• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reanbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Probably Kekkaishi... I just couldn't get into it. ._.
liubei013

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much every recent manga adaptations of base mecha series. Namely Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Gundam 00. There will always be grievances against book to movie, manga to anime, and so on, but the reverse is also true.

GL manga makes the attempt to follow with the anime's storyline, but without any of the flair and kicka*sery (<-not a real work, I know). A friend of mine thought it was awful and disliked Viral. I recommended that he watch the 'original' anime instead. He was hooked.

CG...ah jeez...take out all the mecha, turn the Japanese resistance movement into a bunch of school-based vandals, and pretty much everything else within the large scope of the alternate world of CG and that gets you the manga. About the only plus it had was that other 'side' series to the main manga explored more Points-of-view that the anime didn't go into all that much.

Gundam 00, it tried to compress the entire series into 3 volumes by taking away certain events and killing off the bulk of what little characterization there was.
warrinerd92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Battle Royale. There's probably something worse I've read but it's been exorcised from my mind and I don't want to remember what it was but Battle Royale is the most recent crappy manga I've read so I'll go with that. Excessive art bordering on disgusting, cliche and repetitive chapter plots, and other things that make this the extreme suck master.

not to mention the translation from tokyopop falls into a huge plothole later on.
MangaMonthly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz takobon. Every panel was a terrible, fast paced, unexplained, lame, cliche, bad....it was bad.

Second is Prince of Tennis; no plot, unlikable characters, repetitive action sequences, no sense of humor, I could go on...

And probably after that would be Bobobo or something.

Kitchen Princess was definitely terrible, but it was because of certain elements that it was terrible, not the entire manga.
Hive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
The worst manga I've ever read was a Japanese-only one-shot that was scanlated several years ago.

So, I'll list something that most people here will recognize:
Shakugan no Shana
Bunny13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
what is wrong with some of u people?! ur saying u hate some of my FAVORITE manga!!!!!
Hellbutterfly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
One piece. I liked the characters, but the art work was too much like american and was very crude and childish, in an unfunny way.

Also this one pokemon manga I read. Misty looked like Bulma.

Fushi yugi, miaka started off as fun but she became usless like sakura.

Last one I promise. Um I think it's called swan. It's a crappy overly dramatic manga about ballet. It's feels more like a paradoy than a serious dramatic manga.

[Mod Edit: Ummm, you don't need to post 4 times straight within a few minutes of each other. If you feel you need to add something then just edit the post. - Keonyn]
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Naruto - just as crappy and drawn out as the anime Very Happy
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
davem1992ftw wrote:

This. That and Naruto is one of the most annoying characters ever created.
Konopan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Worst seried I've finished reading was definitely Mirai Nikki. Everything goes down the pipes in the last few volumes, and the ending is maximum lamesville.

Worst series I dropped would probably be the current incarnation of Wolf Guy. Generic bishone fights bad kids while hiding his deep dark secret for a few volumes was enough to take a break, thankfully before reaching the spoiler[ENTIRE VOLUME OF RAPE] which hearing about convinced me I was done.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read a whole bunch of manga, so the answer is easy.

Worst series I've ever read has to be Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days. God, it was so bad, lame and generical that I quit it two volumes before completion (and it only has 6 volumes).

In second place comes Onegai Teacher, the anime was somewhat mediocre but the manga is even worse. A nice example of a lazy ass adaptation, with people that couldn't care less about the content they were working with.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Most recently it was Kyou Koi Wo Hajimemasu. It just completely pissed me off. Right up there with Shinjo Mayu's shit! It disgusts me how popular this anti-feminist crap is. HOW CAN PEOPLE TOLERATE THIS, LET ALONE LIKE THIS!? IT'S SO TASTELESS!

Girl mistaking sexual abuse for love=FOR THE LOSE.

...the art isn't even that good either. So it literally has nothing going for it. It's not funny, or cute, or sweet, or charming, or heartwarming, or even pretty in the least bit.

Quote:
Pretty much every recent manga adaptations of base mecha series. Namely Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, and Gundam 00. There will always be grievances against book to movie, manga to anime, and so on, but the reverse is also true.

