• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Well the music, sound effects, and general mood of the episode was to not take it seriously. It seemed more like yet another parody they've done before, only rather than make fun of shippers it's maybe sad fanfiction.

I love "The Beach," it's one of my favorite episodes from Book 3, and I've listened to the commentary track as well as read interviews with the creators about the characters in general.

The episode was designed to be funny, but it also was meant to highlight how awkward Azula is in ordinary social situations, and how insecure she is about that. She doesn't know how to act in a casual party with other kids her age; she can't even figure out how to give a guy she likes a normal compliment, and he's frightened off real quick.

A:TLA often used humor and subtly to get major points across. "The Headband" used humor to show how an Imperialistic nation can indoctrinate children into believing in its wars through revisionist history (in class, the kids are taught that "Sozin defeated the Air Nation army." When Aang points out that the Air Nomads were pacifists who never had an army, the teacher accuses him of lying. You can see Aang's disappointment etched on his face).

As for Azula being abandoned by her father in the finale: spoiler[her reaction to being told to stay home is to scream: "You can't do this to me! You can't treat me like Zuko!. Her face is filled with panic, but her father is uncaring. She does not seem all that mollified by being offered the Fire Nation thrown. After all, in the wake of her father's victory, he will be King over the entire world. Instead of being by his side, she'll be regulated to just another post. ]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Yeah I see you getting defensive over the fact the writers made Zuko very similar to Vegeta and you have to turn that around by arguing who subjectively did it better.

Well you can have turn a blind eye to the fact that Avatar borrows(is that word better for you) a lot from existing franchises. Honestly if you can look at the Fusion Dance and the Dragon Dance and the characters involved and still not see how Avatar or various characters are derivative then there is no reason to reply to me any more because you can't even admit observable facts.

You obviously seem to purposely miss what I am saying.

The ONLY reason I brought up Vegeta as a comparison to Zuko was because someone else brought it up FIRST on this thread. I wasn't even originally replying to you but since you replied to me I replied back. Maybe that was my mistake.

I hardly see how Zuko was purposely made similar to Vegeta. One minute you say they are too different to compare. Now you are trying to say the Avatar writers wanted to make Zuko like Vegeta (which I completely disagree with).

The villain turned hero has happened a lot of times in fiction and certainly well before DBZ. It is also not only an Anime thing. In the end how a series carries this out is more important to me than it is has been done before.

And I know it's only my opinion about who is the better developed character. I don't see where I said otherwise. I only explained why I have that opinion.

Quote:
Honestly if you can look at the Fusion Dance and the Dragon Dance and the characters involved and still not see how Avatar or various characters are derivative then there is no reason to reply to me any more because you can't even admit observable facts.

Okay sorry now you are bringing up something different from the topic at hand.

Yes that dragon dance was obviously a homage to DBZ. But that is not the same as flat out copying from something else. It also doesn't mean Aang is Goku and Zuko is Vegeta if that is what you are trying to imply.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The ONLY reason I brought up Vegeta as a comparison to Zuko was because someone else brought it up FIRST on this thread.

Let's see who was that? I am going to guess you jumped in at the tail end Ambite's comments to Megabyte117:
[quote=Ambite]It's kind of interesting you mention character caricatures, because Zuko is just a watered down Vegeta at the end of the day. They even directly "borrow" one of Vegeta's iconic scenes of him yelling up at a storm about how it was his destiny to become a Super Saiyan. Zuko's yelling about his destiny and learning to bend lightning. It's pretty much scene-for-scene. Not to mention Aang is pretty much just Son Goku.

Dragonball is the granddaddy of all shounen, and without it we wouldn't be here today. It may not be as complex compared to recent day shounen, but it set the groundwork and made a lot of the tropes Avatar uses. The fact Avatar borrows a lot from it should tell us something.[/quote]

Ambite isn't comparing the two and Megabyte's reply is just a season by season profile of Zuko that was copy and pasted from another forum that doesn't even mention a comparison to Vegeta or DBZ.

Also I said the Zuko and Vegeta were done differently enough that your "Who did the relatable teen in a coming of age story better" is not a way compare those characters, well it is a comparison if you are just doing it to contrast the two.

