• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does some anime inspired people to get a weapon and kill

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
when a friend of mine saw Akira. He thought that these are some reasons why people are murdering the people they dislike.
I thought about it and could'nt reply. So my question is " Does
some anime inspired people to get a weapon and kill? yes or no?
and why?"
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:

Yeah.... that's a prime example. Rolling Eyes

As for me personally, I've had a few daydreams about wanting to slice a few annoying people with a pair of twin kodachi a few times. But I probably never would, given my (real) personality. Wink
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I have one thing to say to that article, oh gosh...

Fortunately, I hope that most people aren't like this man. Personally I have had a few daydreams linked with some anime I've watched (namely Kenshin), but anime itself would never get me to grab a gun and shoot someone. So, I guess my answer is no.
Depression

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I think that everyone has day dreams of kill the people they dislike. This may be linked by anime, music, TV, or video games. I that anime have now been adding to the list of different excuses that are used for why someone kills. Just like violence in music and on TV before.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
if you want another example, look up Tsutomu Miyazaki.

you'll get tons of papers written about his crimes and anime...
herbkir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Anime won't drive someone to murder any more than a live-action show will. Yes, depictions of violence on TV or in movies might push an already unbalanced person over the edge, but in such cases it doesn't matter whether the mayhem is live or animated. The person was already looney. (^_*)
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
GoldHawk021 wrote:
when a friend of mine saw Akira. He thought that these are some reasons why people are murdering the people they dislike.

And what reasons are those, exactly? I'm sorry, but it's a little hard to understand what you're saying. And I think your freind might have some problems if he thinks "Akira" would give someone a reason for killing someone else (no offense to you or your freind).
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Of the hundreds of thousands of anime fans worldwide, we only really hear about one or two every so often that murder because of the anime itself. That's pretty much par for the course in any form of entertainment. Charlie Manson murdered because of The Beatles, if I'm not mistaken, but he's one looney in a sea of millions of Beatles fans (myself included).

There are always going to be the one or two wackos in every society that find the damnedest reasons to go on a killing spree. Some teens in the Western US went out attacking people because of the video game Grand Theft Auto, but they only make up about four or five of the millions more reasonably well-adjusted people that have kept their murderous Freudian instincts in check.

I'd say no. Anime doesn't motivate that many people to kill because most people have the common sense enough to realise that a cartoon is not something you take another's life over. It's just those mentally-defective few that take it a step too far (and then get sensationalised in the news media so that one or two isolated cases become a "mad epidemic of DEATH!").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I would also say no. Humans have been killing since...well, whenever it was that we became humans. A lot of deaths are brutal now, but ALL deaths were brutal before there even was entertainment. My basic philosophy is that if something such as anime, or video games could drive someone to actually kill another human being, they were screwed up LONG before they started watching anime. When a person decides to kill it is usually their choice (except for is they have the psychologival disorder of being anti-social, in which case they feel nothing, so anime wouldn't add another log to fire or anything like that). Anywho, that's my two clams Wink
king_micah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
That's why the Catcher in the Rye is evil. It makes people kill.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm sure that a full psychologial paper could be written on the topic of aggressive tendencies found in those surrounded by violent content in entertainement. I figure that there are a few ways to look at it.

I suppose it could be categorized as such:

A. Direct cause: In that something found within the content directly forced you to take action.

B. An indirect cause: It influenced you to take action

C. A catalyst - The other ingredients were there, this just sped up the process.

I'm sure that there are other ways of going into this, but I do think that violent content can and does influence our behavior. I also believe that prolonged exposure to that violent content will bring about a more "permanent" change in how one acts. I have, in others and in myself, observed changes occour because of prolonged exposure to different content, and I am led to believe people brush it off more than they should. I don't believe that it has enough of an effect that it will directly cause somebody to snap, but I can't help but notice the personality differences anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Can we stop discussing "Does (anime, manga, computer/video games, TV, movie, novel, etc.) inspired (insert behavior here)?" or "Should (anime, manga, computer/video games, TV, movie, novel, etc.) have chracters that are (insert behavior here)?" Those questions easily become very political and serve no purpose to help we forum users to enjoy anime.

Those forms of entertainment mentioned above are just reflections of our society. There are violences in our society, so are there in TV programs; there are homosexual people in our society, and so are there in movies. If people think a story has cross the line too much to be bearable, they'd boycott it, and it will gradually withdraw from the market -- this is the only rule in a free market society. However, being more 'foreign' compared to TV or movies, anime often receive much more unnecessary attention, and any mischief by a single anime fan would be easily translated by the influence of anime. This is similar to computer/video games; due to its young age (~30 years) and low acceptance among older adults (yes, it's growing, but it's because fans are getting old too), games like Doom and Grand Theft Auto receive unnecessary attention as well. Personally I don't see as many criticism towards Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Blair Witch Project compared with what Doom and GTA had received.

Don't get me wrong; I love in-depth discussions, but I've seen too many similar discussions drifted away after many replies and everyone on board became mad due to endless criticism towards each other, reasonable or (mostly) not.

If you agree with me, please do not reply to my post and let this tread fade away (or locked by Mods).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I made you argue about this subject. Sad I just love anime
and I don't want it to be insulted because of someone's mistake( like killing someone or raping someone.)

Last edited by GoldHawk021 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:42 pm Reply with quote
GoldHawk021 wrote:
Sorry if I made ya argue about this subject. Sad I just love anime
and I don't want it to be insult because of someone's mistake( like killing someone or raping someone.)

So...wait, I'm confused. You post a topic and want people to debate it, then apologise for starting intelligent discussion?

And PLEASE try to improve your spelling & grammar. It's still hard to read your posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8