• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:03 am Reply with quote
Re:Zero is back! With great animation/directing, strong character dynamics and intrigue, and Subaru Natsuki catching up on all the deaths and despair he missed in the one year time skip!

Not even five minutes into the episode and Regulus is already going on a rant! It didn't take him that long at all.

Well, I guess it's good that the Sin Archbishops don't all get along because the only thing keeping Emilia safe from Sirius is Regulus wanting her to be his new wife.

Poor Otto. Dude just out to get some sweets and ends up running into frikkin' LYE, the Archbishop of Gluttony, of all people. Guy can't catch a break.

Marvel at the amazing SubaruxBeatrice team! Complete with a great tag-team of magic and Subaru even landing a hit on Regulus with his Invisible Hand! I mean, it didn't do any damage, but still! And now Sirius thinks he's Petelgeuse.

So...I'm getting the sense Sirius' marriage to Petelgeuse was all in her head because she's so obsessed with him. Like, she was basically just his stalker who didn't pay her much mind and she took that to be him returning her affections. Though it also sounds like he "created" her? And now that Subaru has his Witch Factor, her affections have turned to him!

Regulus talks about "love" but he didn't even know Emilia's name (so...did Pandora literally tell them ANYTHING or did he just not care?) and only cares about her face. What a charmer.

This was all the Sin Archbishops' FREE TIME!? So NOW they're going to do what they actually came to Priestella to do? That also happens to include kidnapping Emilia to be "wed" to Regulus. Jeez.

If you were wondering how things were going with Garfiel being reunited with his mom...a pretty mixed bag! I mean, he's got half-siblings he never knew about, his mom has completely forgotten about him (but she still seems to recollect his taste in tea), and it's not even her fault...her quest to find his and Frederica's father ended with her in an accident that gave her amnesia, and she just happened to find a man who helped save her and is so devoted to her as her husband. What can Garfiel even say to that? Even if he wants so much to be with his mom again. But at least he's got Mimi and her pure love for him to get him through this.

Is that Aoi Yuki on the broadcast as the Sin Archbishop of Lust, Capella, calling people "meat sacks?" Okay, this'll be fun.

Well, good news is that Beatrice was able to put her all into healing everybody before Als and Felis showed up to finish it up and keep everybody alive, but the bad news is Beatrice is out of commission and badly in need of mana. Good job, Beako.

So the Witch's Cult is there to find Witch's remains? And they've taken over the town? The response team doesn't even know they're dealing with FOUR Archbishops yet.

Garfiel is a good son. He hears his half-siblings are missing, his moms' new husband is in danger, and he commits to saving them.

Skipped ED counter: 1
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah. The first episode felt like Detective Conan due to the set up. I'm surprised Kenjiro Tsuda 's characters tend to have similar traits like a wasted middle aged while Akira Ishida is voicing probábly his most toxic character ever
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's frustrating to think that just when she was primed to have a more active role in her own fate, she was basically removed from the story.

An understandable frustration, but you'll be pleasantly surprised later

I'm here to correct any notable mistranslations or errors in the subs, as despite being their biggest seasonal, Season 3 has been frustratingly rife with them so far

There were a number of pretty egregious mistakes in the premiere that pretty dramatically changed the meaning of certain interactions or plot points, but those mistakes *were* corrected a few days later. The ones below, have not yet been.

In Episode 2:

- at 4:38, Subaru's name is used instead of "Lusbel". While some people thought this was intentional given Sirius' Authority and how Subaru and Lusbel's emotions were becoming intertwined, that is not the case. Sirius shouldn't even know Subaru's name

-a bit of a two-fold mistake here, but at 20:18, when Emilia says "My eyes, my voice, and my sliver hair were all things the person I loved praised", it's actually supposed to be plural, the "people I loved". She's not just talking about Subaru, she's talking about her loved ones, namely Fortuna and the other inhabitants of Elior Forest. When in her next line, she talks about "being the same as the most amazing woman in the world", she is also talking about Fortuna, although the choice of wording in the subs obfuscates this. Basically, by insulting Emilia's physical traits, she's not just insulting her, she's insulting her mother too, and she takes offense to that.

In Episode 3:

- this first one is a little odd, because it's technically correct, but some people might say is not the most appropriate, it's the use of "waifu" at 6:00. There was already a lot of discourse around this, but what most people don't realize is that it's thematically accurate to the intent of the scene. What's happening in this exchange is that Regulus is using flowery language to describe Emilia as his "bride", and Subaru is turning it around, using rougher language in a much more flippant tone, as if to mock his pretentious way of speaking. So in that sense, "Emilia is my waifu" isn't *wrong*, but I would've gone with something like "Emilia is my girl" or something like that.

- at 7:12, instead of "giving someone a name", it's actually "assuming someone's name". In essence, Regulus is suggesting that Sirius was not actually as romantically involved with Petelgeuse as she claims, and just took his family name without his permission. Her ramblings afterward only seem to confirm this
Daidan12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
"It's always interesting how the Archbishops (and the Witches, for that matter) don't directly match the stereotyped personality for their associated sins. Regulus' greed, for example, comes out in the form of extreme self-centeredness rather than a need to obtain everything he sets his eyes upon."

I think it does apply to the Witches but not for the Archbishops, Regulus is a greedy fudge in "I will get whatever I want in whatever form I want".
He wants others to die when they wrong him, he wants other to please him when he wants to, he will kill whoever has something he wishes to possess.
He's a perfect representation of greed, the stereotypical one comes with these implications too but maybe not as ruthless.
Albin0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Can’t wait to see people’s reactions when they realize spoiler[Subaru doesn’t die again after the second episode for the remainder of this arc.]
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Daidan12 wrote:
I think it does apply to the Witches but not for the Archbishops, Regulus is a greedy fudge in "I will get whatever I want in whatever form I want".
He wants others to die when they wrong him, he wants other to please him when he wants to, he will kill whoever has something he wishes to possess.
He's a perfect representation of greed, the stereotypical one comes with these implications too but maybe not as ruthless.

Specifically, the witches' sins materialize in ways that while flawed and "anti social" in ways that are hard to get along with others, aren't necessarily evil or evil-intentioned, like Echidna's Greed materializing as hoarding both knowledge and useless trivia alike, or Minerva Wrath making her the sworn enemy of injury and pain.

The Archbishops are all about superficial virtue. Petelguese preached on and on about the virtues of diligence and how everyone not diligent deserved death, but had a truly slothful mind that lacked any thought of his own and simply followed whatever the gospel said to the letter. Sirius waxes poetically about love and being (superficially) nice to others (Thank you! And I'm sorry!) , but as we've seen she's quick to throw into a murderous frenzy. Likewise Regulus is all about being cordial, respectful and aware of the needs (and rights) of others... But he's actualy too self-centered to realize that should go both ways and it's not all about his rights and needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1