• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:00 am Reply with quote
I hope this won't affect the physical releases in the negative or lead to them phasing them out entirely in favor of streaming. I collect discs. I like discs. I can replay discs whenever I feel like. Internet goes down? Still got discs. Series leaves streaming? Got the discs. Want to watch uncensored? Discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:16 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Contact support about getting your annual subscription moved over (only for annual subs)

"If you have an annual Funimation Subscription, don’t worry you won’t miss out. We can add any time you have left on that subscription to your new or existing Crunchyroll account.

Please provide both your current Funimation account email address and your current Crunchyroll account email address and we’ll get you taken care of.

If you have not created your Crunchyroll account yet, please do that here before replying, otherwise, we won’t be able to assist you."

What should I do if I have a yearly Funimation subscription but I already have Crunchyroll synced up through VRV?
kingoilers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:34 am Reply with quote
Well it end of an long era for this brand.I still do not understand the doom and gloom for some it was bound to happen.

Honestly we see if the JP companies have a problem with this might give other streaming services a chance.

At the end let's us enjoy the golden age of anime.
kingoilers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:37 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I hope this won't affect the physical releases in the negative or lead to them phasing them out entirely in favor of streaming. I collect discs. I like discs. I can replay discs whenever I feel like. Internet goes down? Still got discs. Series leaves streaming? Got the discs. Want to watch uncensored? Discs.

This is out of their hands because the JP companies are see a decline in Physical so it might be the JP companies leasing their releases(do not see them phasing out completely)
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:45 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Oh, you will tell. Change in tone of translations, removal of certain series cause it goes against standards... you know, the stuff that gave Funi its toxic reputation in the first place. Just looking through the responses it looks like they will be basing things in CR hq in Cali rather than Funi in Dallas

I never had issues with Tone in Translations... Never noticed the difference...

Only series that was removed because it did not meet the standards was Interspecies Reviewers... IN which the Series WAs pretty extremely border lines.. SO I can partially understand Funi's case... EVEN the Japanese Government got involved with issues with the series... so you know they crossed some bad lines...

AnimeLab went out of their way to continue subbing IR after Funi dumped it, then when they were folded in they were told to take it off AL before it was shuttered. The series was average, but the fact they did it rang alarm bells for me, as in Aussies have different viewing standards and we were being dictated too. After that I noticed a lot of the ratings were being jacked up too, like Wonder Egg Priority was M15+ on AL then suddenly R18+ on Funi, a 2 rating jump
Shippou_Incognito

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
SO How will one be able to tell if it is controlled by Dallas or not?

Oh, you will tell. Change in tone of translations, removal of certain series cause it goes against standards... you know, the stuff that gave Funi its toxic reputation in the first place. Just looking through the responses it looks like they will be basing things in CR hq in Cali rather than Funi in Dallas

This.

When it comes to the bottom line, the new top level will fix what was broken, because the dub market sector took the biggest hit due to a few childish, narcissistic Brutus pretending to change the world as they see fit will be shown the door, while their little coworker cultists can follow them out or grow up if they really want to stick around.

But the smarter ones have expanded their brand and have learned from some of their stupidity, since they could see the writing on the wall that this was coming. They have something to fall back on.

Will they go quietly?

They can still keep the drama going on by dragging out and on what ongoing litigation issues they are still stirring because they think they represent some righteous cause.
Arbalisk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:09 am Reply with quote
Dam that sucks. layoff here they come. Honeslty Sony should have just gone back to that lincenas agreement funimation and crunchyroll once shared. Funimation for dubs and crunchy roll for subs. And just combines the storefronts into one company. That way they would still make more money from two services while they fixed the horrible interface for dubs in crunchy roll and then slowly. But board memenbers dint think, I’m pretty sure they just woke up and said it sounds cool to say we have anime in one place, without thinking I’d the nightmare logistics if this change.
Sony took a very premeditated approached. sony still has to figure out a lot stuff. like how port over user data to crunchy roll such as watch history, favorites, queues, figure out how to implement digital copies from funimation to crunchy roll which crunchy roll currently hasn’t no implementatio whatsoever. figure out the store front too. since crunchy roll and funimation have two different store front that sell goods and home media, also dubbing studio. so in the mean time while they figure stuff out everything will still be the same.but is a stupid decision if you ask me. they should have kept it as two separate companies and funimation should have been kept for dubs and crunchy roll for subs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they later retract this decision like Netflix did with qwikster.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:25 am Reply with quote
Arbalisk wrote:
Dam that sucks. layoff here they come. Honeslty Sony should have just gone back to that lincenas agreement funimation and crunchyroll once shared. Funimation for dubs and crunchy roll for subs. And just combines the storefronts into one company. That way they would still make more money from two services while they fixed the horrible interface for dubs in crunchy roll and then slowly. But board memenbers dint think, I’m pretty sure they just woke up and said it sounds cool to say we have anime in one place, without thinking I’d the nightmare logistics if this change.
Sony took a very premeditated approached. sony still has to figure out a lot stuff. like how port over user data to crunchy roll such as watch history, favorites, queues, figure out how to implement digital copies from funimation to crunchy roll which crunchy roll currently hasn’t no implementatio whatsoever. figure out the store front too. since crunchy roll and funimation have two different store front that sell goods and home media, also dubbing studio. so in the mean time while they figure stuff out everything will still be the same.but is a stupid decision if you ask me. they should have kept it as two separate companies and funimation should have been kept for dubs and crunchy roll for subs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they later retract this decision like Netflix did with qwikster.

