• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
...because Koyori's speech is deliberately stilted. It is an affectation -- so, in translating, you'd look for an English equivalent that sounded equally affected.

(Incidentally, there's a pun in Koyori's name, and the fact that she spends so much time learning origami. Japanese is such a wonderful language for punning.)

- abunai

After reading your earlier posts, I kinda figured that might be the case for Koyori, but was still curious.
If it's not too much trouble, could you explain the pun?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, we don't know what kanji are used to write Koyori's personal name, because the official cast list shows her name as 石月こより (Ishizuki Koyori, with the personal name in hiragana). There are about 8-9 common ways to write Koyori as a female personal name with kanji.

However, where the pun comes in is in another set of kanji/kana that read koyori, these ones: 紙縒り (alternately written as 紙撚り -- but they both read koyori, "paper twist"). Such a koyori is a string of twisted paper, used for any number of purposes: to bind a giftwrap in lieu of string; to tie a sumo wrestler's hair; binding books (using a technique called "Japanese stab binding"); and to make origami figures (for instance, the stems of origami flowers).

There's the pun, right there.

On this page, you can see another use of koyori: rolled up sutras used to clothe a statue of Kannon.

- abunai
A koyori is surprisingly strong. Back when I had long hair, I often tied it up with paper, when I had work to do and didn't want it getting in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dread1ord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Recently I’ve been trying to think of an anime I saw a long time ago, Bubblegum Crises comes to mind but I don’t think that’s it. It set in the future and the police all use tanks and are all men. Then several women transfer in and are thought of sort-of as a joke. Fitting that status they get saddled with a small tank. Either it was an old rundown one, or it was a state of the art one but none of the men wanted to pilot it because it wasn’t macho. Something happens and all the men’s tanks are destroyed and the fate of the city rested in the women’s hand and there small tank. I think at some point all the men pilots are piled on top of the little tank to make a hasty retreat and are hanging on for dear life.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Dread1ord wrote:
Recently I’ve been trying to think of an anime I saw a long time ago, Bubblegum Crises comes to mind but I don’t think that’s it. It set in the future and the police all use tanks and are all men. Then several women transfer in and are thought of sort-of as a joke. Fitting that status they get saddled with a small tank. Either it was an old rundown one, or it was a state of the art one but none of the men wanted to pilot it because it wasn’t macho. Something happens and all the men’s tanks are destroyed and the fate of the city rested in the women’s hand and there small tank. I think at some point all the men pilots are piled on top of the little tank to make a hasty retreat and are hanging on for dear life.

Here it is.

At least, I think it's right. Certainly fits the bill.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
I thought the discussion on pronouns and Japanese was pretty interesting, but I felt kind of sorry for the person who posted a question right before the 2 page detour started:

sackie wrote:
All I remember is that there was a book and it's pages were made of skin. I could be waaay off here but I think I remember the plot being that there were pages missing from the book and there were two men, with a spotted history together, trying to find the other pages. It's been at least 5 years since I've seen it.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to a long life here on the boards.

I wish I knew this one, but I don't have a clue. I thought I'd drop the question back in now that we are back to the question and answer mode so it has a fair chance of being seen.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I thought the discussion on pronouns and Japanese was pretty interesting, but I felt kind of sorry for the person who posted a question right before the 2 page detour started

It wasn't a detour, MoR -- the title of the thread is "General Questions/Identifying Anime".

But yes, there are a lot of unanswered questions buried in this thread by later posts. What we really need is some sort of index, the way we have in some of the other giant threads, but I find it hard to see how that would work. So many of the questions are vague (because that's what half-remembered stuff is: vague).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I thought the discussion on pronouns and Japanese was pretty interesting, but I felt kind of sorry for the person who posted a question right before the 2 page detour started:

I wish I knew this one, but I don't have a clue. I thought I'd drop the question back in now that we are back to the question and answer mode so it has a fair chance of being seen.

Thanks for the bump. I'm beginning to think that I might be crazy and that this anime does not exist. I've asked 4 people here at work that know nearly everything there is to know about anime and nobody remembers the name. Some say they vaguely remember the plot but that is about it. Confused

Someone suggested Necromicon, but I know that is not it.
Dread1ord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, it was Dominion Tank Police. I think I must have seen Bubblegum Crises around the same time, because when I think of that name tanks pope into my head.

