• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's 2009 Anime Cast Revealed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Well FMA 2 is airing in an important time slot, recovering old ground for 10-15 episodes could be ratings suicide.. so I would expect an anime original episode or 2 before they quickly cover how things got to this stage before fully going into the manga. Also with lots of manga material to cover quickly covering some volumes would be needed.
But there were irreconcilable differences early on (within the first 10 episodes). And the ratings suicide argument is really weak in a country that loves recap episodes.

RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
P.S. I read arund that Isaac is an original character designed by Arakawa's herself (you can see, the style is hers... and I love it, by the way, EVEN in animation). I guess they didn't want to make a first episode exactly like the old series.

If that's true, then that should hopefully calm a few people down, heh. Any reliable source for that info? I mean, obviously he'd be drawn in her style, they're doing the entire show in her style. But if he really is an original Awakawa character, well, that's very interesting news indeed.

Maybe Arakawa even had a hand in reshaping a lot of the beginning of the story, if they are in fact reshaping it?

The series director wanted an original character and requested the design from Arakawa is the current version of the news on 2ch.
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
there is a rumour that this isaac guy is going to replace yoki...if this guy is replacing yoki,,then the comedy is gonna go...by the looks of this fellow ,i dont think he can say anything funny at all...
this may be a possibility as this anime is a DArk fantasy after all..
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Yoki became a pretty pointless character after his first appearance, anyway, cnav. He was never very funny to begin with and his continuing life irritates me every time I see him in the manga. Isaac may be an improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yoki became a pretty pointless character after his first appearance, anyway, cnav. He was never very funny to begin with and his continuing life irritates me every time I see him in the manga. Isaac may be an improvement.
I say shut your whore mouth. Evil or Very Mad He is the prefect foil to Scar. The train scene with Kimblee alone is enough to validate his existence.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
crow-kun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I say shut your whore mouth. Evil or Very Mad He is the prefect foil to Scar. The train scene with Kimblee alone is enough to validate his existence.

I prefer to keep my whore mouth open. Scar's been a weight on the manga lately, too. At least he should be useful again now that he's one of the few who can take on Father, what with Father's alchemy-canceling. But his role is just a talking weapon at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
whats up with the abuses people....but penguin truth i found yoki to be a little funny,,but im with u on the scar issue...whenevr scar makes an appearance in the manga , i just get bored...scar's group got really boring after spoiler[marcoh vs envy.]...but keep the abuses down....plzzz

and penguintruth , i wont be that harsh on yoki,,but even i dont like him much....if isaac makes that role a lot serious ,,ill be very happy..coz i dont want a lot of comedy in this anime...(except ,of course,,eds height....)...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
I'm somewhat kidding. Yoki is getting irritating, but I think it would be weird to have some guy just replace him. It's funny to see him react to being around those who are monsterously powerful while he's not, but I wish Arakawa would do something with Scar's group soon.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
cnav wrote:
there is a rumour that this isaac guy is going to replace yoki...if this guy is replacing yoki,,then the comedy is gonna go...by the looks of this fellow ,i don't think he can say anything funny at all...

I don't understand how you can replace one character with a completely different character and keep the rest of the story the same.
spoony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
Everyone keeps saying that the anime and manga don't deviate until after Hughes' death, and while I see where it's coming from, I'm going to have to disagree. Sure the differences are fairly subtle early on, but the manga is complex enough that I think little things like that make a big difference. Plus the anime added a stuff like the red water, which becomes important later in the anime but is hardly in the manga at all. Fans who haven't read the manga aren't going to realize what from the first anime was original and what came from the manga.

Personally, I was hoping for a straightforward, filler-free manga adaptation, so this Issac guy is worrying me. It makes me feel a little better if Arakawa is involved, but I still don't like it.

On the bright side, those pics of Father look awesome!

Another weird thing is the announcement of Kimbley's VA. He makes a very brief appearance early in the manga, but he doesn't reappear until the chapters are in the 40s or 50s.

That, and they aren't announcing characters like Ling, Mei, Ran Fan, and Olivier. I'd think that maybe they're waiting since it'll be a while before they appear, but there's the whole Kimbley thing...

I guess it could be because he does make that brief appearance and because he's significant enough in the anime that people expect to see him. But again, it worries me. Sad
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
cnav wrote:
there is a rumour that this isaac guy is going to replace yoki...if this guy is replacing yoki,,then the comedy is gonna go...by the looks of this fellow ,i don't think he can say anything funny at all...

I don't understand how you can replace one character with a completely different character and keep the rest of the story the same.

there ur at it again....i have no problem with something new (a new beginning for ex)...but this anime must be based on the manga ..thats all...not very strictly though...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
Here's a new commercial for you all to chew on a bit. Shows Isaac in action at the end.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
i have a feeling from the new trailer that isaac has a negative role to play...for the first 15-20 episodes
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:14 am Reply with quote
At least it looks like Al's hair is golden. Though it looks a little darker compared to Ed's in the scene they are doing the transmutation.
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
i was expecting an action packed trailer..but chill...

Background music??????
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
cnav wrote:
Background music??????
I think its the opening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13