• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Aniplex Books R.O.D -The Complete- Blu-ray Box for Distribution This Winter Through Bandai and R

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
that would be awesome if they made a new read or die series right now Very Happy
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
This may be a dumb question, but do Blu-ray discs work on regular dvd players or do they only work on Blu-ray players?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
that would be awesome if they made a new read or die series right now Very Happy

Yeah it would, I'd love to see another read or die project too Smile

trunkschan90 wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but do Blu-ray discs work on regular dvd players or do they only work on Blu-ray players?

Blu-ray discs will only work on Blu-ray players or the Playstation 3, you cannot use them in a regular DVD player, however Blu-ray players/PS3 can play regular DVDs.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
Man I kept saying to myself "totally buying this...totally buying this"

until i got to the price. No where near that much money , do I have. >.<

Such a shame. That booklet is probably worth a good 50 on it's own so exciting. I'm one of the biggest ROD fans so hide one in the back for me to buy in a year or so when i get money Wink
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Yikes, there is nothing in the anime world that I like enough to pay $200 for. That's why I didn't buy anything in the late 90s
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
So.... Durarara, they're releasing a series that is neatly divided into two parts into three releases. Tricky... and annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Yikes, there is nothing in the anime world that I like enough to pay $200 for. That's why I didn't buy anything in the late 90s

Well, $160 after discount.

Box looks pretty cool, if nothing else.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
So.... Durarara, they're releasing a series that is neatly divided into two parts into three releases. Tricky... and annoying.

Agreed. I try not to think about how counterintuitive it is.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Still way too high for a 26 episode series. I would understand if it were nearly 50 or so. Like when I bought Code Geass or FMA. But this is an older release, almost 9 years old and it's price is still staggering to most fans.

Many anime fans will pass on this series because they can get several other series and still not get to that price. I easily can buy 3-8 series for that price. 3 @ $50, 8 @20(they do exist, like S.A.V.E editions and some others)

And I remember somewhere someone said that Anime is at it's cheapest it has ever been in the United States. Oh yeah, it was Greg Ayres at Anime Iowa's "State of the Industry and You." Apparently, he did not look at some Geneon releases and had not expected this. Hell, Blood+ is still nearly $100 per part, 2 parts for 50; Code Geass in 7 parts for 50. But that's for 50 episodes, nearly double that of R.O.D..

I've been looking for this series for some time fairly cheap, hoping someone would pick it up and re-release it like most of the other Geneon titles have. Instead we get a release for Blu-Ray and the price is still very high.

I swear these companies believe that all anime fans are loaded with money and willing to pay anything for the series.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
$199? Not is this life-I already have it on dvd. Besides-it's an older release-if it was-say $60 I'd consider it-but no way Jose at $199!!
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
xx

Last edited by zrdb on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yikes! I love this series, but that's an awfully steep price to swallow, even for Blu-ray.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I own the original DVD version and I can't recall but I think I spent a fair amount on that (60$ or so if I recall correctly). I'm probably going to delay any Blu-Ray purchase until they lower the price here. I'm also not altogether sure how much I want to re-watch this show. It wasn't bad. I did like it, but it wasn't as re-watchable as some other series.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. I'll be pre-ordering this and Durarara sometime before the end of the year. I'm jumping on this from the start so I'm not stuck paying out my ass for Blu-ray collections years later (as in the case of Bandai Visual USA) Aniplex of America = Japanese quality products at a fraction of the price. The new Criterion Collection of anime has arrived.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Sweet. I'll be pre-ordering this and Durarara sometime before the end of the year. I'm jumping on this from the start so I'm not stuck paying out my ass for Blu-ray collections years later (as in the case of Bandai Visual USA) Aniplex of America = Japanese quality products at a fraction of the price. The new Criterion Collection of anime has arrived.

Except with the Criterion Collection you can usually check those out of libraries for free.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:

If I recall from some of the interview material that came with ROD The TV sets, the Director wants to cap off the series with a Read or Die Movie. Which would be super awesome if/when it happens. I think their busy making/releasing Welcome to the Space Show right now though.

While this set looks cool, A)Its stupid expensive; and B)the upgrade from SD to HD it minimal at best, or so I am told. So its not great buy in terms of Picture Quality.

Which stinks, I love the series as a whole, so its unfortunate the picture quality can't significantly benefit from HD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2