Quote:
Yes that dragon dance was obviously a homage to DBZ. But that is not the same as flat out copying from something else.

It was a homage via parody, satire,...copying. You simply are getting hung up over semantics of not wanting to say the Avatar writers copied some ideas.

Anyway this is getting blah. Let's proceed with The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra - Mysticism vs Technology. Personally I would rather a past Avatar get a series. It would have been interesting to see a story about Kyoshi or Kuruk.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's kind of interesting you mention character caricatures, because Zuko is just a watered down Vegeta at the end of the day.

Quote:
Not to mention Aang is pretty much just Son Goku.

No they really are not. Zuko and Aang's stories and the way they were told were completely different from Goku and Vegeta's & their relationship is ultimately different too.

Also I did not mention caricatures, maybe you are thinking of archetypes.

As for the whole lightning thing you do realize that Zuko does not actually master lightning in that scene or ever in the series. He later on masters something else but it is not because he was shouting on top of the mountain.

Quote:
Dragonball is the granddaddy of all shounen, and without it we wouldn't be here today. It may not be as complex compared to recent day shounen, but it set the groundwork and made a lot of the tropes Avatar uses. The fact Avatar borrows a lot from it should tell us something.

Avatar does not borrow all that much from Dragonball Z. Avatar is much closer to a fantasy adventure story than a long running fighting action series.

As for shounen that is just a target audience.

Quote:
Ambite isn't comparing the two and Megabyte's reply is just a season by season profile of Zuko that was copy and pasted from another forum that doesn't even mention a comparison to Vegeta or DBZ.

I mentioned Vegeta because someone else said Zuko's character was done before in Vegeta and I was just explaining why I felt they were not the same.

Quote:
Also I said the Zuko and Vegeta were done differently enough that your "Who did the relatable teen in a coming of age story better" is not a way compare those characters, well it is a comparison if you are just doing it to contrast the two.

I never said Zuko did the "teenager" story better than Vegeta. Obviously Vegeta's story was not meant to be one about growing up. I said Zuko's story was more compelling to me because of HOW it was told.

Quote:
It was a homage via parody, satire,...copying. You simply are getting hung up over semantics of not wanting to say the Avatar writers copied some ideas.

Of course Avatar took ideas from many sources. My issue is you seem to act like that is all the series did.

But the word derivative does have negative connotations so that is why I was hung up on that word.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
@ArsenicSteel Re: Mysticism vs. Technology: I know that a lot of fans are looking forward to the steampunk in Korra, but I hope that we get to go to the Spirit World again, if just to see Korra face-off with a really PO'ed Koh. Actually, dealing with Koh should be a right of passage for every Avatar. Wonder how Roku handled it? (Kyoshi probably just punched Koh in his morphing face! Laughing)

I'm intrigued by the characters wearing fedoras in the trailer. United Republic Gansters? Bringing cactus juice to the pubs...With Baccano!-style faux New Yalk accents??? Bring it on! Very Happy Laughing Razz Twisted Evil

(I loved the Baccano! dub. So sue me! Razz)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:14 am Reply with quote
I actually hated the Baccano dub for the same reason I dislike fake accents.

That being said I am definitely hoping for something equivalent to gangsters in Avatar.

But I am definitely excited about the series taking place in a 1920s setting. I think there is a lot you can do with that time period. As for the mysticism I think it will be interesting to see how it holds up against the new technology. It can create interesting conflicts
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
You know, I never actually noticed the fusion dance thing until now.. that's kinda funny. I need to rewatch DBZ I guess.

Agent355 wrote:
I love "The Beach," it's one of my favorite episodes from Book 3, and I've listened to the commentary track as well as read interviews with the creators about the characters in general.

The episode was designed to be funny, but it also was meant to highlight how awkward Azula is in ordinary social situations, and how insecure she is about that. She doesn't know how to act in a casual party with other kids her age; she can't even figure out how to give a guy she likes a normal compliment, and he's frightened off real quick.

A:TLA often used humor and subtly to get major points across. "The Headband" used humor to show how an Imperialistic nation can indoctrinate children into believing in its wars through revisionist history (in class, the kids are taught that "Sozin defeated the Air Nation army." When Aang points out that the Air Nomads were pacifists who never had an army, the teacher accuses him of lying. You can see Aang's disappointment etched on his face).

