• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kenshin Ova ?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
what do you guys think of the idea to redo Rurouni Kenshin's ending better by the same people who did trust annd betrayal and refection
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
They tried that by integrating Jinchuu with Reflection. And, like the rest of Reflection, it failed horribly. They cut out all but about two volumes' worth of the ten-volume story arc, and even rewrote the stuff they left in for the worst.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
balla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
so do you feel that the story would be fuffulied if they made a box set of that arc.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:11 pm Reply with quote
balla wrote:
so do you feel that the story would be fuffulied if they made a box set of that arc.

I don't get what you're asking. How would putting the OAVs in a box set make the series more "fulfilled?"
balla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
i was refering to the failed attempt by reflection
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I don't get what you're asking. How would putting the OAVs in a box set make the series more "fulfilled?"

I think they're asking if Jinchuu would work if they actually made the series in full instead of its bastardised Reflection form.

I think it'd definitely work, but I can't see it happening. The popularity of the Kenshin franchise has diminished greatly and I don't think a majour commitment like an extra Kyoto-length story arc would really be profitable.

A nice thought, but it's extremely unlikely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
firegirl22

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think you guys are being tremendously unfair to Reflection. I really enjoyed it, especielly seeing everything through Kaoru's eyes. I really don't see why you guys hate it so much, I don't think they were just trying to make a re-cap of the series, but were trying to show the fans of Kenshin a different aspect than what we're used to.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I actually really enjoyed Reflection. I think they did short change the Jinchuu arc, and changed the originally happy ending of the manga, but I thought the art was gorgeous and the ending was well done.

It would be nice to see an animated Jinchuu arc, but I doubt that'll ever happen. The only reason they blasted through the 3rd arc the way they did was because the Jinchuu arc wasn't finished yet by the time they were making it. I guess that's one great reason to buy the manga-- while not as good as the Kyoto arc, the last arc is certainly an exciting read.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
but I thought the art was gorgeous and the ending was well done.

I liked those parts of Seishouhen as well, but the excessive "liberties" taken with everything else just gave me a headache. I understand it was meant to be an alternative take, but too many of the changes were done solely for token angst (Kenji's "OMG I HAET MY PARENTS!!!!!!!!!1111111" attitude coming clear out of the blue, for one), and that just cheapened the whole thing.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
firegirl22 wrote:
I think you guys are being tremendously unfair to Reflection. I really enjoyed it, especielly seeing everything through Kaoru's eyes. I really don't see why you guys hate it so much, I don't think they were just trying to make a re-cap of the series, but were trying to show the fans of Kenshin a different aspect than what we're used to.

Well I would like have to seen the original perspective first. And it's not that I "hate" Seisouhen I just didn't think it was a proper way to end the franchise.

It's like saying:

spoiler[ We know Spike dies in Bebop, but instead of showing that first, let's say he lives and then kills Vicous and saves Julia only to fly away with her to Paradise.]

Granted it's refreshing at times to see a different persepective in which the spoiler[ the main protagonist actually dies,] but at least show how it should've been first, and then make a how it "could've been" later.

I rated it "good" under My Anime. The animation is on par with Tsuioku-hen and the music is very well composed. But for just an hour with about half of it being recap, I'd rather waste my time searching for anime on eBay.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Reflections really wasnt that great. If it weren't for the fact that i liked the Kenshin series as well as the Trust and Betrayal OVA's i might have been upset. Too much storyline was covered in too little time. I think that it had great potential. Especially considering that they perfectly set up the Kenshin vs Saito battle, but in the end i think they only ended up showing a shot of his face.
I haven't read the actual ending, but i can say that showing the retelling of some of the later arcs through kaoru's is a good idea. unfortunately the creators rushed through the arcs so fast that they became incoherent at times and severly damaged the potential of this perspective. I became increasingly baffled during the retelling of the jinchuu arc, which i have not seen. After a while into the i came to the conclusion that kaoru didn't do a lot during the arc as it seemed as though she sat there and made observations until Kenshin's arrival
what upset me the most though was the depressing tone and tragic yet romantic ending. It, was intended, i assume, to make you feel a bit better spoiler[ with kenji's returning and kenshin and kaoru being together right when they die] but you just cant help but feel sorry for poor old kenshin and wish that he had had a happier ending.
While I have these major issues with the story i cant discredit the quality of the anime itself. It's topnotch and up to par with the other OVAs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1