• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
crap lol I wasn't here fast enough to say
"inb4 sub fanatics"

lem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I have found some English dubs that are just as entertaining for me as the "original, not extra crispy" version, but based on this trailer, I can tell you this one will never be amongst them. Christine Marie Cabanos sounds like an adult woman trying to imitate a child. And trying very hard at that. ugh. no thanks.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, because the Japanese don't have EVERY GODDAMN GIRL sounding like she's 5

Oh wait

THEY DO

Jesus christ sub fans are the most hypocritical people I have ever metal

Also Cabanos sounds adorable in this you crazy son
zeopower6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yeah, because the Japanese don't have EVERY GODDAMN GIRL sounding like she's 5

Oh wait

THEY DO

Jesus christ sub fans are the most hypocritical people I have ever metal

Also Cabanos sounds adorable in this you crazy son

Quite a few characters/seiyuu would like a word with you because they don't sound five at all! Anime dazed

I think that dubs simply tend to leave a bad taste in most people's mouth, which is understandable since often times they really never live up to the original voice cast. It's possible that it's because a lot of dub actors tend to essentially use the same voice for every character they play?

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't like Christina Vee?

A LOT of people dislike her. I was surprised that a lot of the amateur/professional VAs I know hate her guts.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
It's possible that it's because a lot of dub actors tend to essentially use the same voice for every character they play?

But a heck of a lot of Seiyuu also use the same or fairly similar voice for most of their characters, so I don't think that's the case.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Hmm. None of the English voices stood out as particularly terrible, though with the trailer being brief and focusing mostly on the lighter parts of the series it's hard to judge too much right now. I'll doubt I'll be watching the series dubbed much regardless, though, as once I get used to certain voices for characters, I tend to prefer to hear those voices for them and take a while to adjust to a different language track.

As for the trailer being a poor indication of what the series is actually like, well, I agree that's unfortunate, though it is pretty much a copy of the Japanese trailer. It's tough to make a good trailer for this series. Obviously any trailer is meaningless to anyone who's already watched the series (other than for the purpose of getting a preview of the dub), and for those who haven't seen the series already, the trailer shouldn't give away too much. Or else the experience of watching the series and the surprise at what happens will be ruined somewhat.

Still, it seems like it would be possible to make a trailer that showed some of the anime's awesomeness without giving away too much. At the very least, some of the cool visual elements could be shown off. The very first episode's first sequence was a surreal dream world, so it's not like showing some scenes of the Witches' Mazes or something would completely spoil the series. And they would help provide more of a hook than this trailer does.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
I think that dubs simply tend to leave a bad taste in most people's mouth, which is understandable since often times they really never live up to the original voice cast. It's possible that it's because a lot of dub actors tend to essentially use the same voice for every character they play?

It's more that people are too used to hearing the Japanese voices and hearing any English voices on familiar characters is bound to sound weird. That's why with new English dubs I tend to go to the people who had never seen the show before for their opinion on what the dub is like.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:

A LOT of people dislike her. I was surprised that a lot of the amateur/professional VAs I know hate her guts.

So are we talking dislike as a person or dislike as in voice acting performance?
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:

That may be the case for you, but I do not share this viewpoint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
zeopower6 wrote:
It's possible that it's because a lot of dub actors tend to essentially use the same voice for every character they play?

But a heck of a lot of Seiyuu also use the same or fairly similar voice for most of their characters, so I don't think that's the case.

I think it's also more difficult for non-Japan residents to discern when an adult Japanese woman is trying to imitate a child and trying very hard at that. (My Japanese friends claim they could and, boy, do they let me know about it - they make fun of me when I cannot do it........ Laughing )
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
Not to throw another log in this flame(that flame being the oh-so-overbeaten-dead horse-argument of "subs vs dubs"), but I, personally, felt that the voice acting featured in this trailer sounded emotionally contrived and completely unconvincing. I'm NOT saying that applies to all dubbed anime.

I think the trailer sort of depicted this as being a slice of life show, and then did an abrupt 360 and displayed the supernatural, magical, science fiction elements.

dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
It's the second highest-selling Anime series of all time (on a per volume basis)

You sure? I thought it just had the second-highest(Bakemonogatari being number 1) BD sales in the first week.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
It's the second highest-selling Anime series of all time (on a per volume basis)

You sure? I thought it just had the second-highest(Bakemonogatari being number 1) BD sales in the first week.

Go back to the previous page and read my post below the one you quoted. Just so you know, it's the last post of the page. In it, I give a link to my source of information, and I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the figures.

Please read the entire thread rather than spotting something you want to comment on and then skipping ahead to posting without checking that your question has already been answered in later posts. 'Kay?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
^Someone woke up on the wrong side of the computer desk. I didn't see the issue addressed in later posts, and, while skimming, I didn't see your edit which provided the link; hence, the reason I asked the question. And if you thought I was implying your source lacked validity, what was point of directing me to the comment? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Your first paragraph would have sufficed. I didn't require the pseudo-moderating.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
You mean to say, whilst skimming you weren't reading posts properly, and you either ignored my follow-up post completely even though I may have had more to say about it (which I did), or you read part of my post but didn't bother to read the edit that existed for seven whole hours before you posted yourself.

I was not pseudo-moderating, I was giving some advice in a neutral (read: non-hostile) manner. You're the one who is grumpy if you snap at someone whom you ignored and then spurned his offer of some friendly and useful advice.

Oh, and it was fairly obvious that it was a case of you missing the link rather than doubting the source. Why even ask it (if only rhetorically)? But don't answer that; it's a rhetorical question itself.
lilly_938

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't like Christina Vee?
It made me cringe when I heard her Mio (I haven't even finished watching the show dubbed because of it), and hearing her as Homura wasn't any better...I fear for the emotional parts.

By far I don't hate dubs, hell, I usually like them. There are only a handful of shows in which I have stopped watching the dubs (Mai-Hime being on the forefront).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14