Layoffs are a sad reality of any merger, unfortunately, and especially in the current upheaval of the job market right now.

As for keeping separate storefronts, that would entail running two stores with two names, when it's just easier to run everything in the same spot. One stop shopping. There will likely be a lot of growing pains (look at all the people bombarding CR customer service about their yearly FUNi subscriptions) but I presume this is easier than having two brands and causing customer confusion.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:07 am Reply with quote
I've already cancelled my Funimation subscription and I'm not going on to CR.
Done is done.
AZLeafCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

2. This has been brought up by others, but how will simuldubs be treated? Right now I'm watching the My Dress-Up Darling and Demon Slayer Entertainment District simuldubs, but that makes things particularly stressful for me because both of those are Aniplex shows. I'm assuming Aniplex and AoA content in general will make the move over to Crunchyroll since they're under the umbrella as well, but I'd imagine that would be another licensing nightmare.

Both My Dress Up Darling and Demon Slayer Entertainment District simuldubs have been streaming on Crunchyroll prior to yesterday’s announcement that Crunchyroll would be the main service going forward. Funimation and Crunchyroll started sharing the dubs and dubs to select new shows since the Fall 2021 season, including Ranking of Kings and Demon Slayer Mugen Train Arc. Many AoA and Aniplex licensed shows not previously on Crunchyroll have been added this week.

The simuldubs should continue as is on Crunchyroll. Though I hope Crunchyroll eventually adds English CC captioning for dubs going forward.

Hopefully the email with the Crunchyroll 60 day trial will have a expiration date.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:29 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
What should I do if I have a yearly Funimation subscription but I already have Crunchyroll synced up through VRV?

Per their website, VRV is also going the way of the dodo, so you should cancel your VRV sub, have them add what's left of your Funimation sub to Crunchy, and then sub to Crunchyroll from now on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arbalisk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:34 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've already cancelled my Funimation subscription and I'm not going on to CR.
Done is done.

I hear you, I won’t cancelled my funimation subscription since I will still the old catalogued but I’m not gonna signed up for crunchy roll. As dumb as it sounds. Funimation brand been pretty much part of my life. I remember going to suncoast with my dad to preorder the VHS releases of dragon ball z. My dad ordering pizza and going to the liquor store to get some iced cold soda cans. My dad popping in the VHS And seeing the red circle and blue back Colored with the star funimation logo. I wonder how gen fukunaga feels about his company essentially disappearing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
I am glad that Funi is finally doing something about getting a better video player as my experience is that CR has a better one than Funi. However, I do wish that Funi didn't have foreign streaming services unless they were Funi-owned from the start. Also, the lay-offs are going to suck for those affected. So, I am happy and disappointed with such a plan.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I am glad that Funi is finally doing something about getting a better video player as my experience is that CR has a better one than Funi. However, I do wish that Funi didn't have foreign streaming services unless they were Funi-owned from the start. Also, the lay-offs are going to suck for those affected. So, I am happy and disappointed with such a plan.

Funi actually had access to a good player but Funi did what Funi does... Instead of folding in the AnimeLab player they tried to improve their own when the services merged last year
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
Shippou_Incognito wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
SO How will one be able to tell if it is controlled by Dallas or not?

This.

When it comes to the bottom line, the new top level will fix what was broken, because the dub market sector took the biggest hit due to a few childish, narcissistic Brutus pretending to change the world as they see fit will be shown the door, while their little coworker cultists can follow them out or grow up if they really want to stick around.

But the smarter ones have expanded their brand and have learned from some of their stupidity, since they could see the writing on the wall that this was coming. They have something to fall back on.

Will they go quietly?

They can still keep the drama going on by dragging out and on what ongoing litigation issues they are still stirring because they think they represent some righteous cause.

Now that’s some projection.
For the rest of us in reality having everything available under one roof and subscription is well and good, but doesn’t address any of the actual industry problems like underpaid work, low staffing, and badly outsourced tech. Especially if this merger comes with a round of layoffs as things are consolidated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13