• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Key wrote:

kyokun703 wrote:
Accusing me of making a "bad call" is not really convincing me to go back and watch it, by the way. If anything, it's repelling me.

If you're getting repelled because someone's telling you that it's not wise to make a decision based on only five minutes of a series then I have to wonder how you take criticism at all.

And you seem weirdly overly protective of Accel World. I said I didn't like what I saw, at least not enough to put it on my list of stuff to watch right now. Jesus.

You can't gauge how good a show is within 5 minutes, its just that that simple. I don't think Key is being protective or anything, just stating a fact.

I'm also not obligated to watch every single anime that comes out every single season. It's my right to watch what I want and decide how I want to spend my free time. I didn't attack other people who have watched this anime. I haven't gotten mad at other people who didn't like anime that I liked. I realize that five minutes isn't enough time to make a completely sound judgment, which is why I'm willing to go back to it eventually if the feedback pans out on it. What I don't get is why I'm being repeatedly told in negative terms that my decision is wrong--I made a mistake, I made a bad call, I'm hypercritical--just for making it not a priority. I'm watching other anime and anime isn't my whole life--I like to read, I watch movies, tv, and other cartoons, I hang out with friends. If something doesn't pique my interest or curiosity immediately, then I will shelve it and possibly bring it out later. That's where Accel World falls. And being repeatedly told I'm wrong on my opinioned decision is extremely grating, especially when I've also repeatedly said I'd be open to going back on it, although now this whole thing has made me not want to go back to it at all.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

I'm also not obligated to watch every single anime that comes out every single season. It's my right to watch what I want and decide how I want to spend my free time. I didn't attack other people who have watched this anime. I haven't gotten mad at other people who didn't like anime that I liked. I realize that five minutes isn't enough time to make a completely sound judgment, which is why I'm willing to go back to it eventually if the feedback pans out on it. What I don't get is why I'm being repeatedly told in negative terms that my decision is wrong--I made a mistake, I made a bad call, I'm hypercritical--just for making it not a priority. I'm watching other anime and anime isn't my whole life--I like to read, I watch movies, tv, and other cartoons, I hang out with friends. If something doesn't pique my interest or curiosity immediately, then I will shelve it and possibly bring it out later. That's where Accel World falls. And being repeatedly told I'm wrong on my opinioned decision is extremely grating, especially when I've also repeatedly said I'd be open to going back on it, although now this whole thing has made me not want to go back to it at all.

I've shut stuff off after 5 minutes. Sometimes, life's too short.

Now everyone quit being a dick about it.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Finally, I could read all the preview guides.

I'll be watching the following ones (When time allows):

Space Brothers: This is the kind of anime I tend to ignore, if it wasn't for the strong recommendations I keep on hearing (and they also refer to older series I have yet to watch, but were mentioned before). The Winter preview guide was spot-on about BSP, so I'm eager to see what's coming out of this one.

Kids on The Slope - Two words: Shinichiro Watanabe. Won't miss a series made by this awesome guy, that seems to direct one series per decade!

Lupin The Third: To be honest, the stylized art and the main girl are the biggest attraction here. Never ever watched or read a Lupin story before, and this one looks like a nice starter entry.

Fate Zero: Not a huge fan of the first season, but I wanna know how this ends.

Queen's Blade S3: Guilty pleasure incoming!! I've been watching QB on and off ever since the very first one back then in 2009. Fetichism at its best.

And, last but not least, Bodacious Space Pirates, because it's still airing (And the only current show I'm already following)! BSP isn't as nice as the early eps, but haven't become a dull experience either. I still see it as a nice slow-paced adventure with a terrible title.

----

All the other shows sound boring, generic or absolutely disgusting (Misterious Girl X, ewwww, Sankarea).

Edit: I find it funny how all the previewers don't give a sh!t about Saint Seiya. In my country, SS is sacred stuff, at the same level of other classics like DragonBall and Sailor Moon, if not more so. If the preview guide was made here, Saint Seiya would be a Must-See show for this season.

Thank you very much for this preview guide!
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Hmm might have to check Dusk maiden of Amnesia out.When I saw trailer I thought it looked like some stupid fanservice show seems I was wrong.

Oh, it definitely has some fan service; make no mistake about that. It isn't obsessed with its fan service, though, and the clever bits in it, like the ghost convincing the male lead to look like he's talking on the phone when talking to her in the presence of someone who can't see her (so that it doesn't look like he's talking to thin air), balance that out. The ghost Yuuka being a playful character without being outright ditzy makes her fun to watch, and the really dark aspect involving the mystery about why her body is where it is keeps the show from getting too silly. It's a good balance so far.

I know that just that I thought it was going to be like Rosario + Vampire.I love stuff which balances between intelligence and fanservice it is a win win formula.That formula gave us Shaft and Bakemonogatri.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:

I've shut stuff off after 5 minutes. Sometimes, life's too short.

Now everyone quit being a dick about it.

I've not watched things after seeing a trailer.

EDIT: Full disclosure - I usually watch just about every show (at least the first episode) every season, as I act as something of a gatekeeper for our local anime club. But I do that so that other people don't HAVE to.

Last edited by Scaramanga on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I officially dropped Accel World after two episodes. I don't feel so bad about it, because I dropped Space Brothers after one. I'm still enjoying Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Kids on the Slope, and Medaka Box. I need to catch up with Tsuritama, and I plan on checking out Jormungand, Lupin III and Sankarea if Funimation chooses to simulcast them through Hulu. I always have trouble with Funi's player.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I've dropped things after a nano-second, then invented a time machine so that I could travel to the past and get that nano-second back. True story.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've dropped things after a nano-second, then invented a time machine so that I could travel to the past and get that nano-second back. True story.

True story is true.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So I checked out Shining Hearts this morning. I can see how people would find it banal, but actually I found it soothing. I had watched the second eppie of Sankarea beforehand which I really liked, but it was emotionally uncomfortable in parts, so a nice sorbet for the soul like Shining Hearts was just what the doctor ordered.

Kimi to Boku is good for that, too.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I've forgotten how much I enjoy Bamboo's reviews, especially with her review of Shining Hearts. I can't say I expected that series to be good, but wow from the review alone that series looks hilariously predictable.

The only show I am going to continue is Tsukitama and at this point seems like the only series that truly caught my interest. Has an Arakawa Under the Bridge feeling and with only 11 episodes, only time will tell I suppose.

Definitely an interesting spring preview this year.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've forgotten how much I enjoy Bamboo's reviews, especially with her review of Shining Hearts. I can't say I expected that series to be good, but wow from the review alone that series looks hilariously predictable.

Methinks ye mean Rebecca, as Bamboo did not review Shining Hearts...
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

People who hate on Shining Hearts have no soul. How can you hate something so adorably sweet and harmless?
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

People who hate on Shining Hearts have no soul. How can you hate something so adorably sweet and harmless?

Cause it really sucks?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I watched the first episode.

It is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really boring.

If I want harmless sweet cute and nothing more I'll watch kitten videos on Youtube. This is not entertaining.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If I want harmless sweet cute and nothing more I'll watch kitten videos on Youtube. This is not entertaining.

I think what he meant was that it's hard to hate it. Yeah, you might not enjoy it... but I can't really see someone actually hating it. It's like hating the retarded kid in class or the homeless man behind the park. You might not like him, but he's harmless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 69