• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Open-Source Nintendo Switch Emulator Already in the Works

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it gets shut down.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's unknown how long the Yuzu project will be able to exist, at least publicly

Unlike the fan games, this is an emulator. And emulators themselves are NOT illegal.At least in the United States. ROMs on the other hand, are of course illegal so Nintendo at best can make the emulator worthless if they can stop ROMs from being distributed.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
FallenDomino wrote:

Don't worry about it, the Citrus dev team is as incompetent as it gets
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Yep, emulators are 100% legal as long as they do not use actual code from the console creators. That's why you've never seen an emulator taken down (unless they were stupid and included the BIOS file(s) in the emulator's installation)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
When I bemoaned the lack of Switch emulators, this wasn't quite what I had in mind.
Still, the combination of a documented ARM chip and a highly popular system built around it made this an inevitability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't seem right to emulate a current console to me.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
If it was a Nintendo-approved open-source emulator, Nintendo still could change their mind at any time. However, at least it would be given the rights holders' consent.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If it was a Nintendo-approved open-source emulator, Nintendo still could change their mind at any time. However, at least it would be given the rights holders' consent.

Nintendo holds no right on this emulator. Not a single line of code was written by Nintendo. For more information about emulation and legality check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!#Sony_lawsuit
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
The whole appeal of the switch is in its form factor and hardware/peripherals...

You can emulate it flawlessly but without the motion sensors etc it will be awkward at best to use on a PC.

If I were Nintendo I'd ignore it, let people attempt to pirate games on it and have crappy experiences, which might even convince more people to buy the actual systems.

Like I suppose it would be possible to like, port an emulator to android on an nvidia shield and make like a pseudo-switch? But it would just be a pale imitation.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
FallenDomino wrote:

Don't worry about it, the Citrus dev team is as incompetent as it gets

Pretty spot on.

Also, most of the people who will emulate the Switch would never buy one anyway. Plus the main appeal of the Switch us the portability factor.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 am Reply with quote
Putting aside the controversies of emulators, I don't understand how making an emulator of the Switch is feasible when you have games like Mario Odyssey that rely heavily on motion controls to play the game.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sold into buying a Nintendo handheld since my old Vita works just fine, so I hope this will come out good so I can play P5 on my MBP.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I don't understand how making an emulator of the Switch is feasible when you have games like Mario Odyssey that rely heavily on motion controls to play the game.

The standard operating procedure for existing emulators is to map the virtual device's accelerometer outputs to physical axes on the host machine. How the user controls those axes then becomes their own problem.

This is why numerous trackball-controlled arcade games haven't enjoyed much of a lingering popularity. You can control them with an analogue joypad, but something always feels askew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Doesn't seem right to emulate a current console to me.
When it comes to emulation, there is no right or wrong. Console emulation may have originally began as a way to play older games, but a lot of the people behind the new ones either want to do it because they can or to provide a testing environment for homebrew games.

(Speaking of homebrew, the article needs to be corrected to not define it as cracking)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The whole appeal of the switch is in its form factor and hardware/peripherals...

You can emulate it flawlessly but without the motion sensors etc it will be awkward at best to use on a PC.

Yeah, I was thinking about how practical this would really be. The Switch was meant to 1) be portable, 2) use with VERY detailed, fine motion controls with two independent units working together, 3) use very detailed rumbling (which is how Labo works at all). For a Switch emulator to fulfill all of the functions of the system, it'll also need to fulfill all of the above.

It reminds me of how most of the earlier (and a good amount of later) Wii emulators required you use a Wii Remote anyway, since they couldn't find a way to replicate the Wii Remote's motion controls in an acceptable way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2