense of the word.

The Clannad girls (and yes the those of the dreaded Shuffle!) more resemble high school girls than the Kanon girls, but they all look underage, and some act that way as well. Part is attributable to exaggeration for creating a more interesting character, but again, look at that target audience.

But forget that. Look at the merchandise, the doujinshi, and easiest of all, spend some time googling Internet images of your favorite shows. Even the ones that shouldn't be loli... I can't download 80% of the images I might find of romcom/harem characters because they are drawn literally as prepubescents--the standard definition. Nothing is less convincing than a 10 year old with D Cups. Not convincing certainly to the jury that will convict me in the U.S. today for downloading them onto my harddrive.

That part isn't about art or entertainment, though entertainment was certainly the anime creators' intention. Overall, it's about selling product. And that targeted demographic wants cute, vulnerable, shy, big-eyed little girls, except when they want a tsundere to treat them badly for a change.

Get real.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16