• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 2nd Part

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
So, where was Lilia keeping that box with her?

Did Aisha know the entire time? I feel like it was just something she figured out by the end to show her intelligence.

@maximilianjenus thank you for the geography lesson, definitely helps put the world map in perspective Smile

jdnation wrote:
I do wish there'd be a bit more emphasis on Lilia seeing Rudeus finally, as it's been a long time, and while they have their great little moment to the side, it would've been good to have a small moment of them finally seeing each other again for the first time.

Same thinking here. It was like two old acquaintances meeting again after some time rather then family.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:26 am Reply with quote
Aisha and Lillia's relationship gives me intense mixed feelings. It's obvious that Lillia loves her daughter and cares about her (stuff like her rubbing her head as they waved goodbye was sweet) but the things she is forcing this 6 year old child to learn all of the purpose of essentially making her her step son's slave made unable to be endeared to any aspect of Aisha's personality as it explanation behind it makes me uncomfortable and makes me wish that Aisha had actually just gone with Rudeus or literally any other parental figure.

The whole Roxy figure spiel also made me uncomfortable with how Rudeus made it without her permission and so detailed too down to showing the colour of her undies and I just don't even know what to say.

Zanoba is a character, but in a different way from his brother. He's kind of an awful person with how he can casually give his staff away for a figurine even fully knowing how bad his brother treats them, not to talk of the whole head ripping thing (wow, that was an impressively uncomfortable several minutes, but in a good way!) but he also shows lots of promise in his murderhobo tendencies and loyalty to Rudeus. It's probably for the best that he got exiled though, Ruijerd and Eris are already handfuls.

Speaking of those two I'm super sad they didn't actually get to assault a castle, poor Ruijerd looked so disappointed, there better be a castle for then to assault in the future!!
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:32 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

@maximilianjenus thank you for the geography lesson, definitely helps put the world map in perspective Smile
@maximilianjenus also thanks, i assumed it was based on a real map but nothing seemed logical.

The thing that surprised me the most was finding out Zanoba was the kid born with the magical powers that the female guard and Aisha spoke about. I had assumed there was going to be another kid like Rudy, Re-incarnated from another world. This whole Rudy getting captured plot could have been a whole 3 episode saga instead, the creators said nah, we going to sweep it under the rug, it felt intentional like a specific type of comedy (which i can't think the name of).

I also felt like Aisha kind of grew up quickly not only because of her mom but because of being trapped in the castle for a year with the perverted prince. Her mom was probably still hooking up with Paul, so I also doubt she didn't see/hear that stuff.

The thing that i don't get is how the cards didn't perform a coup d'état. if its a well known thing were the only reason you follow someone's orders is they are threating everyone's family it wouldn't take much to gather a bunch soldiers together and off him.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
Apparently the advertisement for the Roxy figurine was from the novels, so the fact that it could so well service advertising an actual, real life, figurine down to the detachable clothes is hilarious. Zanoba is a true prince of culture.

I figured if Aisha didn't know all along then she figured it out with all the slip-ups of Rudeu's names from Zanoba or Eris. I'm glad she was able to regain respect for her brother and see him off happily, compared to Norn.

Oof. Zanoba is a figurine Otaku with superhuman strength. I really thought he was going to rip Pax's head clean off or at least kill him when his arms went limp.

Good of Lilia to keep the sacred relic as well as Sylphie's gift for Rudy with her (somehow). Now Rudy has something to remind him of Roxy and Sylphie.

Things are going so well so I guess we've got to deal with the next Turning Point. Poor Rudy.
Picky33 wrote:
I also felt like Aisha kind of grew up quickly not only because of her mom but because of being trapped in the castle for a year with the perverted prince. Her mom was probably still hooking up with Paul, so I also doubt she didn't see/hear that stuff.

