• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Inu Yasha supposed to be 2 words?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sk1199

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
In the encyclopedia listings anime 159 is listed as Inu Yasha. I thought it was supposed to be one word Inuyasha. My apologies if I'm wrong.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
In the encyclopedia listings anime 159 is listed as Inu Yasha. I thought it was supposed to be one word Inuyasha. My apologies if I'm wrong.

It's a somewhat debated.

Viz uses "Inuyasha" when they write it out, but their logo for the titles shows "InuYasha." EIther way, there's no space in the official transliteration.

The translation is questionable, the Japanese is "犬夜叉". Inu (犬) means dog, and Yasha is just a name (comprised of the characters for Night and Dichotomous). Literally, 犬夜叉 is "Dog Yasha," two words, so there's a strong argument for transliterating it as "Inu Yasha."

However our policy here is to stick with and respect official translation, so the encyclopedia should say either "Inuyasha" or "InuYasha." I prefer the latter since the "Y" in the logo is clearly larger than the other characters, but since Viz generally goes with Inuyasha in all their text, we should probably use that.

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
The translation is questionable, the Japanese is "犬夜叉". Inu (犬) means dog, and Yasha is just a name (comprised of the characters for Night and Dichotomous).

Er, I'm afraid that Yasha is not just a name, but a fictional religious creature that looks not quite the same as Takahashi-sensei's design. The word came from Yaksha in Sanskrit. More info can be found in Wikipedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sk1199

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate the explanation of the name, I was referring to the fact that the main listing of the encyclopedia is using both spellings. First there is a listing for Inu Yasha (TV) then after the Inukami movie there is a listing for the various Inuyasha movies. I was just wondering which placement was correct.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
sk1199's right. The encyclopedia is currently using 3 different versions of the title:

Inu Yasha (TV)
Inuyasha Meguri Au Mae no Unmei Koiuta (special)
Inuyasha the Movie 2: The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass
InuYasha the Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler
Inuyasha the Movie 4: Fire on the Mystic Island
Inuyasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time
Inuyasha: Toki wo Koeru Omoi (movie)

I'm sure this was unintentional, so it definitely seems to make more sense to decide on just one version and use it for all Inuyasha titles.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Since Chris said
tempest wrote:
Viz uses "Inuyasha" when they write it out, but their logo for the titles shows "InuYasha." EIther way, there's no space in the official transliteration.

I've remove the space. However, whether letter Y should be uppercased is still debatable, as the letter Y is always significantly larger than "asha" following it. I'll leave it to American staff and see if they could ask representatives at Viz for an official title.

As for related releases... fixing them manually would be rather troublesome. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1