I wanted to bring up the skin book guy too, but honestly haven’t a clue what it is. Sounds like Army of Darkness or another one of those Bruce Camble movies. I do remember seeing an anime on Sci-fi channel called Tokko that sounds similar but it dealt with puzzle peaces.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
So I'm watching Welcome to the NHK dubbed right now and Nanako, Yamazaki's crush, has a lisp. I find this kind of odd because she is a voice actress in the show... So my question is:

Did she have a speech impediment in Japanese, or is this a joke that they added to the dub? I only know a few words that I picked up from watching these silly cartoons, so I wouldn't know the difference even if I listened myself.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
So I'm watching Welcome to the NHK dubbed right now and Nanako, Yamazaki's crush, has a lisp. I find this kind of odd because she is a voice actress in the show... So my question is:

Did she have a speech impediment in Japanese, or is this a joke that they added to the dub? I only know a few words that I picked up from watching these silly cartoons, so I wouldn't know the difference even if I listened myself.

No, she had no speech impediment in the original... but she did enunciate in a very infantile/cute way. I suppose you could say she was "doing burikko". But no lisp.

- abunai
sackie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!

I found it! Actually someone on Amazon recognized it and told me the name. It's called Judge.

Plot Summary: Hoichiro Ohma works in an office. Everybody knows him as a silent, humble man and even his girlfriend, Nanase, doesn't suspect, that he could be something more. But he is. When a person dies as a victim of murder, kills himself with a curse on his lips, when someone's death needs to be jugded - there he goes, for he is a Judge Of Darkness. Following Laws Of Darkness, with a book made of human skin and an unusual parrot, he makes jugdes over living, that would go free elsewise.

anime#686

Or plot summary from Amazon, if you like:

Most criminals are only concerned with earthly justice — the laws of man. But there is another law. Deep within the spirit world, the dead seek retribution for the crimes committed against them by the living. These restless spirits have their own codes of justice, and they've chosen the Judge of Darkness to enforce them. Yet, even the damned have rights as Judge and Defense struggle over a single soul before the mighty Ten Kings of Hell!

Thanks to all those that showed interest.

I can finally get some sleep.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
sackie wrote:
SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!

Been there, done that.

sackie wrote:
I found it! Actually someone on Amazon recognized it and told me the name. It's called Judge.

Plot Summary: Hoichiro Ohma works in an office. Everybody knows him as a silent, humble man and even his girlfriend, Nanase, doesn't suspect, that he could be something more. But he is. When a person dies as a victim of murder, kills himself with a curse on his lips, when someone's death needs to be jugded - there he goes, for he is a Judge Of Darkness. Following Laws Of Darkness, with a book made of human skin and an unusual parrot, he makes jugdes over living, that would go free elsewise.

anime#686

Thanks for calling my attention to that. I've fixed the awful grammar and spelling.

- abunai
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
There are literally dozens (maybe even hundreds) of ways to write the (usually) female personal name Hitomi, and most of them involve two kanji. But some (e.g., 睛) are single-kanji names. However, in this case, we have no way of knowing, because the three members of the group in question affect the use of katakana to write their personal names.

Hitomi's full name is Watanabe Hitomi: 渡辺瞳
http://www.nigun-niiba.co.jp/watanabe/index.html

Yuko's full name is Asami Yuuko: 浅見ユウコ
http://ameblo.jp/asami-yuko/

I used to have Yuki's full name from a list of celebrity auditions, but I lost the link. Looks like she's fallen off the map.
Shampola

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Im in need once more of the power of the people!! I have seen an anime that it's story interest me a lot yet i only found it unsubed and in a Kanji tittle.

It's a hentai first of all. Starts with two school girls talking at the school rooftop. Appears to be summer, as they complain about the extreme heat. Then a huge flash of light appears in the sky and everything goes blank. when the heroine wakes up (short blue hair, half tanned skin. appears she belongs to a swimming club or such) she's in a dungeon with many military men "interrogating" many women. So far your typical rape fetich but thats where things turn. A strange violet star appears in her left breast. And the next day, she start hearing a voice in her head that trying to help her scape. Later she finds out that this voice in no other than a red headed demon that killed most of the guards to help her escape.

There's where it got my attention and ill will not continue the chapter until i get a name. Please, your assistance is needed.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Shampola wrote:
Im in need once more of the power of the people!! I have seen an anime that it's story interest me a lot yet i only found it unsubed and in a Kanji tittle.
Free online translator. Copy, paste Kanji letters, select translate Japanese to English. Then use ANN encyclopedia to go on from there assuming nobody is able to identify the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 126 of 572