I don't think Paul ever fooled around with Lilia again after making her his 2nd wife. He suggested it to Rudy and Rudy told him Zenith would probably leave him if he did it again. I mean, he would've been lucky if sex with Zenith was as frequent as it used to be after what happened.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
...I figured if Aisha didn't know all along then she figured it out with all the slip-ups of Rudeu's names from Zanoba or Eris....
Seriously! Eris can't keep a secret worth beans, I was only surprised at Aisha because in a lot of shows, the characters aren't supposed to catch on. Another symptom of good writing...Also, had to laugh at Aisha's line "if a young girl begs sweetly, the adults will take care of the rest". This is how you know this is a fantasy show because if she did that with a random person in a lot of places IRL, the adults would take care of her all right...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Apparently the advertisement for the Roxy figurine was from the novels, so the fact that it could so well service advertising an actual, real life, figurine down to the detachable clothes is hilarious.

Doubt it was coincidence even if it was from the novels. Episode 20 showing the figure aired Sunday November 28th, pre-orders for the figure went up November 29th. Best way to think is there's a strong synergy at work here, merchandise, novel, anime teams must have cooperated to a high degree to make it happen.

Such synergies are the bread and butter of the anime/otaku market in general, and this is a textbook case.
Wouldn't mind reading an article that offers a more in-depth view into workings of such cases...
Kibako

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
Oh boy they sure went all out with episode 10 and delivered such a climax. Still getting goosebumps despite being novel reader. Kenjirou Tsuda's edgy voice being abused to its maximum ngl.
Telu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this week's episode...
Studio Bind very cool.

POV: You're a Hitogami Apostle

Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Big spoiler for why Orsted knew the others but not Rudeus, if someone is curious;
spoiler[One of his curses is he lives in a timeloop, and Rudeus wasn't present in the other loops.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Was watching the dub of Ep15 and again impressed by the planning/writing as the last line from Rudeus about the 7 Powers "...if we took on someone even Rujird couldn't beat, there's no way we'd make it out alive..." If only we knew then...

Also getting a kick about names such as Orsted (Oersted), a famous scientist of the last century specializing in magnetism and of course the great mathematician Laplace. The Wikia also mentions Kalman, an American engineer in my field that invented the famous filter of the same name in 1962. I think the writer had a bent toward science and engineering...
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
That was a baffling, lovely episode. For all its faults, this show never really falters on the execution, especially when it counts. Nice to get a bit more of a glimpse into the world's superstructure, although it feels like it's going to take a long time for any of these tidbits about the Mushoku universe to piece together into anything coherent.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Big spoiler for why Orsted knew the others but not Rudeus, if someone is curious;
spoiler[One of his curses is he lives in a timeloop, and Rudeus wasn't present in the other loops.]

Interesting, and it does explain a lot. How deep would we have to get into the story for that detail to come up, though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Interesting, and it does explain a lot. How deep would we have to get into the story for that detail to come up, though?

At volume 17 (official English release is at volume 14).
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20: Kind of a truncated conclusion, but I can't imagine that spending more time on the details of the chapters in Shirone would have benefitted the show in the long run. They did a decent job of establishing Zanoba and presenting Rudeus's moments with Aisha and Lilia, which were the important bits considering that the anime would need to get like 5 more cours for Pax to show up again.
It also just hit me that Rudeus's fake name ("Shadow Moon Knight") is a reference to Sailor Moon.

Episode 21: Once again, I love what the anime staff have done with the visual design of the setting. Details like the look of that mountain village at the start of the episode does so much to convey distance traveled and add character to the world. The action animation being good is nothing new, but I don't think Mushoku Tensei has spent so much time on a fight in a single location before. In a show that's often been about movement and vistas, it's impressive that the pacing doesn't lag with just six characters in such a simple space.
Given how it's described in the LN and referred to in later books, I expected the spell that scrapes Orsted's hand to have more of a shonen action-style buildup, but the more grounded use of time the anime went with definitely serves the story better.
My favorite character from the LNs is now presumably out of the anime after a grand total of four lines (three this episode, one back in episode 2), but that was pretty much inevitable.

The most interesting thing about this set of episodes to me is that we still have two episodes to go at this point. Even if the anime brings in more side stories, that still leads me to expect much more of a denouement than most anime can find time for.
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Iirc, spoiler[it's not a curse, but a method invented by his race to go against Human God? And the "being hated by every living creatures" is the side effect of that method or smth like that.]

Still, we may need a season 3 to reach that part though. My copium is season 2 will end with spoiler["Rudeus got his ass wrecked by Orsted part 2".]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11