As for Azula being abandoned by her father in the finale: spoiler[her reaction to being told to stay home is to scream: "You can't do this to me! You can't treat me like Zuko!. Her face is filled with panic, but her father is uncaring. She does not seem all that mollified by being offered the Fire Nation thrown. After all, in the wake of her father's victory, he will be King over the entire world. Instead of being by his side, she'll be regulated to just another post. ]

Yeah, the humor really took away from the show for me, a lot of kids shows do that it and it's kind of annoying. They tried to downplay everything as a joke, or inject it into a scene so it doesn't come off 'too serious'.. so that whole episode felt like an episode of Fairly Odd Parents where the mean babysitter Vicky tries to fit in and be nice and it leads to hijinks. It could probably have been more effective if they left out all those jokes.. Azula hammed it up way too much for that 'we can take over the world together! Muwahaha!' scene to come off as an attempt at sympathy or something for me, especially the guy's reaction... instead was more like just seeing a villain joke it up with his nemesis like Doctor Doofenshmirtz or something. Razz Zuko did a bit of that too in season 3.. yeah he's suppose to not be brooding anymore, but they started making him semi comic relief with his one liner jokes and attempted to break the 'seriousness' of whatever was going on. Season 3 in general was just.. all over the place.
ZombieTaquero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
I heard that the show is going to be called The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra which makes no sense what so ever. Is that true? It doesn't make sense because she doesn't know airbending.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
@Jessica Hart: I personally found the balance of humor and drama to work very well in A:TLA. In contrast to FMA (& FMA:B, both of which I love with a passion) in which much of the humor seems to come out of nowhere (another short joke; characters over reacting and freaking out over minor things) , the humor in A:TLA often seemed organic to the characters & situations. Sokka, Iroh, Aang, Toph & Mai all used humor as a coping mechanism and a way to comment on the absurdity of their situation. Katara teased her brother, as sisters tend to do. Redeemed!Zuko similarly tried to use humor to connect with his new comrades and downplay the major awkwardness of the situation.

I'm a big fan of snark and sarcasm, so the dialog-based humor really appealed to me. There were a few episodes and jokes that were cringe worthy (uggh, "Avatar Day," "The Avatar State," and did we really need to see the elderly Li & Lo in bathing suits in "The Beach"?) But for the most part, the humor worked and kept the show in balance.

"The Beach"'s humor was situational, fish-out-of-water comedy. Take a team of warriors and stick them in a "typical" teen sitcom scenario. YMMV.

@MaidenoftheRedHand: Aww, the Baccano! accents were so much fun!

I'm a native New Yorker, and the "melting pot" aspect will be a really great (and complicated) to explore.

Melting pots sound great, until you realize that there are way more cliques and brawls between cliques than any actual melting. Even when people are not fighting, they tend to stick with "their own kind," based on race, religion, country of origin, language, etc. I'm still sad that even though I grew up on a fairly diverse block in Brooklyn, I barely knew (know) my neighbors.

Of course, this New York phenomenon was even more prevalent back when waves of immigrants were moving in and society was divided by extreme racial and class differences. 'Twas the City's "Wild West" days back then. Monopolies were dominating industry, working people had no rights, Taminy Hall controlled city politics ('tll Mayor LaGuardia cleaned them out), and various mobs took control of territory (the Prohibition helped them plenty.)

Crazy, chaotic, racist and classist society in the Avatar Universe just sounds awesome, and there are so many issues and tropes they can explore creatively in that setting, mysticism vs. technology, societal problems, corruption, contraband, and, of course, jazz.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Fellow ATLA and The Legend of Korra fans: The first two episodes of The Legend of Korra will be "unlocked" and available to stream legally this Saturday, March 24, on Korranation.com and the official Korra Natiom Tmblr.

The first episode leaked about a week ago from Nick's press site, and it was glorious. The animation is fluid, Republic City looks great (people are comparing it to San Francisco, NYC, Shanghai & Hong Kong, circa 1920. WITH STEAMPUNK! Also, metalbending police!), and Korra is an interesting character with a lot of potential.

