• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keyakizaka46 Idol Group Members' Nazi-Like Costumes Raise Eyebrows

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
One can only assume this is following the idea that "there is no such thing as bad publicity" else it is blatant stupidity to have young idols parade in costumes that are clearly recognized as offensive.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know WW2 era German military uniforms were regarded offensive in Japan.

Also, I guess that as WW2 is fading into more and more distant memory people will eventually lose their thin skin regarding the participants in the event. Today nobody cares if you wear a costume imitating, for instance, Hannibal Barca, who butchered a large fraction of Roman Italy's population back in the 3rd century BC.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It's a costume. Get over it. These people are as bad as the fragile little snowflakes on college campuses that are complaining about Mexican sombreros and how Halloween costumes are offensive.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Other than the eagles on the caps I do not see any similarity between what those girls are wearing and Nazi uniforms, and I do not think that the eagle symbol, which has been used many different places, is quite the same.

If they were trying to look like Nazis they did not do it very well.
Have they had anything to say about this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought "Raidou". Shows what I know.

Maybe change the buttons/redesign the front in general to be more original?
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
>"Just because you didn't know or because you don't praise Nazis doesn't mean you can do these kinds of things. It's unforgivable considering how influential they are as talents."
Lol, people who care about social justice.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Japan simply doesn't have as much animosity towards their former allies. They regard the Germans highly even in modern times.

It is kinda like if you knew a friend, then went on a vacation, then when you came back you learned they did something bad, but it was now in the past. All your friends are still upset, but you have no experience with it, maybe even some collective guilt for what they did. What I'm trying to say is the further out you get from Europe, the less World War 2 matters. Actually go to Europe and see how much they try to suppress anything related to the war. It makes sense that on the opposite side of the world that some of the military fashion of that time would be judged more for its visual appeal rather than historical context.

Think about it, if I dressed up as a Confederate Soldier form the US Civil War in Virginia or Missouri it'll have different local context than if I dressed similar in India.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Japan simply doesn't have as much animosity towards their former allies. They regard the Germans highly even in modern times.

It is kinda like if you knew a friend, then went on a vacation, then when you came back you learned they did something bad, but it was now in the past. All your friends are still upset, but you have no experience with it, maybe even some collective guilt for what they did. What I'm trying to say is the further out you get from Europe, the less World War 2 matters. Actually go to Europe and see how much they try to suppress anything related to the war. It makes sense that on the opposite side of the world that some of the military fashion of that time would be judged more for its visual appeal rather than historical context.

Think about it, if I dressed up as a Confederate Soldier form the US Civil War in Virginia or Missouri it'll have different local context than if I dressed similar in India.

German Guilt, it's a mess and it's the reason for the migrant crisis.

In Germany, a man got arrested for having his dog do the Nazi salute obviously in jest not for seriousness whatsoever, it's like they didn't know how the internet works unlike RL.

As for the outfit, I don't see any swastikas anywhere and thus could pass as a generic dictator's outfit. I'd have an issue if they were on the outfit.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
It seems that even in Japan, Nazi-themed uniforms are virtually taboo, albeit for reasons understandable...
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
So our local politics has deteriorated to the point where there's a group pasting "Swastika" -ish stickers on candidates' signs ... at poling places. Oh and we have a substantial Jewish population.

Now the Japanese girl group used uniforms styled in the old grey cloth, black leather and buckles fashion. Really, are they playing for the "Bad Girls" vibe?

Meanwhile, the people that lived thru the Second World War are passing on - East & West.

Mark Gosdin
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
You gotta admit they had some damn cool uniforms. It's a shame they are taboo and forced to remain out of sight.

H. Guderian wrote:
<snip>

Gotta love the appropriate username.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know that I would have seen it if not for the eagles on the caps. So maybe they should just exercise a tiny little modicum of discretion and err toward different decorations for their headwear.

I understand the allure of Nazi fashion. I recall that Kurt Vonnegut described their uniform as, "madly theatrical." It's just that given the relatively recentness of the associated infamous acts, the persistent popularity of their aesthetic among, shall we say, 'frog people' and the hints that anti-Semitism is creeping back upward in popularity (sometimes in places, among people one might not expect), it feels appropriate to feel unease at seeing Nazi uniforms used as a 'style'.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
It's a costume. Get over it. These people are as bad as the fragile little snowflakes on college campuses that are complaining about Mexican sombreros and how Halloween costumes are offensive.

You rather come across as being unable to, "get over it." I guess ANN isn't a safe space for you.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
So our local politics has deteriorated to the point where there's a group pasting "Swastika" -ish stickers on candidates' signs ... at poling places. Oh and we have a substantial Jewish population.
Meh, it's been happening all over the country. Just be glad they're sticking to defacement, rather than the outright violence seen elsewhere.
Quote:
Now the Japanese girl group used uniforms styled in the old grey cloth, black leather and buckles fashion. Really, are they playing for the "Bad Girls" vibe?
You'd have to pick the brains of the designer to figure that out; the SS had some pretty snappy uniforms and it's entirely possible that the lack of fucks given about their crimes against humanity made them not think twice after the idea popped into their head.
MexRAGE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Maybe i am wrong...but they look more like the uniform used by the military police back on the late 1800s early 1900s...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the other posters that said the only real similarity is in the hats, and even that isn't identical. Seems like the complaints are really grey military dress isn't acceptable which is some pretty serious reaching.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4