• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Late Akira Toriyama Planted Mysteries in the New Demon Realm Just For Dragon Ball Daima

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did the late Toriyama create the Demon Realm from scratch? It wasn't part of the official worldbuilding until this anime.

It sort of was. During the Buu Saga of Dragon Ball Z, supporting villain Dabura is introduced as "the king of the Demon Realm." We never get any more specifics on the place before Dabura is eventually killed off. So the Demon Realm remained as the one established part of the Dragon Ball cosmology that had never been explored. So for Daima, it seems Toriyama took this bit of canon he established 30 years ago and built on it to create a new world and a new series. Pretty amazing!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:
Did the late Toriyama create the Demon Realm from scratch? It wasn't part of the official worldbuilding until this anime.

It sort of was. During the Buu Saga of Dragon Ball Z, supporting villain Dabura is introduced as "the king of the Demon Realm." We never get any more specifics on the place before Dabura is eventually killed off. So the Demon Realm remained as the one established part of the Dragon Ball cosmology that had never been explored.

I believe it was actually introduced in the original Dragon Ball anime -- in a filler episode, even! Prior to the second Budokai Tournament arc, Goku spends some time wandering around aimlessly for "training" (he actually first encounters Tien and Chiaozu this way, rather than at the Budokai like in the manga). At one point, he comes across a village that's being terrorized due to demons, emerging into the world via a mystical gate -- so Goku forces his way into the demon realm and beats up the big bad demon (who I think was demanding human sacrifices or something). IIRC he even teamed up briefly with a "good" demon. I remember it as one of the better standalone episodes, alongside Goku's first time in the big city.

Two arcs later, we get Demon King Piccolo. Piccolo was later retconned to be an alien, not a demon, but Daima has since retconned the retcon to make Namekians both aliens and demons.

But a lot of the worldbuilding of early Dragon Ball kinda didn't fit with the revamped, more sci-fi setting introduced with Radtiz/DBZ. Plenty of demons and demon-like monsters used to roam around the world, King Piccolo himself was served by multiple demons (though it's possible he created them all himself, which I guess could make them Namekian-mutants or something). There's always been this weird tension in the setting due to the switch in genres -- both in terms of plot and setting -- that was never really resolved, even with the ultimate reintroduction of fantasy elements in the concluding arc (like Dabura).

We can also probably assume, safely, that Hell (or HFIL) and the Demon Realm are the same place, and Hell's appeared in quite a lot of anime-original content -- in the Saiyan Saga, several movies, and GT, too, iirc. I think it's clear enough that while the Demon Realm was only ever implicit in the manga, most of the anime has been produced with the assumption that it's a place that exists in the setting, from very nearly the beginning of the series.

(Please don't think I bring this up because I have a good memory for these things -- I don't, and may still be misremembering the details somewhat. It's just that I've been slowly making my way through the original Toei adaptations of Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon of late, so both are relatively fresh in mind.)
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

But a lot of the worldbuilding of early Dragon Ball kinda didn't fit with the revamped, more sci-fi setting introduced with Radtiz/DBZ.

This is all really good analysis! It's true that Dragon Ball's switch to a less magical setting at the start of Z caused some real tension, and I feel like the Buu Saga was partially Toriyama trying to get back to that original flavor: it featured a purely magical villain who was summoned by a wizard and a demon, magical elements like fusion, the Kais, and the Z-Sword, and none of the scifi stuff we'd been seeing since Raditz (aside from what had already been introduced previously.)

And with Daima featuring a child Goku and promising more of a focus on adventure like the original show, it makes sense that he introduced a more fantasy-based setting for it. It feels more back-to-basics than GT did, with its outer space setting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1