• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Michael? (manga) volume titles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how to go about adding volume titles for manga (or if it's even something that non-staff can do). The reason I bring it up is that I noticed that What's Michael? has:

Quote:
Volumes:
#1. Michael's Album
#2. Living Together
#3. Off the Deep End
#4. Michael's Mambo
#5. Michael's Favorite Spot
#6. A Hard Day's Life
#7. Fat Cat in the City
#8. Show Time
#9. The Ideal Cat

But is missing:

#10. Sleepless Nights
#11. Planet of the Cats
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
It's indeed a staff-only input now. I went ahead and added those, thanks! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
I've made an overhaul to the "volumes" and "releases" sections. "Volumes" is an outdated field and shall not be used anymore; its function has been completely replaced with "releases," where one could add volume-specific titles (when available) behind a colon.

Like all their pre-millennium titles (pain in the neck...), Dark Horse rearranged the original 8+1 volumes (I don't know if they have included the last volume, which was published 14 years after the 8th) with ~140 pages each into 11 volumes with 88 pages each. Page numbers don't quite add up so I don't even know if there was any chapter left out (Makoto Kobayashi often has some ecchi scenes with his cats, and I wonder if those was acceptable for "8+" in the pre-millennium American manga market).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
It's indeed a staff-only input now. I went ahead and added those, thanks! Smile

Thanks for that.

dormcat wrote:
Page numbers don't quite add up so I don't even know if there was any chapter left out (Makoto Kobayashi often has some ecchi scenes with his cats, and I wonder if those was acceptable for "8+" in the pre-millennium American manga market).

Yes, they did remove the more risqué chapters to keep the all ages rating. According to the back of the one volume I own (#11), the series won a New York library award and a "parent's choice" award so I presume toning it down to make it child-friendly paid off for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1