*sigh* Yeah....those aren't good either. Very boring. I love GL and was excited to read the manga to "relive" the series but it was just.....there was no imagination whatsoever! The artist even MIRRORED the screenshots from the anime. Dude, it's called "creativity"!? Mad
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
Oh man...I've been working on a manga review blog of my own, and as part of it I've been reading everything Volume 1 I can get my hands on...for better and for worse. Most of the worst has been bad, bland shoujo (Red River, Marmalade Boy) or blatant fujoshi bait (Princess Princess, Descendants of Darkness). One had a decent idea, but had the WORST art I've seen in a manga (The Drifting Classroom).

The worst of the lot, the one that ticked me off more than anything, was Fushigi Yuugi. I damn near threw the book when I got to the end and Miaka is already proclaiming her love for Tamahome; the only thing that stopped me was that it was a library copy. While Miaka is at least not bland, she is annoying stupid and rushes into danger without a thought to her own safety. Apparently Japan does not teach their children about Stranger Danger.

Anyway, back to my first statement: Why on earth does she love that bad Han-Solo knockoff Tamahome, other than "he is hot, and I want to bone him"? I guess you might be able to add "and because he saves my stupid butt from roving rape squads every 10 minutes." Well, call me crazy but I prefer my heroines to actually know their love interests longer than a few days before declaring their love, and to have something more than "rescuer and damsel in distress" in common. Plus, once she gets to the book-world practically everything is handed to her. Gotta find seven holy warriors? That's no problem, when the plot gives you three of them practically right away!

The weird thing is that I ended up liking Ceres, and I'm working on reading the rest of that. I still have yet to read Absolute Boyfriend or Arata, so only time will tell whether it's FY or Ceres that is the exception in quality as far as Watase's work goes
[/i]
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
davem1992ftw wrote:

This. That and Naruto is one of the most annoying characters ever created.

Then you never watched Haruhi Suzumiya.

For me:

One Piece after Thriller Bark- The Impel Down arc was okay, but the whole thing with Ace after it just dragged the fudge on! Every chapter, I just said to myself spoiler[KILL HIM ALREADY!! He's pretty much expendable, anyway!] Then after that, they have a flashback that dragged on that would make a Family Guy cutaway get bored. I think my main problem with it is the art style. The women look bulimic, which makes you wonder how those twig bodies can hold such large breasts. Also, whenever a really dramatic moment happens, Oda has to ruin it by making the characters make cartoony facial expressions.

Kingdom Hearts- The game was awesome, but the manga was so poorly paced, it made M. Night Shamylan's The Last Airbender look like Fellowship of the Ring. The fights pretty much happen for one panel, and nothing is taken seriously, even dramatic moments.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan- This series has only one brand of comedy: killing an effeminate boy every ten seconds. Does the writer actually think people find this hilarious? What baffles me more is that people actually do. If you do, more power to you, but why? Why is this funny? Sakura does something wrong on accident, Dokuro kills him, brings him back, rinse and repeat. There, I saved you 20 episodes, six light novels, and three manga volumes of unfunny bullcrap. As someone who watches South Park, you may call me a hypocrite, but the difference between this and SP is that Kenny dying every episode isn't the show's only joke. Add to it, they eventually reduced it to once a season.

Haruhi Suzumiya- Terrible manga inspired by the terrible novel. Haruhi alone makes this franchise unbearable. She does things that would get a normal person expelled/arrested, and she gets away with it. You call her spoiler[being god] a justified explanation? I call it an Ass-Pull. The writer probably made that crap up as it went along, which would explain after the first novel developed her, she was back to being a controlling, abusive harlot. Character development? What's that? There's making a character flawed, and then there's making them completely unlikable. There's only so much disbelief an audience can suspend.

Love Hina- While it's nowhere near as terrible as the anime (along with Akamatsu proving to be a more competent writer with "Negima"), it's still overly cliched for a harem manga. You could do a rendition of the "Gilligan's Island" theme for these characters:
There's the protagonist, and the moe too,
A Tsundere that's a bitch,
The lolicon,
The alcoholic and kuudere,
Here on the Harem Manga!
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Then you never watched Haruhi Suzumiya

I did and I didn't find Haruhi that annoying. Yes, she is obnoxious and does some very extreme things but I found myself hoping Sasuke would finally snap and kill Naruto with each chapter I read, and I don't feel a similar way about Haruhi. I got through 6 volumes of Naruto and gave up out of sheer irritation. I've never read the Haruhi manga though, so I can't comment on that, and since this thread is about worst manga, not anime or novels, I see no further reason to digress.

Last edited by st_owly on Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 21