• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
17 animated films eligible for Oscar! 5 Nomination Berths!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:54 pm Reply with quote
From Oscarwatch.

Quote:

Beverly Hills, CA - Seventeen films will compete for the Best Animated Feature Film Oscar in the 2002 Academy Awards(R) competition.

The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted last night (12/10) to activate the category for the 75th Academy Award Presentations.

The 17 films were accepted as eligible to compete by the executive committee of the Short Films and Feature Animation branch of the Academy, which recommended to the board of governors that the Award be given for this year.

The films are:
"Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights"
"Alibaba & the Forty Thieves"
"Eden"
"El bosque animado (The Living Forest)"
"Hey Arnold! The Movie"
"Ice Age"
"Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie"
"Lilo & Stitch"
"Mutant Aliens"
"The Powerpuff Girls Movie"
"The Princess and the Pea"
"Return to Never Land"
"Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron"
"Spirited Away"
"Stuart Little 2"
"Treasure Planet"
"The Wild Thornberrys Movie"

The eligibility of two of the films, "Eden" and "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," is subject to their opening in Los Angeles prior to December 31. "Eden" is scheduled to open December 13 and "The Wild Thornberrys Movie," December 20.

Under the rules for the category, a maximum of five films could be nominated.

The Best Animated Feature category was created in September, 2000, and first presented last March.

I guess Metropolis wasn't eligible (perhaps because of the screenings at FantAsia in July 2001?), though I didn't care much for it myself (though the animation was quite pretty), so I'm not shedding any tears. I don't see any way Spirited Away can't get nominated now, though I'll be rooting for Lilo & Stitch, the number 1 animated film of 2002 as far as I'm concerned, though I liked both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:58 pm Reply with quote
How the crap is Stuart Little 2 an animated film? Unless we're counting Geena Davis and that kid from Jerry Maguire as more cartoon than person, which is fine by me I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:10 pm Reply with quote
All the main characters in Stuart Little 2 were computer generated, or, at least enough of them were for it to be eligible. (As for why Stuart Little 2 is eligible in that regards and Attack of the Clones isn't; that possibly has something to do with the fact that it's only some of the supporting characters that are animated, though I'm just guessing.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:36 pm Reply with quote
That means 5 slots are open, giving Spirited Away a better chance to get nominated, if not win.

Edit: It's a shame Bandai couldn't get Escaflowne in, but they were being fairly unrealistic IMHO. Maybe if they license Steam Boy, they'll get another chance.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Umm... yes, I mentioned that there were 5 nomination berths in... umm... the title of this thread.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. I'll post something people may not have heard. www.animenewsservice.com says Disney is also trying to get awards for Best Director(thankfully for Miyazaki and not Eisner), Best Original Score, and Best Screenplay.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Really? Because on RottenTomatoes.com, some people were bitching that Disney was pushing for Best Director for DeBlois and Sanders for Lilo & Stitch but not for Miyazaki for Spirited Away (not that it matters, since I think either director (or set of co-directors) being nominated for Best Director is a pipe dream)... I'll be sure to post that link on RT.

EDIT: Why would Eisner get Best Director though? I don't think he's ever directed anything.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I know. I was making fun of how Disney takes credit for Asian films which they didn't produce. (For example, "Quentin Tarantino's Iron Monkey".) In fact, some of the Buena Vista people are trying to take credit for things like Best Sound on Spirited Away. :evil:
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I think they're taking credit for the English ADR, which Ghibli didn't do.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I still don't like any Americans taking credit for a Japanese production, when they had so little to do with the final product. Anyway, I hope Spirited Away doesn't get rejected for one of those obscure titles like Eden.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about that... Spirited Away will be the non-American nominee this year; most of the stuff on the list only fulfills the eligibility requirements for being nominated, they aren't serious contenders.

Eden... nothing to do with the Afternoon magazine manga by Hiroki Endo, I presume?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I still don't like any Americans taking credit for a Japanese production, when they had so little to do with the final product. Anyway, I hope Spirited Away doesn't get rejected for one of those obscure titles like Eden.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:58 pm Reply with quote
"I still don't like any Americans taking credit for a Japanese production, when they had so little to do with the final product. Anyway, I hope Spirited Away doesn't get rejected for one of those obscure titles like Eden."

That was Quentin Tarantino PRESENTS Iron Monkey.

And the Americans who did the script, dubbing, dub direction and title design for the American release DO deserve credit. They did work. Give them credit. Yeesh. Let's not pretend they just didn't do any work at all because it's a Japanese production.

-Zac
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:29 pm Reply with quote
It's still Quentin Tarantino instead of Yuen Woo Ping. Anyway, by credit, I meant awarding them. You're basically congratulating them for doing an adaptation of a movie you were never involved in creating. It's like France claiming credit for the creation of the Mona Lisa, even though it's an Italian painting.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping VeggieTales gets it Wink
I haven't seen Lilo and Stitch yet VT is probably better Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3