The official Korra Nation Tmblr has production art, show clips, soundtrack info and more. The last vid they posted was Bryan explaining the laws of ProBending to the Korean animators. They thought of everything, and the sport makes a lot of logical sense. Those tournaments will be so much fun to watch! Quidditch, eat your heart out!

(Plus, you can play it in "real life": all you need are clay frisbees, supersoakers, and a flame thrower! Razz)

I'd love to discuss Korra with fans of quality animated television shows here on the ANN forums. If you can't get over the fact that the creators are American, I'd appreciate it if you expressed your trolling comments elsewhere. Thanks!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
At the risk to discuss something that is not technicly anime.
It was a good first episode, looks noticably different as Kora new most of the elements from a young age, with just air left, seems to be rather distinct contrast to the first series with it looking like it will largely be one location.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The first episode leaked about a week ago from Nick's press site, and it was glorious. The animation is fluid, Republic City looks great (people are comparing it to San Francisco, NYC, Shanghai & Hong Kong, circa 1920. WITH STEAMPUNK!

I'm very excited about this series and am deliberately waiting for the official premiere (awkwardly timed as it is by my standards) to build anticipation.

My enthusiasm for the setting can be summed up in this one image.

Just bloody gorgeous. I want to go to there. I'm also curious to hear the music; if they run with anything inspired by the Dixieland jazz of the twenties, it could be pretty great.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I'd love to discuss Korra with fans of quality animated television shows here on the ANN forums. If you can't get over the fact that the creators are American, I'd appreciate it if you expressed your trolling comments elsewhere. Thanks!

wut

Saying a show isn't anime is trolling now despite the fact it's not anime?

what kinda backwards logic do you run on? this isn't even open for debate.

edit: whoa 8 page argument on this already

did people really try to argue it didn't rip off DBZ and other anime? so Avatar fans will say it's JUST AS GOOD AS ANIME yet then turn tail and deny any influence on it when that fact is held against it? make up your mind...
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
@SurrenderArtist: are you waiting until April 14? You are a much more patient person than I!
Not only is the music a wonderful mix of 20's jazz with Asian instruments, but the accents and character wardrobes all give it an early-20th Century feel. Reporters wear trench coats, hats and pince-nez glasses. The announcer on the Fireferrets vs. Rabaroos ProBending tournament sounds so old-timey, like listening to a ball game on the radio before TV came along.

@BonusStage: Trying to "prove" that A:TLA or The Legend of Korra is inferior because it's an imitation of anime is trolling. Those were 8 really tedious pages filled with an argument that had nothing to do with the show, its creators, characters, setting, etc.

I would love to have a thread on this board in which fans can discuss The Legend of Korra even though it is an American cartoon. Not an internet fighting ground about whether or not Korra is "worthy" of being discussed. Is that too much to ask?
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
not necessarily. if it's key elements are ripped from other things and imitating them, you could label it unoriginal and inferior on those grounds. like the zuko/vegeta thingy. though I think people did a good job using the actual writing and flaws of the show itself to say why they didn't like it as well.

as for trolling.. you keep using that word.. I do not think it means what you think it means. sorry, but just because people don't like your show doesn't mean it's trolling, especially when they actually provide substantial amounts of reasons and point out flaws. now, if people just said "it sucks" or "it rocks" with no evidence, then that would be trolling.

Quote:
would love to have a thread on this board in which fans can discuss The Legend of Korra even though it is an American cartoon. Not an internet fighting ground about whether or not Korra is "worthy" of being discussed. Is that too much to ask?

why not make it in the general form or something then. this is an anime website, after all. we come here to talk about anime not american toons. Like that dude who made a ReBoot thread a little while ago. don't you think it's a little immature and disrespectful to say 'I wanna talk about what I want and screw the rules if it's against the rules' kind of thing. think about going to a Xbox360 forum and saying we're going to talk about the PS3 now, too bad if you don't like it or that's not what this site is for. think about how you're representing the Avatar fanbase in a negative light by doing this. not even my little pony fans have tried to do that here yet, and they tend to be the worst at things like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12